WnSoft Forums

Cannot Create Backup in ZIP, because of Duplicate File Names

jmG-06100

Help!

I need help for a way out!

I have patched together two different PTE projects, taking parts from each one to create a new project.
That works fine.

However, because each project had its files in a different folder, some files have the same name (in fact they are identical).
For instance, I have twice the same image of a red circle ('RondRouge') in different folders, both used within the new project.

So that I cannot create a backup folder to clean up the files and have only the ones that are now being used.

When I go to:
<<File / Create Backup in ZIP>>

I get an error message:
<<
Information
Project contains two or more files with the same name, but they are located in different folders.  Please use unique file names for evert file if you want to create a template or backup.
Disk:\Path1\RondRouge.png
Disk:\OtherPath\RondRouge.png
>>

I have then renamed Disk:\OtherPath\RondRouge.png as Disk:\OtherPath\RondRouge-bis.png and tried again, but this time I get:
<<
Missing Files
This projects contains missing files.  You can try to search these files: xxxxxx  (But I have no access to the "xxxxxx" text to make a substitution).
Missing image = RondRouge.png
>>

I have about 100 slides in my project and have not been able to identify where these two files are used and their origin, in order to substitute one by the other.

If anyone had the same problem, I will be happy to heare about any solution.
Thanks.

Try this: Make a Zip of Project 1. Make a Zip of Project 2. Copy  both Zips to a new folder. Unzip both Zips on this new folder. Duplicated files will show and you will discard them, so, no more duplicated files. Build your new Project in this same new folder. No more problems with same files in different places. Ok?

Thank you, orizaba, for giving me an answer.   Good idea to go that would apply when going from scratch to a fresh new project.

Unfortunately the news project is quite advanced, and I do not want to re-do it.

For musical files, PTE can tell in the "Project Options" what audio tracks are used and also to which slide they are attached (when "audio clip" is linked).

No such features for images used within a view.

Follow orizaba's advice and create the new folder with all images. Then change the names of the original folders (temporarily)  and copy your new project file to the new folder. When you open it, PTE will not find the images in the old places, but it will find them in its own folder. Save the project file, and PTE will change the paths. Then you may rename the original folders again.

Sheer magic

Thank you to you both.

I have changed the names of my two 'remote' instances of the "RondRouge" image (instead of only one of them previously) and copied one into my current project Folder, alongside my new images.

Then I asked to "Create the backup in ZIP" and it worked perfectly.

I was almost there but not quite, and now realise that the "local" folder of the project takes precedence for all objects scattered around my disk.

Great.  A big thank you, again.

PTE will rename duplicating file names automatically.

I don't want that a soft rename something automatically.

In general, if it is the same file with same name in 2 different folders, then put only one file in the zip and it will work.

Denis

Denis,

It's only for a copy in a ZIP archive, not for files of original project. I think it better to create a ZIP archive than do nothing (now) in case of duplicating file names. Additionally PTE can create a ZIP and show a warning to inform user about duplicating file names.

Igor,

When creating a ZIP archive (in case of duplicated files), why not make Zip use just one of such files, instead of renaming? May be this would be possible because I think that PTE zipping process could start by scanning all files involved in the project.

This is really a problem, but having 2 or 3 or 4 renamed of the same file do not appear to be ideal, even being better than actual situation.

Regards,

Jose

Jose,

The project may contains 2 different images with same file name in separate folder. PTE puts all files in one folder in a ZIP archive.

So there are only 3 solutions:

1. Show warning (as now) and ZIP is not created.

2. Rename duplicated file names.

3. Create a ZIP with subfolder. Not easy solution, because original files can be added from different foldes on different drivers. This is why PTE adds all project files into flat folder for a ZIP archive.

It is very possible to have 2 different images with the same file name in 2 folders.

This happened to someone at our club recently - we were trying to create a Template.

If PTE can rename the file, in both the BIZ and/or Template  this would be best.

eg files called image001 - rename to image001-1 and image001-2

Yes the PTE project file would have to be updated so that the correct file was referenced.
Also display a warning to say what has been done.

Jill

8 minutes ago, Igor said:

...The project may contains 2 different images with same file name in separate folder. PTE puts all files in one folder in a ZIP archive ...

This actually happened to me: Two camera bodies which happened to use the same image names.

Two possibilities

*the same picture with the same name in two folders, then PTE add only one file in the zip (ask yes or no)

*two different pictures with the same name. The user rename one file itself in the original folder modify it PTE source and make the ZIP.

If PTE rename one file, this leads to get the same picture with two different names, one in the zip and one in the original folder. Bof

Denis

I have used a red circle about 50 times in my various slides and their origins are in two different folders for historical reasons.

I have no practical way to modify the PTE for each use of that object with the same name.  If these objects were different (even if only slightly different), the only practical way is to give them two different names in the zipped file, as proposed by Igor.

In my case, the two objects with same name are identical, and the way to solve my problem has been described above, and it is perfect for me.  No "bof" at all.

Igor, would it be possible, when we add a file (photo or movie) to the timeline of a project, to have a PTE warning in case such file already exists in the timeline? Also showing its original location (drive and folder) in order that we can go for it. This way, no more problems with Zip and duplicated files. I think that PTE is able to do this.

Jose

In my case I often have the same name for different images in different folders, so the solution given by Igor is OK for me, and the one from Denis is not.

This case is very frequent for me because I always use 2 folders, one for the images in 1080 height for normal use, and one with the maximum size to be able to zoom inside the image, and very often I make a view with the small size because I want to navigate rapidely with the keyboard between views, and then a view with the maximum size which includes pan and zoom actions.

To-day I can't save my project in a zip file, because I have too many files to rename.