WnSoft Forums

Typewriter Simulator

harbrimar

I'm looking for a way to simulate text being typed onto an image e.g. news report effect. I did a search on the forum to see whether anyone had come up with such a template and found there was some discussion several years ago but the links no longer work. Does anyone know if this was progressed into a workable solution?

Regards

Brian

Why not make it yourself and then the final presentation will be all your own work. Apart from the sound effect.Try HERE

Use the sound effect for every letter you want to use. Get the first letter timed with the sound effect in Objects and Animation screen, then you can go from there with some copy and paste. 

That works really well and the technique is one I have used for a live demo. I think it's certainly the quickest way to do it,  probably the easiest too,  but it has some limitations. If you wanted the text over an image for example. It also needs to be a little less regimental. Perhaps some letters need to come faster than others, with a short pause for effect, now and again.

Most of these effects are wanted for a specific project and its why creating something unique for that project, maybe a good way to go. If you used these types of effect too much, they just get annoying. They have a shelf life.

You can tell I don't have much to do this morning. Here's a demo as a result of the post above and an email I received today about demonstrating this technique. This sort of thing really needs to be made specifically for the project in mind. Too much of this would soon drive you nuts. (IMHO)

However, it's not a long job to make start to finish, but I did use a couple of Photoshop skills. The short demo here is an a 60p Mp4  You'll need your speaker on of course

I thought perhaps the OP could work on that having been given the "starter for ten".

Just for you, I have speeded it up a little and added in the Spaces which would not normally be there in "PicturesToExe". I have also added a BG image for you.

Typewriter_Dec20-2018_18-30-02.zip

Like you, I would not want to sit through a prolonged Typed Intro just for the sake of it. But if it has a purpose then a short spell now and then in context is OK.

DG

Brian - could you show us the image you want to type onto?  What is the aspect ratio?  There are a number of ways to do this. Some as Barry and Dave have shown using only PTE and others which are a little more realistic because someone has already done the "heavy lifting."  I suppose it all depends on whether or not you want to do it all in PTE or perhaps have a small video introduction made with another software. Personally, I'm not hung up on using only PTE for a show but incorporating whatever works best to get a solution. If you can provide the text you want to say and the image you want it typed on, I can make a quick sample for you to consider...

Best regards,

Lin

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your suggestions; have been out of circulation with flu etc. Plenty of ideas that I can work through. I was asked to put together an AV illustrating the preparation in producing  an AM DRAM production of 'Oh What A Lovely War'. Behind the scenes photos, rehearsal etc.etc. for club records and the cast. The production had screens that popped up during the performance with news headlines e.g. '1st July - Battle of the Somme  - The British lose 60,000 men on Day 1'.  I have created slides with text showing the news clips interspersed between the images of the dress rehearsal. I thought that a typewriter effect producing the text might look good but possibly too much work for what is required. Incidentally, I have around 300 images (the cast wanted as many as possible) and 7 music tracks. Total length of sequence is 24 mins and the Exe file is 2.84GB. I'm amazed that it seems to run very well on my computer but I might have to go back and reduce the JPEG quality. I'm not sure what media they want the EXE file on. Possibly a DVD, would this be a problem given the file size?

It doesn't have to be that much work. Send me a private message and I'll show you how to do it easily (typewriter simulation) without you needing to spend excess time.

By the way, it's not necessary to reduce jpg "quality," just compression levels and perhaps the size of the original images. There is no advantage at all in using larger images in pixel dimensions that the device resolution they will be used on. Actually, using anything larger than 1920x1080 is rarely needed unless there is a deep zoom into part of the image. 

A DVD will easily hold up to 4.7 gigabytes so not a problem but if you take an exe which is close to exceeding the 32 bit limit and make it into a video, the size might be way larger than will work. My suggestion would be to use a batch re-sizing tool such as Irfanview or Fastone to resize the jpgs to the minimum necessary for the same quality. Use jpg compression of 6 or 7 and it should not affect the quality at all but will greatly diminish the exe size if you are using output directly from a modern digital camera.

Lin

Lin - Thank you for your advice; I have resized the files using Faststone and the EXE file is now down to 380MB from 2.84GB.  Faststone is an an excellent piece of software which I haven't used before. I'm not sure at this moment in what format the cast would like the sequence and explored publishing the sequence 'HD Video for PC' (settings 1920x1080, High Quality, 30p) and that created a file of 1.38GB. Also tried the 'Video for Mobile Devices', (settings Ipad Retina, High Quality, 30p) and the resulting file was the same size; both are MP4 files. Not sure what the difference is between these files apart from that the using the publish to mobile gives you more screen sizes? Surprised at the size of the files though.

Barry & Dave - thanks for demos and they look good. I have been playing around with getting a second line of text, still playing...

Lin - your demo is also very good and you have a second line of text too. I've PM'd you.

Thanks to all

Brian

Hi Brian,

I didn't get the PM - maybe best to check - sometime I have to hit "send" a second time to make my own go through. 

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Brian,

It finally came through and now I got your second message. Go to the messages and look for a reply on your first one. There are a couple links there and let me know if you don't get them.....