WnSoft Forums

Poor performance under Win10 (v1803) on laptops with dual NVIDIA graphics

chanfi22

On 5/10/2018 at 7:50 PM, pisolomau said:

test10 starts up with both graphic systems;  

test9017 only works with the Intel system but only if the intel card is selected from right click menù even though the Intel system is default.

Same behavior with one of my laptop. OK for test 10 when NVIDIA is activated but I have to deactivate the NVIDIA card to be able to run test9017.

Laptop ASUS GL552JX Intel Core I5 with 2 graphic cards : Intel inside and NIVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 950M

• 2 weeks later...

The Windows 10 Feature Update hit me last evening and I have spent most of today recovering.

None of the "fixes" here helped. Although I was able to assign PTE to the nVidia Graphics card the reality was that the Intel 530 HD was actually being used - animations jittery and unsmooth compared to yesterday.

I had no option other than to revert to yesterday's Windows version and that has cured the problem.

In doing this I noticed that it is impossible to assign programmes like MPC and Media Player to the nVidia card.

Another wasted day - thank you Microsoft!!

DG

Dave,

In theory, PTE 9.0.15+ should use NVIDIA graphics instead of Intel if drivers are working correctly. 

Try to manually re-install NVIDIA drivers downloaded from their website.

P.S. I also recently updated Windows 10 and I feel that my old PC worked faster 5-7 years ago with Windows 7...
My colleague IT professional recommended re-install Windows 10 from a scratch. If update from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10, and then update several times Windows 10 to newer versions - it vastly slows down a computer.

Igor,

Whenever I try to update drivers for the nVidia card I am told either that no updates are available or that the downloaded update is not appropriate. Someone else reported this earlier.

The laptop came preloaded with W10.

As I reported, I can assign PTE to the nVidia card but there is no difference in performance - jittery animation.

As soon as I reverted to the previous Windows version the performance returned to normal.

I tried right clicking on an EXE and trying to force it to use nVidia but the performance was bad.

DG

It's a quite strange behaviour of updated Windows 10. There should be difference between NVIDIA and Intel graphics. I'm sure that video card works not correctly.

I will ask tomorrow my colleague, he is a good expert for Windows 10.

Send me dxdiag information (Win+R > type dxdiag )

Hi Igor

as devegee, following Windows 10 Update (1803) and using last PTE 9.0.17 I noticed the performance is not good when using NVIDIA card and strangly the perfomance is better when using the internal Intel graphic card.

I ran the dxdiag and all seems normal??

One of the things that I tried was to disable the Intel Card in the Device Manager thinking that this might force the use of the nVidia Card.

The result was that the laptop reverted to some sort of basic graphics unit and the nVidia did not exist.

I also tried connecting the laptop to my main external monitor. While the indication was that the nVidia was being used the performance was really bad.

The only way (for me) was to go back to the previous version.

DG

Dave,

Thanks, check my new reply in PM.

2 hours ago, chanfi22 said:

Hi Igor

as devegee, following Windows 10 Update (1803) and using last PTE 9.0.17 I noticed the performance is not good when using NVIDIA card and strangly the perfomance is better when using the internal Intel graphic card.

I ran the dxdiag and all seems normal??

Please send me dxdiag information. Press Win + R, type dxdiag and press Enter. Click Save button to export dxdiag report.

Also make a screenshot of your Device Manager (tutorial) expand item Display Adapter to see name of your video card(s)

I checked work of executable show created in Proshow Producer 9 and found same problem with performance.

By default, Proshow executable plays not smooth, FPS is low. If I force this app on NVIDIA card - I see same problem. If I force app for Intel graphics - it works better.

Same for PTE 9 shows.

So we can conclude that it's a critical bug in NVIDIA drivers for Windows 10 (v1803).

Sample with Proshow executable

We tried to update drivers, or install old drivers (for Intel and NVIDIA graphics). Without success. Performance is very bad in many 3D applications including PicturesToExe 9.

If you have a laptop with dual graphics NVIDIA + Intel DO NOT update Windows 10 (to version 1803) while NVIDIA and Intel are not fixed problems in their drivers. I think it may take 1-2 months.

I noticed another problem on laptops with NVIDIA + Intel graphics after update to Windows 10 (version 1803),

Hardware encoding of video does not work in future PTE 10. And ffmpeg app has same problem. So we observe at least 2 problems:

1. Poor performance of NVIDIA graphics.

2. No hardware acceleration for video encoding.

2 minutes ago, davegee said:

Are there any problems on desktop pcs with W10 and nVidia and the latest update??

Dave,

Desktop computers with NVIDIA Geforce 1060 work fine with the latest update of Windows 10.

Fast and smooth work of PTE. And hardware encoding of video works fine.

The problem occurs only with laptops with dual graphics (NVIDIA + Intel).

1 hour ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Dave,

Desktop computers with NVIDIA Geforce 1060 work fine with the latest update of Windows 10.

Fast and smooth work of PTE. And hardware encoding of video works fine.

The problem occurs only with laptops with dual graphics (NVIDIA + Intel).

I confirm. No pb on mys desktop with NVIDIA GTX760

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Regrettably NVIDIA didn't fix the problem with a slow performance of mobile NVIDIA GeForce in laptops under Windows 10 April 2018 Update (v1803).

Since PTE 9.0.15 (January 2018) we used NVIDIA graphics on laptops by default to improve performance.

However now with Windows 10 v1803 it caused great problem with jerky playback of PTE presentations. Same problem also occurs with Proshow presentations. It means that it's a problem in NVIDIA drivers or in Windows 10.

So I see only one solution for now. Use again Intel graphics by default in laptops with NVIDIA graphics. Because it works much better than broken NVIDIA graphics. If NVIDIA (or Microsoft) will fix the problem, we can again switch to NVIDIA graphics.

PTE 9.0.19 Beta:

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/picturestoexe-setup.exe

Users of Windows 7/8 and old versions of Windows 10 still can manually choose NVIDIA graphics for PTE for best performance.

P.S. This described problem doesn't occur with desktop computers, and NVIDIA graphics works ideally well. New PTE 9.0.19 will not bring any changes for these desktop computers.

Today I checked two other laptops with NVIDIA graphics and Windows 10 April 2018 Update (v1803).

1. Laptop with Geforce 1050 + Intel graphics has same problem with poor performance. And PTE 9.0.19 (with Intel graphics by default) works better than previous version 9.0.18 (NVIDIA graphics by default).

2. Laptop with a single video card NVIDIA Geforce 1060 (no Intel graphics) works without any problem - fast and smooth.

So if you consider to buy a new fast laptop, I recommend to prefer a model with a single video card - Geforce 1060.
Or choose a laptop with AMD graphics.

While NVIDIA and Intel didn't fix this problem, I recommend to avoid purchasing of laptops with NVIDIA + Intel dual graphics.