WnSoft Forums

Creating a menu

David White

Some years ago I made a show in several sections.

I also created a separate menu slide to enable me to select the section I wanted to show. It also included an Exit heading which closed the show.

I can't remember how I did it - can anyone help me please?

David White

This was written for Version 8 some time ago and will be updated soon, but should give you a starter.

https://docs.picturestoexe.com/en-us/10.0/techniques/menu?s[]=menu

https://docs.picturestoexe.com/en-us/9.0/how_to_v9/button#add_hyperlinkaction_on_mouse_click

(Refers to Buttons but can also be used with Images).

DG

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. Barry's video has clearly shown me what to do and translated well into PTE Studio 10.

However I now have another problem!

I am producing an AV on PTE AV Studio Pro which is looking great on our Samsung QLED TV when displayed as an HD 4K video. I intend to produce a menu page so that I can select various chapters. I can do this when publishing it as an exe and it works OK but when I publish for the HD TV the menu system does not work. I tried it out with a simple AV without a sound track and it would not run at all as it said it “The audio data is not supported”.

So I added a short audio clip to the menu slide and the two short sequences. When I selected the Mp4 track it still said the same but this time it skipped the menu slide and ran both the short sequences one after the other complete with both sound tracks.

Please can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong, or is it not possible to use menus using the Mp4 format?

I can of course display as an exe file via my laptop but the quality suffers.

David White

Hi David,

You are not doing anything wrong. The executable code allows one to control a computer. Unfortunately "video" is quite different and the commands which allow control of a computer can not be used to control video. Even "smart" TV's do not have a CPU which allows the same degree of  control as the computer. Perhaps in the future we may be able to create menus for video control, but right not it's not possible.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi David,
MP4 is just a container for codec-compressed video. There is nothing there. An EXE file is a program with a built-in video, a viewer, and some control command buttons specified by you. If possible, try creating your show in DVD format, in PTE 8 I did this.

VBL

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Lin and VBL.

My Post got confused with a new one I started on the same subject so I have only just noticed you replied to this earlier one.

Thanks for you comments - I now realise that even if I had got it to run in the MP4 format I still wouldn't be able to select any menu items since there would be no cursor.

Kind Regards

David