WnSoft Forums

Guides for aligning

I'd like to see the ability to add and drag your own guides (as in Photoshop) - would make aligning objects much easier.

I have to admit here that I am not a fan of the grid in PTE and never use it. Like Eric Davies I would much prefer guides like Photoshop. I think asking for Photoshop's Smart Guides (different to normal guides) is probably an ask too far, but they would be superb also.

Thanks for your comments, Lin and Barry. What I'm thinking of is a clutter-free screen with the ability to drag my own guides to identify a point on. eg a butterfly egg and use that accurate placement to help me align other images where the caterpillar is emerging - I hate it when there's slight juddering due to misalignment. I don't find the normal grid helps because of the number of lines and not being able to pull them into place. I agree that Smart Guides would be great (I use them a lot in Ps) but it probably is as Barry says 'an ask too far'.

I have done the egg sequence, but needed to do it entirely in Photoshop for accuracy and then re-import the JPGs into PTE. Would be nice not to go back and forth so much.

Eric

For your egg project. Have you tried auto Align in Photoshop? That is brilliant for aligning two or more images and sounds like it may help you. Create all the images you want to align into a layered stack. Select them all and choose Edit > Auto Align Layers and then OK.

Then you crop the images to remove transparent areas caused by the align command. Then go to File > Export > Layers to Files and your done

Hi Eric,

You can  do what you want in PTE.

You can adjust the guides by increasing the pixel count, untick the snap to grid & then adjust the offset to get the position you want.
Bit fiddly doing it with a mouse, you can adjust by typing in numbers but would be easier with the arrow keys if Igor can do this
Also by increasing the size of view you can easily adjust to the exact position you need.

Jill

Come to the Workshop afternoons at WGAV & I will show you :rolleyes:

Grid.thumb.JPG.8fc57bc2349b63fe57863811f31d2b45.JPG

Grid2.JPG.527feaf8ce89a776f0944d8301848bdf.JPG

Yes, it sounds like you have not turned off "snap to grid" Eric.  I can align in PTE with pixel precision and you have sufficient movement of grid lines in both horizontal and vertical positions along with size of squares to precisely position cross hairs on any position. 

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks, all. 

The combination of Aligning Layers - I use it often but didn't even think about it for this project! Thick or what?

And I never even saw the Snap to Grid checkbox. Brilliant, that should help a great deal. If I've not solved it by then, we'll look at it in October at Wilmslow, please Jill. 

I'm going to have a play with this again later today so thanks again for the help.

Eric