WnSoft Forums

PTE MENU

JEB

Hi Folks,

I am building a menu in PTE 9 something I have done a number of times in the past. On this occasion one of the four shows has been converted to MP4. I wasn't aware that this would be a problem, being under the impression I had used MP4 in the past. However PTE is not finding any MP4 whatsoever. Should this be the case? Am I missing something? I am using "Run Application or Open File" from the drop down as a couple of the PTE shows were made on older versions of PTE and "Run Slideshow With Return" won't work. 

Advice please.

I can't believe that this should be the case given that so many people are burning PTE shows to MP4 nowadays!!!!

Cheers

John 

Hi Lin,

Nice to hear from you.

I don't know about that. However after posting I thought I would make a one slide show as an envelop, if that makes sense, with the MP4 embedded onto the slide. That works so would be a work around if needs be. Come to think about it that sounds like my system is finding a player. I'll have another go now.

Cheers

John

Lin,

I have discovered how I wasn't seeing the MP4 file from within PTE. At the bottom of the "Open" Menu box, next to the File Name entry box there is a further drop down box offering "Applications" or "All Files".

So that is sorted, however what happens isn't very slick as it opens up a player with all the mouse actions that requires. Not as smooth as opening a PTE sequence. I think I will explore the route of embedding the MP4 into a PTE sequence.

Thanks again for your direction.

Kind regards

John 

Hi John,

Running many competitions we get lots of different file types. MP4, AVi, Mov, WMV etc

For all video type files we use VLC Player as the default.

You can set it to always open full screen, not show any controls & exit at the end of the video.
Clicking from a PTE Menu this is then as smooth as running an exe

If you are not currently using VLC then taks a look at it - it is free to download & use.

Jill

Hi Jill,

Thanks for this. I think I'm almost there thanks to your suggestion to use VLC.

Three  minor things that I can live with unless there is a way to avoid them.

One, when I click on the Menu button a small VLC box flashes onto the screen for a fraction of a second and then the MP4 opens full screen as you described. Great! But can I avoid this flash in any way?

Two, the file name is displayed at the bottom  of the screen for a couple of seconds. Can this be prevented.

Three, and I should not get into this situation, if I select the button containing the VLC Player by mistake and press Escape a minimised VLC Player appears and I have to cancel it with the mouse. The same circumstance with an exe file and you are brought back to the menu. As I say I shouldn't be in that position. But then nobody is perfect and possibly the same applies to software!

As I say I can live with these minor issues. However, if you don't ask the question you don't necessarily get the answer!

Regards

John

Hi Jill,

I notice that when the MP4 ends even though the menu comes up the VLC box also comes up. Looks like I've not correctly selected all the options in the Preferences.

I'll have another look.

John

Glad you are getting somewhere and managed to get rid of the file name.

There is nothing you can do about the brief flash when the MP4 starts, at least I haven't found a way.

To make it return to the menu at the end, make sure that 'quit at end of playlist' is ticked under the media menu.

If you press ESC when it is playing it will show a minimised VLC window and the sequence will keep playing and you have to close it down using the usual X button top right. But you shouldn't normally be pressing ESC when running.

If needed you can pause and resume with the space bar as with PTE.

Jill