WnSoft Forums

Minimum Laptop Specification

stonemason

My 11 year old dell laptop has just died. What would people think is the minimum laptop specification processor / graphics needed to run PTE including sideshows made with the upcoming version 10 release. I'm looking for recommended minimum specs rather than a high end wish list.

Many thanks

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff,

Any modern laptops with NVIDIA graphics are good for PTE 10. 8 GB of memory is quite enough. Any modern CPU with at least 4 cores. 

If you choose a laptop with 15" screen I recommend to consider a model with a fast single dedicated NVIDIA graphics (not dual graphics). For example,  NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060. It's a really good and very vast graphics which will work well with many future versions of PTE and support all effects.

Also choosing a laptop with a single NVIDIA graphics you'll get an option for video encoding to MP4 with GPU acceleration (faster in 3-4 times).

So if you consider lightweight 13"..14" laptops I recommend models with dual NVIDIA + Intel graphics - Geforce GTX 1050. Just see my note below. It's also fast and good video card for PTE 10.

In PTE 10 we solved issues with smoothness on laptops with dual NVIDIA + Intel graphics. Dual graphics are used in majority laptops (95% of models). PTE 10 automatically uses NVIDIA graphics in these laptops. 

PTE 9 doesn't work well on laptops with dual graphics - you need to wait for a solution from Microsoft (it may take several months). NVIDIA recently confirmed that there is a bug in Windows 10 with performance on dual NVIDIA + Intel graphics. It's not a problem of PTE iteself.

PTE 10 will work faster and smoother on same laptops than PTE 9. Even the main window works faster and smoother. Faster video encoding. We added many optimizations to PTE 10.

Also when you choose any laptop, I higly recommend to make sure that display is flicker free (no PWM), you can find this info in certain reviews, for example here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Reviews.55.0.html

• 2 months later...

Hi igor

Further to my above enquiry, all my slideshows are produced on my desktop computer. I only use the laptop for playing slideshows and not producing them. It would appear that most laptops with separate NVIDIA graphics cards are beyond my price range (about £500). Given this information could I play Version 10 slideshows on a laptop like or similar to this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PPT2MN2/ref=psdc_429886031_t3_B07MWDHKXY

Many thanks

Geoff