WnSoft Forums

Do you burn DVD video in PTE?

Igor

Use of VideoBuilder  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you burn DVD video discs in PicturesToExe 9?

• Frequently
    • Rarely
    • Never

Any thoughts what we should do with VideoBuilder (DVD video) in PTE 10?

Now we're fully rewriting the main code of PTE 10 to prepare Mac version, 64-bit, Dark/Light interface.

VideoBuilder is a very old part of PTE. Of course, we can spend additional 3-5 months and fully rewrite it, but DVD video format becomes outdated and less popular with every year. 

Should we remove VideoBuilder, or keep it "as is" without official support?

I take lots of photos as a way of recording rambles for a local group of walkers, many of whom are quite old and just trying to keep mobile!

Most are not very high-tech people but dvds are an ideal way for me to distribute those memories to them, and PTE gives me the perfect platform to do it, so I use it all the time. 

Regards

wideangle

I still find DVD very useful for distribution, and as my players all upgrade the image it still looks very good on TV and via a projector.   The PTE programme works very well for me and therefore I suggest keeping it as is.  I also find that if I have a programme of sequences on a DVD projection is more immediate than waiting for a laptop to boot up!  

I never use DVD but I know a lot of video workers do still use them.

Keep it as it is for now, I don't feel it is worth spending time to update it.

You would be better spending the time on making video editing better with multiple image tracks.

Jill

I wonder if it would be a good decision to offer PTE 10 with a component that will not be supported. It might be better to remove the video builder. There are lots of cheap and even free tools for authoring DVDs and BDs (for those who really want to use them).

Hi Igor,

Jill said "You would be better spending the time on making video editing better with multiple image tracks." Not a bad idea!

But I would ask once more to keep timeline static while you zoom in, I mean, line position static. Now, when we zoom in, timeline runs to left or right.

Thank you.

Jose

My new PC does not include a DVD drive. I would have to connect an external DVD to install disc software or create video discs, but almost everything now is accessible online. The video resolution is so low that I think "as is" like Pixbuilder Studio without support is a good option. Another option is to keep mpeg-2 video output with ISO creation without menu builder or burn engine. Then users could mount ISO or burn with imgburn.

Tom

As long as PTE can output H.264/MP4, there are multiple free programs available to convert (transcode) that video into MPEG-2 format and author a DVD. So, I say don't waste time updating VideoBuilder - getting PTE 10 to market is more important.

Back in the day, I used DVD and CD very often and PTE was very good. However I am now getting older and now use MP4 all of the time.

The more modern computers do not include cd or dvd drives and my guess is that DVD will fall into disuse completely quite soon.

I support leaving Video Builder on PTE at its current version for those users who still use it but, no need to update it.

GET ON WITH WITH GETTING THE MAC VERSION OF PTE UP AND RUNNING PLEASE!

Ron.

Can it be set up as a totally separate stand-alone product?

If so, it could be offered as a free download from the WnSoft website in its current as-is state with no further support offered.

That would leave PTE free to be develeloped without it.

It would also be a solution which is likely to satisfy everybody.

Regards

wideangle

PTE can publish very high quality HD mp4 files which deserve to be burn in Blu-ray discs, not DVD anymore. Such mp4 files can be changed into BD format without any re-encoding, so keeping 100% of their high quality. BD discs result simply amazing! DVD days are finished.

Thanks for all your responses.

5 hours ago, jt49 said:

Question: Will WnSoft have to pay for any kind of licenses in case of publishing the video-builder together with PTE 10, or as a stand-alone application?

Already not, last MPEG-2 patents were expired recently.

5 hours ago, wideangle said:

Can it be set up as a totally separate stand-alone product?

If so, it could be offered as a free download from the WnSoft website in its current as-is state with no further support offered.

That would leave PTE free to be develeloped without it.

It would also be a solution which is likely to satisfy everybody.

Thanks, it's an interesting idea.

I think that wideangle's idea is a good one. If the stand-alone video builder would have the restriction to work with videos only (no PTE-projects) it still could a 32-bit application, and there would not be compatibility problems with new versions of PTE.

• 5 weeks later...

I have stopped burning DVDs several years ago (except very few exceptions) as they are limited to 4.7 GB, as opposed to USB keys with up to 64 GB easily.

Most people I visit have a modern TV set (or attached decoder or DVD player) where I can insert a USB key for direct reading, which is so practical.

Several years ago, I have sent a DVD with pictures to a friend in New Zealand, and the disc arrived broken; I then sent a more compact USB key that survived OK (nowadays I would probably send the files via internet).

Moreover I have found that conventional DVDs are *NOT* to be used for archival as there are several of my recorded discs that I could not read after a few years, although they were hardly ever used. Special long duration surface coatings are provided by the "Gold Professional DVD" by Kodak for instance, claimed to give "up to 100 years archival", but I now prefer multiple hard disc safeguards.

In short: no DVD use for me in PTE.

I can always copy files (individual pictures or PTE output) to a DVD if I need to, with the supplied DVD software.

The main reason I purchased PTE ... my daughter asked me to make a DVD of my grandaughter's 1st year. 

So creating a DVD  was a feature that caught my attention.

As others have mentioned, there are other programs that can burn DVD or BR disc.
... but for ole folk like me, that's another program to purchase and learn. 

I've got my hands full learning PTE. :D

... just my 2 cents.

Hi jmG-06100

I think you may be overlooking the point that Canico was trying to make in that dvd’s  provide a good way for distributing sequences to several people to view.

I send out sequences of photos to my rambling friends after walks, and dvds are a cheap option costing pence. USB sticks aren’t.

Regards

wideangle

Hello wideangle

I get your point, and that's a good option as long as DVDs are not considered as an archival media (my bad past experience).

Another option that I use is "cloud" storage to share images and videos, or to send them via transfer web services such as e.g. WeTransfer.com or GrosFichiers.ch (for up to 2 GB or 4 GB file volumes at once and for free), as long as the friends have an internet connection (fast enough if large volumes).

Hi jmG-06100

Saying "as long as they have an internet connection....." is one assumption too far. Several don't even have a computer!

Quite a few are getting on in years and are using walking as a way of trying to keep fit, but haven't walked along the road of becoming silver surfers!

Regards

wideangle