WnSoft Forums

computer memory used?

nonajo

If I have a 700mb CD of pte shows divided into 7 chapter files accessible via button links and initiated with autorun, when a viewer places the CD in their player, how much of the 700mb is actually loaded into their system?

Will their system have to "load" the entire CD to play?

Will their system only read the autorun and access the program and photos from the CD?

If PtE can run on the viewer's PC by only accessing a small file into their system and retaining the bulk of the mbs on the CD, how can I insure this product delivery to them? What program should I use?

This question is the cornerstone of my producing travel CDs or having to switch over to VHS and DVD. I would like to do all 3 medias but not if my clients would not be able to view the CDs because of memory issues.

thanx

nonajo

Hi Nonayo, and welcome!

But how many questions - and not so easy! I will try to answer as well as I can... But if someone doesn't agree, please post your opinion!

when a viewer places the CD in their player, how much of the 700mb is actually loaded into their system?

- As far as I now, only autorun.inf and the main menu.

Will their system have to "load" the entire CD to play?

- No, absolutely it will haven't.

Will their system only read the autorun and access the program and photos from the CD?

- Yes, as I said. System will access only to autorun.inf and to main menu. Not to pictures (besides images on the menu).

If PtE can run on the viewer's PC by only accessing a small file into their system and retaining the bulk of the mbs on the CD, how can I insure this product delivery to them? What program should I use?

- This question is not clear for me. When the system accesses to a presentation, the soundtrack is loaded in the cache memory. The pictures are loaded one by one. If you refer to minimum requirements of the machine, I think we can indicate a Pentium 2 450MHz with at least 128 MB of Ram (for a show with 800 x 600 pictures Jpeg, about 100 - 130 MB each, and Mp3 soundtrack). But this a rather severe estimation. The show can run also on a 266MHz machine, but for example the smoothness of fading transitions is not quite satisfactorily.