WnSoft Forums

Hardware antialiasing on or off?

tom95521

I set wait for keypress on slide 3 for time accurate comparison and then screen capture the resize 200% (no AA) using Faststone Capture 9.0 . All the A1,B1,C1,D1 cube images that show on the left side of the screen have edge anti-aliasing enabled (not on the frames, just the images). I still notice slightly more jagged edge with Nvidia AA off. It could be my imagination but I think I see a slight difference. If it does not hurt the graphics performance I will keep Nvidia anti-aliasing override enabled.

Thanks,
Tom

aa_comparison.jpg

Tom,

Send me your project with one slide. I will check it.

Antialiasing for Image and Video objects in PTE should work absolutely ideally without any defects.

Forced antialiasing from NVIDIA may add a grid of visual artefacts in the middle of an image. 

Hi Igor,

Attached is cube array project. It is based on a multiple image style so there is more than one slide (Sorry, I should have deleted the other slides). I have slide 3 set to loop. I only notice the problem in the top three rows on left side of screen A1,B1,C1. Row D1 in lower left of screen seems to be perfect. Nobody else has mentioned a problem so maybe it's just my 62 year old eyes. :( I did not know the hardware AA would cause interference with software AA so will return to the normal mode "enhance the application setting".

Thanks,
Tom

Update. In my subjective opinion having FXAA enabled looks the best (edges of cubes smooth) of all the choices. This is independent of Mode option. This does not fix Publish Show as HD video, it still has the alias problem (for me at least).

https://filedn.com/lpb9iXQfO0Sj6nON93sDIbL/PTE/cubes_aa_test_tom95521.mp4

nvidia_aa_fxaa.thumb.jpg.9721f5167c10557cfac1c5b3d0b89d56.jpg

cubes_aa_test_tom95521_Dec9-2018_6-12-34.zip

Tom,

Thanks, I see this problem. When an object has a certain sharp angle in 3D space the antialiasing doesn't look perfect or looks completely off. I will think how to fix it in PTE 10.

We can easily enable antiliasing from NVIDIA/AMD, but I'm afraid to see visual artefacts in some case. Because large images in PTE are constructed from an array of small textures. And we need a fine control to disable antialiasing on internal edges of such textures. I 'll perform new checks.

Hi Igor,

The hardware AA solution does not currently appear to fix the publish to HD video option. The stair step pattern is still visible. Hope it's not too difficult to solve.

Thanks,
Tom

• 4 months later...
On 12/8/2018 at 9:54 PM, tom95521 said:

My Nvidia card was set to "enhance the application setting" but I think it is better when set to "override the application setting"?

Tom,

We just finished a code of a new edge anti-aliasing algorithm for PTE 10. It will give much better visual result than all previos versions.