WnSoft Forums

Does PTE need a name change

Barry Beckham

Orizaba.

Thanks, I feel much better now, but better than feeling sorry for me. Get your big show posted somewhere so we can see it. If i’m wrong I’m the sort of person who will admit to it in public. So, the balls in your court.

I’m open to having my mind changed, although one show that breaks the norm is hardly representative of the majority. Why do people get so upset about this, the solution is easy. Put your money where you mouth is. That’s an English saying, which basically means prove me wrong. :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, JudyKay said:

I remember back years ago having dinner with Galen Rowell and then watching his slide-projector presentation which I believe lasted about 1.5 hours.

No one present that night went to sleep.

OT

Judy,

How fortunate you were to have met him in person!  I followed his articles and columns religiously and marveled at his abilities and photographic talents.   His death was such a tremendous loss to all photographers.

14 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

Orizaba.

Thanks, I feel much better now, but better than feeling sorry for me. Get your big show posted somewhere so we can see it. If i’m wrong I’m the sort of person who will admit to it in public. So, the balls in your court.

I’m open to having my mind changed, although one show that breaks the norm is hardly representative of the majority. Why do people get so upset about this, the solution is easy. Put your money where you mouth is. That’s an English saying, which basically means prove me wrong. :D

Please, Barry, why should I be interested in changing your mind? I think you missed the point.

Besides, you may be right: just try, for example, to make a 51 minutes long "Hot in the City" (just an example, no offence intended...) and yes, it would fill everybody with dread, so, you are definitely right.

Best regards, for now, as I must get back to my long and dreadful projects. 

Orizaba

I must get back to my dreadful projects !! Why do you have to take a well known fact within AV circles and take it personally. Long slide shows suck, you know it and so does everyone else here know it. Of course there will be an exception to the rule, but generallly we have to keep them short, unless they are instructional or documentary. 

‘Why should you be interested in changing my mind ? Because you’re suggesting I have it all wrong, that your long shows are different,  so show me, convince me?

If you’ve found a way to break the mould and create hour long slide shows people adore, educate those of us who haven’t yet. Help us out, what’s your secret?

Claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence :D

Hello Barry,

Now I can see why your longest PTE project is only 17 minutes, as with this kind and amount of posts you must have little time left to create. Anyhow, thanks for your advice ("keep them short" based in "well known facts" within "AV circles"), I will try hard, even in case of documentaries, thank God for this exception! Will it be the case...?

Best regards.

If I may join in this offshoot of the main topic.

I think Barry is mostly right about long AV's but there are a few points to consider.

I don't think anyone should try to speak for everyone, only say "in my experience".

There is a world of difference between a single person watching a show on a PC or laptop and an audience sitting in a room. It's very easy to stop watching at home and there can easily be distractions.

The fact is people sit for up to three HOURS to watch a film. I know films are different o AV's but it does prove that it is possible to keep a viewer glued to the screen for a long time if the content is good.

On the down side to long AV's, even if each image was on screen for 10 seconds (which is a long time) then you would need 306 images to make a show of 51 minutes!!!!

Certainly my AV's tend to rely on a "trick", like one image slowly being revealed bit by bit, and once the viewer has got it then it can't carry on much over five minutes.

At our Camera Club we have one AV competition per season and it is called "Pieces of Eight". Originally it was called that because one member would put eight pieces of music on a cassette tape (that's how long ago it started) and people had to choose one and add their own images. We kept the name, after that idea stopped, and limited each entry to 8 minutes in length.