WnSoft Forums

Solution of the problem with laptops with NVIDIA graphics and Windows 10

Igor

Description of the problem:

PicturesToExe, and executable shows don't work, error message appears.

This problem occurs on laptops with dual NVIDIA graphics and updated version of Windows 10 (April 2018 update). 

PicturesToExe 8 and 9 are affected.

Solution:

Install the updated version of PicturesToExe 9.0.17

or install the updated previous version PicturesToExe 8.0.23

Alternate solutions 

If you need to run old versions or old executable shows on a laptop with NVIDIA graphics and Windows 10 (April 2018):

A. Select a shortcut with PicturesToExe, or select an EXE file with a slideshow. Click right mouse button to show the context menu > Run with graphics processor > choose "Integrated graphics" (or Intel graphics). Intel video card will work correctly.

B. Or connect an external monitor as a primary display to your laptop. PicturesToExe will work correctly.

P.S. I bring our apologies for this unpleasant problem! We tend to think that there is a bug in NVIDIA drivers under updated Windows 10, because that error occurs when PicturesToExe tries to initilize graphical mode of DirectX. In the updated version we masked the error message to provide the correct work of PicturesToExe. Also I sent a report to NVIDIA with a description of this problem and we hope that it will be fixed in future updates.

Discussion of this problem here

• Igor changed the title to Solution of the problem with laptops with NVIDIA graphics and Windows 10
  • Igor pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I am not sure if this is a related problem:

On my desktop I have the same problem. Previews of a show containing HD video run jerkily. The exe file also runs jerkily. I don't get any error messages. I am running version 9.0.19.

If I make an mp4 HD video it runs fine. I am running Windows 10 with the 1803 update. I have a Radeon graphics card and AMD processor.

Ray

display settings.JPG

specs.JPG

Hi, I am not sure if this is a related problem:

On my desktop I have the same problem. Previews of a show containing HD video run jerkily. The exe file also runs jerkily. I don't get any error messages. I am running version 9.0.19.

If I make an mp4 HD video it runs fine. I am running Windows 10 with the 1803 update. I have a Radeon graphics card and AMD processor.

Ray

Hi Judy,

The original video was shot at 1920 by 1080, 50fps. It runs smoothly in Windows Media Player or Movies & TV. I only get problems when it is running inside PTE (having converted it as normal) or when part of an exe file. I do close other programmes and check the task manager to make sure the computer is not busy trying to do other things.

Ray 

On 9/7/2018 at 9:05 PM, smokinggoldfish said:

Ray,

Did you have this problem before you updated Windows 10 to v1803 on this computer?

Current version of PTE works better with HD video clips when you export your project as a MP4 video. It's very difficult task to mix HD videos with images and animations in real time (for the EXE format and fullscreen preview).

In future PTE 10 we will introduce new video decoders which use hardware acceleration and it should allow playback of projects with HD video clips (and probably 4K videos) in EXE format and fullscreen preview. I spent several months exploring this task and I wrote new code for PTE 10. All code for work with videos was fully rewritten in PTE 10.

Hi Igor,

I can't be sure. I made many AV sequences in the past with HD video incorporated and they were OK. Sometimes on other computers they were jerky but I attributed that to the computer being unable to handle the data rate. Generally on my own machine they were good. Only some HD videos are now a problem. The particular one I had trouble with has a lot of movement as it is shot from inside a moving tram. Now I can't go back to check if it is OK before the 1803 update without a lot of trouble. But I will check the exe file on another machine that does not have the update, and which normally shows my AVs without a problem. I can do that on Friday (Sept 14th) and let you know.

I also used an older version (PTE 8.0.2) to try make a test with this difficult video and the exe file is still jerky. So maybe this is a different problem to the one you describe?

Meanwhile I will be happy to make mp4 files and to wait for PTE10.

Ray  

Hi

I posted two or three month ago, a similar problem, that was fixed installing an upgrade of the Intel chip driver, that Dell (my computer is a Dell laptop), suggested.

I only click a button in Dell Assistant, so I have not the address of that driver upgrade.

MUR

Ray,

I THINK that your problem might be the same as mine.

If you have a HP with Integrated Graphics i.e. an Intel Card and an nVidea card the problem lies with HP. They modified the Driver for the nVidea card (or both) so any update for this problem would have to come from HP - not nVidea.

DG

On 9/10/2018 at 4:40 PM, smokinggoldfish said:

Hi Igor,

I can't be sure. I made many AV sequences in the past with HD video incorporated and they were OK. Sometimes on other computers they were jerky but I attributed that to the computer being unable to handle the data rate. Generally on my own machine they were good. Only some HD videos are now a problem. The particular one I had trouble with has a lot of movement as it is shot from inside a moving tram. Now I can't go back to check if it is OK before the 1803 update without a lot of trouble. But I will check the exe file on another machine that does not have the update, and which normally shows my AVs without a problem. I can do that on Friday (Sept 14th) and let you know.

I also used an older version (PTE 8.0.2) to try make a test with this difficult video and the exe file is still jerky. So maybe this is a different problem to the one you describe?

Meanwhile I will be happy to make mp4 files and to wait for PTE10.

Ray  

Hello Igor,

I tried the troublesome files on an old but fast desktop computer - running Windows 7 Home Premium service pack one. The exe files made in PTE 9 were still jerky, but the mp4 files ran smoothly. So this issue seems to be a basic one to do with PTE9 and some video clips.

When does PTE10 come out?!

Ray 

• 1 month later...

Hi Igor,

It has taken some time for me to update Windows 10 to the 1803 build on my Laptop. However, I am experiencing the same problem as many  in that PTE sequences produced in PTE 9 will not run and display the Error message. I had anticipated that as suggested that by connecting to my projector via the HDMI cable and hiding the laptop screen, the problem would have been solved. Sadly this is not the case. I can Right Click and run using intel graphics but regardless of whether I am connected to an external monitor (projector) or not, sequences produced in PTE9 will NOT run by double clicking.

The laptop is a Chillblast with an I7 processor and NVIDIA graphics card.

Don't know how far we have got with this problem but it means that I cannot run a number of shows in.exe format from my laptop. This is a problem as I have to show various members sequences at a local event, some made in  earlier versions of PTE (which will run OK) and some produced in PTE 9 (and they will not run).

Hope this info helps

TC

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2018 at 10:01 AM, Igor Kokarev said:

We reported about both problems to NVIDIA. 

Same problem with poor performance also occurs with Proshow product. I think that NVIDIA should be interested in solving this important problem.

Hi Igor

any news from NVIDIA regarding these 2 issues?????

• 2 weeks later...

That’s positive news. I create two shows a month for my camera clubs competitions. I’ve had to stop using many of the slide styles I created to show high scoring images, because they looked awful. Even fades sometimes flicker a little too. It’s frustrating to buy a state of the art laptop and it turns in a performance worse than the old one.

Still, it’s reassuring to know they have the cause. I guess that’s the hardest part done. Once you have a cause a solution should follow