WnSoft Forums

Extracting images from .exe file

RuthD

Hi - I've got a .exe format file of a photo presentation created in a previous version of Pictures to exe (in 2009!) and these are the only copies of some of the images that I have.

I need to create an updated Pictures to Exe presentation - is there any way I can extract the images from the previous presentation?

Thank you! Ruth

Hi Ruth,

It depends on which version of PTE the show was made with. If it was prior to version 8 it may be possible to decompile, but from version 8 forward the PTE security is very, very strong and the only good way to recover the images is to play the exe on the highest resolution display you have available and screen capture each image.

If you can post a link to the exe  I can check it for you...

Best regards,

Lin

On 1/19/2019 at 9:45 PM, RuthD said:

Hi - I've got a .exe format file of a photo presentation created in a previous version of Pictures to exe (in 2009!) and these are the only copies of some of the images that I have.

I need to create an updated Pictures to Exe presentation - is there any way I can extract the images from the previous presentation?

Thank you! Ruth

Ruth, I have a program that should be able to extract your jpgs from the exe file. I have had a hard time figuring out how to use it but I finally have been successful with a couple of my shows. If you want, send me the exe file and I can try to extract  them. The file size is the same as the original size  so you should not lose any resolution, as you might doing screen capture. Let me know and  I can give it a try. Maybe just upload it  to the SSC and I can download it or do a Dropbox.

Gary

• 2 months later...

Greetings Cedric,

I still have the program that should be able to extract images from a PTE exe file. I haven't used it in a long while and it is not an intuitive program. But, sure, if you can get it to me, I will be glad to give it a try. Hope I can remember how to do it. You can try  a new way of sending files, mentioned by Igor.

Try: https://send.firefox.com/

Seems pretty easy to use. I sent my email address to your PTE message box.

Gary

1 hour ago, Cedric Dawnhawk said:

Many thanks Gary for successfully extracting the images

Andrew

Glad it worked out. The program I use is not very intuitive. Tried every combination of settings until I got it right. But I kept getting an error message, "Encoded JPG detected (Photodex)...". Was this show created by  ProShow? Just curious.

Gary