WnSoft Forums

mp4 Quality

gogs

There has been a lot of debate around the quality comparison with Exe files and mp4 with the majority saying there is no discernible difference.

I have tried making a couple of slideshows in mp4 at 60fps but find the contrast and colour saturation to be a bit lower than the exe file equivalent.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what might be wrong.

Gogs

1. What are your quality settings in PTE?

2. What video player are you using? Are there any settings there that need looking at?

3. If you have the nVidea Control Panel there are separate controls there for video.

I think that each PC reacts differently to different players - as much as I try to like other players I find that, on my desktop pc, Windows Media Player works best for the MP4 files on my PC.

Hi Dave thanks for getting back to me. Sorry for late reply, only managed to get back on computer just now, been away for most of the day.

My PTE settings are Enable Colour Management Recommended, this is ticked. sRGB selected.

When making mp4 settings are 1920x1080, High Quality, 60p, Pan and Scan Disabled.

I think part of the problem was that Windows Film and TV had been set as default video player. Changed this to Windows Media Player and it improved quite a bit. Also tried VLC and that and Media Player were about the same. Much better than Windows Films and TV which was quite rubbish but still not nearly as good as the Exe file.

I have nVidea so I will try the control panel and see if I can improve. My concern' however is submitting them for viewing on another computer and how they might look. This is why I prefer the Exe files as there seems to be some consistency.

Gogs

Hi Dave.

Had a look at the nVidea Control Panel. The video settings were set to be controlled by the video player. Changed this to allow nVidea to control contrast and colour and it has made a huge difference. Improved greatly. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Gogs

Gogs,

It is possible to put both an EXE and it's mp4 equivalent on Slideshow club for a comparison. Simply upload the mp4 to YouTube and add the embedding link in the description.

That would give you a chance to compare and also for others to comment.

It is possible that you NVidia setting is 16-240 and that o-255  would be better?

DG

Hello Dave

Thanks again. I had changed the setting to 0-255. Have also made sure nVidea is up to date although the graphics card is probably around 5-6 years old.

I am much happier now and comparing on my own PC the Exe files and mp4 videos there is very little or no difference.

I have never uploaded anything to Slideshow club before but might give that a thought.

Thanks again for your help.

Gogs