WnSoft Forums

Running Programs at University Computer

Monty

Hi, all! Once again, I'm coming to you folks for assistance with something that just doesn't seem right to me.

I have three slideshows (both created with P2E of course!) that run perfectly well on my computer; however, when I try to run them on the computers at the university computer lab, I get the following error messages:

For two shows:

Exception EListError in module {name of exe file for slideshow} at 0006811F.

List index out of bounds (0).

For the third show:

Exception EListError in module {name of exe file for slideshow} at 0006A433.

List index out of bounds (0).

Now what's really odd to me is that of the three, the two that I tried running last quarter on the school's computers worked just like they did on my home computer.

Further information:

My home compute - uses WindowsME - show works just dandy.

Friends' home computers: all using Windows XP - show works just dandy.

University computers: Apparently using something called Windows ME (version 4.90.3000), my shows aren't working; however, the shows I've downloaded from beechbrook work (except for my Guayas show which doesn't work at the school computer).

Thanks for any advice/help/ & most especially a cure for this problem!

Don'tcha just love computer error messages? Written in a language only a computer scientist can understand, I sometimes wonder why they bother displaying them at all.

That having been said... and this is only a guess... since PTE shows are .exe files and since .exe files can sometimes contain viruses, it would not surprise me if the computers in a university computer lab have been configured so as NOT to allow people to run .exe files. Is the computer lab the only place where you've encountered this? I would suggest you speak with whoever runs the lab and perhaps they might be able to give you some insight.

Good luck.

Monty

Are your various SHOWS all accessed thru a pte MENU you have setup ?

If so ... are you using spaces, symbols or longfilenames for your SHOWS names?

If the answer is YES ... try renaming your SHOWS to a shortfilename and with no spaces or other characters. You will also have to re- edit your button destination links .

I mention this remedy ... because this same or somewhat issue has popped up in the past. This problem is all due to how the different OS read filenames .

Hope it solves your issue

Let's see...

For one show, I've used symbols. For one show, I've used numerals. For the third show, just letters. No menus I've set up to access the programs.

I haven't carried P2E to the school since I don't want to be using more than one instance of the program I paid for. (And especially after Igor sent me a registered version on top of that one! It was to help with a problem I was having. Best customer service on the planet, folks!))

The nearest thing I can figure out is that over the Winter break, the school "upgraded" its computers to WinME for networks/businesses/whatever but it's a different animal than the home version. Before the break, everything worked, now no dice.

The school's computers don't prevent you from running programs and you can even install your own. They do, on the other hand, have a massive virus library to protect both them and you. On top of that, at the end of the day, all the computers are restored to the condition they had at the start of the day: all installed programs, caches, cookies, etc., wiped.

...it's a different animal than the home version

Monty, luckily there is only ONE animal called Win ME - and it's enough!

It's now a rather old OS, completely discontinued by MS also because they realized this was the worst OS ever issued by their labs.

I am Sys Admin of the Turin's Academy of fine Arts, and unfortunately we have ALL machines with Win ME (except the server!). I can assure that no improvement or change was made to this OS.

Monty

A simple and fast test still would be to just rename the 2 SHOWS that dont work ... to something short, simple and space free (using no numerals or other symbols ). You can even do it there on the Schools computers.

It will atleast be a starting point to trace out your issue ... and a very simple way at that.