WnSoft Forums

Image resolution question

jymb

Working on producing a project that will ultimately be projected on an HD projector at 1920 x 1080.

For some slides where there will be little to no animation so I assume there a resolution of 2,000 px will suffice. However a few of the slides will have quite a bit of "zooming in" so there I would think a higher resolution source image would work best in those cases.  My question is are there any downsides to importing all images whether they will have any animation or not at their full, native resolution of 5,616 × 3,744 px? Might that cause a noticeable slowdown or perhaps result in a loss of quality when downsizing?

I would not use any larger images than necessary. The images with deep zoom can be loaded at full resolution, but there is no advantage in using higher resolution than will be displayed for the rest and there "could" be a down side depending on whether you will be playing the show as a video or as an executable. Video would suffer no probable difference other than the time to render because the images are automatically downsampled to the size selected for the clip. On the other hand, executable shows do not have this same advantage and depending on the hardware the show will be played on for projection, it could be problematic at 20 megapixels. The other disadvantage is that it will greatly increase the exe file size. Not to say it can't be done. I've created shows with PTE which have 40 megapixel images which ran just fine, but I have a really powerful video card and 32 gigabytes of system RAM in a i7 processor which can handle the load. I wouldn't try to play the same shows (lots of animation) on a lesser machine because of stutter and jerk probability.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for the detailed response Lin. Makes perfect sense.

Our main video production machine does have enough HP but for all the other reasons you pointed out it seems it would be worthwhile to selectively set overall image size to suit what's going on where it appears in the presentation.