WnSoft Forums

Problem with Windows 10 Feature Update

mawcamera

The latest feature update to Windows 10 just auto installed on the club laptop and was a lengthy process. After installation no PTE exe files would run; all crashed showing a Access Violation Exception whether they were exe files I had produced or those that had been produced by other AV Group members. PTE opened and seemed to run but as I need the laptop for a group showcase rehearsal tonight  I did not have time to investigate further and so I returned the laptop to the previous version of Windows and all is now well.

Other problems are reported with this update including web browsers ceasing to work etc. On my own desktop I have temporarily turned off auto update until the situation is clearer.

Adrian

President Leeds AV Group

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the problem seems to be the nvidia drivers, while using the integrated intel gpu the exe file and pte are executed regularly.

My laptop has nvidia geforce GT 720M but there are no driver updates, driver is 23.21.13.9135 date 23-3-2018

To make PTE work I had to disable the use of gpu nvidia on exe and PTE files .... It is not possible.

Update

Following helpful suggestions above, for which thanks, I installed the Features Update on my i7 HP Desktop with an AMD Radeon R9 380 graphics card and immediately after the Windows Update was complete I installed the latest Radeon driver, dated 30th April 2018, from their website and all works well. Both PTE itself and exe files run normally.

Encouraged by this I returned to the AV Group's Medion Erazer i7 Laptop with an NVidia 870M graphics card and reinstalled the Windows 10 Feature update. I then went to the NVidia website and downloaded and installed the latest driver for the 870M, dated April 25th 2018, BUT no joy. Although PTE itself would run, PTE sequence exe files still crash with the Application Error noted above. I then returned to the previous version of Windows 10 using the recovery tab in the settings app.

Until after our Showcase event on May 12th I will not be repeating my attempt to complete this update and have turned off auto update by running (windows-key-R) services.msc and turning the Windows Update start option to disable.

Adrian

President Leeds AV Group

Thx Adrian. Your experience confirm that The problem is nvidia driver and the damn update of Windows 10. I hope someone solves this disaster.

In the case of laptop pc with dual graphics card, the solution is simple: just disable the use of the nVidia card and force the system to use the integrated intel card, obviously doing so you lose the benefits of a powerful graphic acceleration!

Igor if you're there, knock once please!!! :unsure:

I apologize for this problem. We'll try to reproduce this situation with our laptop.

1. If you have this problem please let me know - model name of your laptop and name of NVIDIA video card.

2. Also please download and run the following test slideshows created in several last versions of PTE 9:

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/pte9013.exe

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/pte9014.exe

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/pte9015.exe

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/pte9016.exe

Let me know about results.

HP desktop i7 with AMD Radeon R9 380 video card and Windows Feature update installed, all your shows run without problem. Please excuse me not running them on my laptop but I need that for a public show this Saturday and do not wish to risk its stability and availability for the show.

Adrian

I have a Medion gaming notebook with an Intel graphics system and an Nvidia 770M. The Nvidia driver is 397.31.

Here are my observations:

1. pte9013, pte9014, pte9015, pte9016 all run well on the notebook's own monitor when choosing the Intel system

2. pte9013, pte9014, pte9015, pte9016 all show an access violation (as to be seen in the posts above) when running on the notebook's own monitor while using the Nividia 770M

3. pte9013, pte9014, pte9015, pte9016 all run well on an external monitor (via HDMI) when using the Nividia 770M

Additional observation when using the notebook's own monitor: When I just click pte9013 and pte9014, they start using the Intel graphic system (which is default). When I click pte9015 and pte9016, they start using the Nvidia system (even though the Intel system is default).

21 minutes ago, jt49 said:

Additional observation when using the notebook's own monitor: When I just click pte9013 and pte9014, they start using the Intel graphic system (which is default). When I click pte9015 and pte9016, they start using the Nvidia system (even though the Intel system is default).

@Jt

even my system behaves like this

The situation seems to me be outside of Igor and his team to affect. The problems I encountered were with a variety of sequences produced using PTE 7, 8 and 9 by various members of our AV Group. A change to PTE's structure would surely not affect the failure of a Laptop with the Windows 10 Feature update 1803 and an NVidia card installed to reliably run any PTE exe file. Many AV groups, like ours, have a large archive of exe files produced by their members, some of whom are sadly no longer with us. the situation as it is, at its worst, threatens the viability of these archives on our current systems and at its best forces, us to use the mother board based Intel video processor with consequent loss of quality!!

It is to be hoped that somewhere between Microsoft and NVidia a solution to this situation can be found and found quickly!

