WnSoft Forums

DURATION and TRANSITION TIME for high frame rate sequence of STILLS

John M

Good morning. I 'shoot' a lot of wildlife and with modern cameras shooting rates, I may end up with say  10-20  high quality images of a bird flying, or animal running. The subject (such as leopard running past: eagle diving) will tend to be about the same size in the frame, but may move in its position within the frame, but the background is changing. I like to put these together into a short and slow sequence (a bit like a Time lapse but slow and short), for insertion into a PTE show. Obviously the sequence looks some what jerky but it allows viewers to see the movements of the subject in slow motion (like beating of birds wing). I want the viewer to be able to see some detail within each still, but also give some idea of movement with  a sequence.

I can not work out ideal timing. I am not trying to make it look like a smooth video capture  (although I can publish it as a video - I now have PTE version 10). 

Can anyone advise on:  

1] Ideal duration of each image

2] Best transition  type

3] Best duration of transition

4] Should duration time be less or more than the transition time

5] Any other advice

Thanks

JOhn

4. The duration time can’t be less than the transition time, because that is likely to throw up some odd effects.

I would say the remainder of your questions will depend on trial and error, because it depends on so many factors and what result pleases you. Probably a place to start with 20 images is a fade transition of half a second and work from there.

In the opening sequence of the presentation below I used a 1 second fade and a 1 second duration

Try starting with a Quick (i.e. No) Transition and alter your Slide Duration until you get the "flow" that you want.

Start with a One Second Slide Duration and then halve it. If it needs less halve it again etc. Select all slides and changing the Slide Duration on one will change all. Or do it in Slide Properties.

When you are happy with the "flow/speed" you could then try a very short Dissolve Transition to try to smooth it.

Using the Timeline View will show you if you are in danger of overlapping your transitions.

P.s. Barry and I were typing at the same time.