WnSoft Forums

PTE-AV-Studio 10 - Shadow Play

Thank you.

That particular subject, just by chance,  allowed me to show a practical presentation effect and include one or two other great features of the software.  It just flowed together better than usual. More by chance than design I suspect.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tonton,

In this case, yes, you can do that but there are things which are nice which you can do with black rectangles which can't be done with the built-in shadows. Look at TheDom's Parquet style to see how he uses rectangles for the shadows on the floor as the photos fall.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin.

I have no doubts that sometimes the "Shadow" button can't do what we want, but the exception is not the rule, and in the present case, this tuto which seems targeted to the beginners is counterproductive.
There are so many things wich are complex and diffuicult to do under PTE animations, when something is easy to achieve, why not just hit the right button ?

This is why I ask the question to Barry.
What is the purpose of this tuto ?
May be I missed something.

Bruno,

There are times when the opacity of a shadow needs to be controlled via a number of KF, such as during a transition where the image/object is a percentage of full screen. Using a rectangle allows you to do that.

The shadow, in O&A Properties, has limitations so I have ceased using it some time ago. The Rectangle is much more versatile.

It is Barry's video and he chose to use a rectangle and share his thoughts about it.

There is nothing stopping any of us from posting an alternative if we so wish.

DG

2 hours ago, davegee said:

Bruno,

There are times when the opacity of a shadow needs to be controlled via a number of KF, such as during a transition where the image/object is a percentage of full screen. Using a rectangle allows you to do that.

It may be necessary in some rare cases, but it is easier to just attach a second time the image as a child, to adjust the shadows as needed, and then put on the child image all the KF you need to manage its opacity.
The interest of processing this way is that you take benefit of all the shadow styles which are embeded in PTE.

PTE shadow styles are underknown, and a tuto showing when to use these different styles would be welcome.

This was an interesting exercise. Made me play, or tried, to put a shadow around a video clip. The  Shadow function does not show up with a video clip. So I put a rectangle behind the clip and was able to place a show around the clip. Barry's tutorial gave me food for thought. Thanks.

But why can't there be a Shadow function for video clips???

Gary

2 hours ago, Tonton Bruno said:

It may be necessary in some rare cases, but it is easier to just attach a second time the image as a child, to adjust the shadows as needed, and then put on the child image all the KF you need to manage its opacity.
The interest of processing this way is that you take benefit of all the shadow styles which are embeded in PTE.

PTE shadow styles are underknown, and a tuto showing when to use these different styles would be welcome.

Does it really matter whether we use a rectangle or another incidence of the Main Image from which to generate the shadow? Likewise, does it matter whether we use blur or the built shadow profiles? There are no hard and fast rules about it and if we find a set of parameters that work for us as individuals then perhaps that is the way to go.

Regarding PTE shadow styles, I think that Mur has done some work with these and could be persuaded to share his findings. It is relatively easy to demonstrate the different profiles but finding a use for them is a different matter.

DG

33 minutes ago, goddi said:

This was an interesting exercise. Made me play, or tried, to put a shadow around a video clip. The  Shadow function does not show up with a video clip. So I put a rectangle behind the clip and was able to place a show around the clip. Barry's tutorial gave me food for thought. Thanks.

But why can't there be a Shadow function for video clips???

Gary

PTE shadow DOES work with video clips.

DG

6 minutes ago, davegee said:

PTE shadow DOES work with video clips.

DG

So right!!!. I just did not scroll down far enough. The menu extends further with more stuff than with an image. My bad....I had forgotten. But I did learn to use the rectangle if needed.;)

Gary