Adrian

For me the situation is not OK, but not extremely bad, as the Nvidia system only does not work for PTE shows with the notebook's own monitor. When using external devices via HDMI the shows run well (PTE shows, V8 and V9). BTW: Shows created with m.objects and Wings Platinum are not affected.

1 hour ago, jt49 said:

When using external devices via HDMI the shows run well (PTE shows, V8 and V9). BTW: Shows created with m.objects and Wings Platinum are not affected.

because of the particular architecture due to the dual graphics card, when the HDMI output is used, I believe that the system uses the INTEL video card, this is the reason why on HDMI there are no problems.

3 hours ago, mawcamera said:

It is to be hoped that somewhere between Microsoft and NVidia a solution to this situation can be found and found quickly!

Adrian 

I also think like you, but I'm pessimistic ... I do not think that nVidia or Microsoft have in their plans the solution to this problem that concerns a very small part of users (us) and seems to be really a small thing in the sea of trouble.

I have more confidence that Igor can identify the problem and give him a report to Microsoft or nVidia for the solution.

24 minutes ago, pisolomau said:

.... because of the particular architecture due to the dual graphics card, when the HDMI output is used, I believe that the system uses the INTEL video card, this is the reason why on HDMI there are no problems.

This is definitely not true. When using HDMI my notebook automatically uses the Nvidia systems (Video, and (if the external device, like a TV, has an Audio component) Audio as well).

17 minutes ago, jt49 said:

This is definitely not true. When using HDMI my notebook automatically uses the Nvidia systems (Video, and (if the external device, like a TV, has an Audio component) Audio as well).

then the problem is even more serious, because it involves driver of graphics card, operating system and monitor .... I am confused. :wacko:

Thanks for checking.

It seems that Geforce 720, 770 and 870 are affected.

Currently we're trying to find laptops with these NVIDIA graphics to reproduce this problem and find find the solution.

We couldn't reproduce this problem on laptops with older NVIDIA graphics (500 series).

Have now checked the comments from jt49 (for which many thanks) and can confirm his findings. PTE exe files will not run on the laptop's monitor using the NVidia card but will run using the integrated graphics.

however, connecting the Laptop to an external monitor (I do not have a projector to hand) using an HDMI lead changes the position. PTE exe files will now run using either the Integrated Graphics or the NVidia card. The architecture of this Medion Laptop is such that the HDMI output runs from the NVidia card by default. I am able to select the NVidia card as default and also run sequence exe files by right clicking the file and selecting run with high quality graphics card (NVidia default). All you test files run with the NVidia card through the HDMI output it is only on the monitor that I cannot run them with the NVidia card.

The specification of the Laptop is

MEDION® ERAZER® X7829 (MD98774)

Technical Details

• CPU: Intel ® Core ™ processor i7-4710MQ
  • Operating System Windows 10, Feature Update 1803
  • Clock Speed: 2.5GHz
  • Memory Capacity: 16GB
  • Hard Drive Capacity: 1.000GB
  • SSD Capacity: 128GB
  • Screen Size: 43.9 cm (17.3 ")
  • Aspect Ratio: 16: 9
  • Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels

Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M DirectX 11 graphics with 3GB GDDR5 memory and digital HDMI ™ audio / video output + NVIDIA Optimus ™ technology  

Adrian

President Leeds AV Group

By the way, on my laptop also when I using external devices via HDMI with nvidia card, PTE.exe doesn't works.

edit: windows update proposed a new update (KB4103721) I installed it but nothing has changed... <_<

Igor

At around 6 am on 26 April I encountered a problem with PtE 9 Basic and appeared to lose the sequence I was working on and trying to save and also, within seconds, the 3 previously saved versions of this sequence.  One of the error messages was "EAccessViolation in module Pictures to Exe.exe at 00000000".  I reconstructed the sequence and saved it, published it and all seemed well until I tried to play it again on 4 May, and since, when all I get is the eggtimer and that Pictures to Exe is not responding.  I am new to this software and indeed, Windows 10 and therefore struggling somewhat.  Pte 9013.exe played OK, the rest of the test shows were not deemed safe by AVG.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 17-7778 with NVidia Ge Force 940MX - 2GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Please advise.  Thank you

No change:

Despite a further update to windows 10 today (May 9th) and downloading an driver update for the NVidia 870M also dated 09/05/2018, there is no change. basically

1. PTE exe files will NOT run on the laptop's own monitor and show the EAccess Violation as before.
  2. PTE exe files, PTE etc. will all run when laptop connected to an external monitor via HDMI. They seem to run without difficulty.

Sorry Igor that message is not more positive.

Adrian