WnSoft Forums

Video Clips-converting

goddi

Greetings,

I haven't used my GoPro much but now trying to learn more how to use it for inputting clips into PTE. I've notice the following:

If I convert a clip that is 30 fps, 295 Mbs, 27.3 mbps, it converts to 30 fps,168Mbs, 15 mbps.

If I convert the same clip but is 60 fps, 328 Mbs, 30.4 mbps, it converts to 60fps, 336 Mbs, 31 mbps.

So my question is, why would the conversion of a 60 fps clip increase in size and in mbps, when the 30 fps clip decreases? I see that the 60 fps clips from the GoPro are better quality than the 30 fps but I want to also keep the file size down. So I want to be shooting at 60 fps but just curious why the conversion process of a 60 fps cip does not follow a similar decrease in size and bit rate as conversion as a 30 fps clip.

Gary

Gary,

File size depends on a video codec (format).

For PTE 9 optimal codec is  MPEG-4 (Advanced Simple@L1) in AVI file. CPU loading is not high for a playback of a video. But file size is larger.

GoPro and other modern cameras record video in H.264 codec (or even H.265 HEVC) which gives smaller file size with same quality. However decoding of H.264 codec requires much more CPU resources.

As I wrote earlier, for PTE 10 we used hardware acceleration of a video card and decoding of H.264 videos will not load CPU. 

So H.264 codec will be optimal for PTE 10. Small file size, fast and smooth playback. No need to convert video file. Or you can use any video convertor to reduce a bitrate (and file size).

P.S. Alternate solution for PTE 9 or PTE 10. Create a final video from your project instead of an EXE file. It also solves all problems.

Igor,

Both, the 60 and 30 fps clips were exactly the same (Format: AVC). The only differences between the  two clips before converting were the fps (and the bit rates were only slightly different). If seems that the the PTE convert process is handling the process differently? I just expected the 60fps clip to also be reduced in size, not increased.

(The 60fps clip was only changed to 30fps using Videoproc software. Nothing else changed. I only wanted to see how PTE handled the two different fps clips).

My testing is due to that fact I am planning a trip where I will be taking a lot of video clips and want to be careful of file size and quality.

Gary

10 minutes ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

60p video usually larger in 1.5-2 times than 30p video (in same video format). More frames - more file size.

Igor, Yes, I understand that. My point was that the PTE convert process does not reduce the file size for a 60fps clip and it does for a 30fps clip.

Gary

8 hours ago, Igor Kokarev said:

Gary,

PTE 9 optimizes video clips for better and faster playback. Not file size. To reduce a file size you can try to slightly reduce Quality parameter in the VideoConverter.

Igor,

Ok. I did a test. I converted a 60fps video clip (1:30) using Quality 25 and compared it to converting it at the default Quality 50.

If I convert the 60 fps, 336 Mbs, 30.4 mbps clip at Quality 50, it converts to 60fps, 344 Mbs, 31 mbps.

If I convert the 60 fps, 336 Mbs, 30.4 mbps clip at Quality 25, it converts to 60fps, 234 Mbs, 21 mbps.

I could not detect any difference between the two conversions in quality or performance, even with the reduced bit rate. I do notice a quality difference in shooting a clip at 30fps vs 60fps. So it looks like I will be shooting at 60fps and just convert with Quality set at '25' and get a good playback and a bit smaller file size. :)

Thanks... Gary

Probably for video clips with fast motion scenes you may need to increase quality parameter. For video clips with static scenes you can decrease quality.

Future PTE 10 will work much better with video. And file size can be smaller with H.264 format after a special optimization.