WnSoft Forums

Threshold Mask Transitions

davegee

Hi,

The threshold works well with level only.

When you add saturation=-100 or toning: Grayscale there is a difference as you can see in the project.

You have not 256 levels but only about 30, the transition is not fluid (for me) and it is not really a threshold mask transition.

Or I made a mistake ?

Denis

effet de seuil2_Feb5-2019_14-36-34.zip

Thank you Dave for helping to raise awareness of threshold masks.
Denis, thank you for your relevant comments. The configuration of the threshold effect as described in the tutorial does not allow more than 30 levels to be obtained.

I improved the technique to obtain a clean threshold effect with the possibility of having 256 levels. In the example below, I have configured only 128 levels. By configuring a clean threshold, the effect obtained is too hard for me but it can be suitable with some kind of pattern. By discarding the value of the black and white level, a softer effect is obtained (example 3).

I still need to improve the soft version, and I will update the tutorial on DiaporaShop.

Best regards,
Pascal.

Threshold_Feb8-2019_14-45-28.zip

Hello Denis,

The technique of threshold masks is an opportunity to create new and interesting effects with PTE. This technique can be used not only for transition effects but also for animations. This is the case with the Brush Strokes and Watercolor styles available in the post https://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/topic/20674-power-of-color-filters/?tab=comments#comment-137019.

Both styles use soft masks with threshold effect.

I think there is a real creative field ahead of us.

Pascal.

• 2 weeks later...

The tutorial (in French) on DiaporaShop website that describes how to create a threshold mask transition has been updated.
To avoid all the tedious work of creating the threshold effect, you can download two ready-to-use transition templates for free from the shop (You will need to have a user account).

Best regards,
Pascal.