WnSoft Forums

Nvidia GTX 1650 and 1660 Super

tom95521

Hi Judy,

Waiting for it to arrive. I think bad weather causing delay. Maybe in a day or two. I plan to benchmark encoding times at various settings using the PTE Studio Sample Project (Barry's demo video).

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

NVIDIA Geforce 1650 is an excellent choice for PTE 10.

Especially good results for video encoding with hardware acceleration option (speed and visual quality).

Personally I prefer MSI WindForce model which is noiseless in office apps and in PTE 10. Cooling fans start to work only in heavy 3D games. Probably other manufacturers offer similar noisless models. I use MSI Geforce 1060 3GB WindForce at home and at work in our office.

Hi Igor,

This is the MSI card on order. My motherboard is also MSI.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-GTX-1650-OC/dp/B081Q6KKDS/

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1650-SUPER-VENTUS-XS-OC

I think the MSI cooling system is Ventus and Gigabyte is Windforce? Windforce has alternate spinning fans that remain off during low GPU load.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N165SWF2OC-4GD#kf

Tom

I was planning on replacing my MSI GeForce 1060 3 GB with the MSI Geforce 1650 Super 4 GB but after testing there was little to  no increase in performance with video rendering in PTE and a slight increase in another video editor. I decided to return and wait until the Gigabyte 1660 Super 6 GB is in stock again.

My other upgrade is a replacement for my 120 GB SSD C: drive with a 1 TB Samsung EVO 860.

Tom

Hi Igor,

Yes. It's amazing a 3 year old graphics card can easily handle a modern multimedia program like PTE 10. Monitoring with MSI Afterburner I noticed Barry's sample project during preview only consumes about 900 MB of GPU memory with average load of about 15% and maximum load less than 50%. GPU temp less than 40 deg. C. I wish I had the 1060 6GB instead of 3 GB, due to GDDR5X instead of GDDR5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce#GeForce_10_series

It will be interesting to see the new AMD GPU cards next year. Even the next generation AMD APU laptops will probably be powerful enough to run PTE 10.

Update: The Gigabyte WindForce 1660 Super card I ordered is supposed to ship by Dec. 17 so will be able to test before next year. The encoding may not be much faster than my 1060 3GB model but the NVENC encoder should be higher quality.

Tom

Tom,

Your post got me excited about a new video card for my 8.1 system. My present card, a then mid-range  nVidia GTX 760 could not use GPU rendering when I created a PTE video so I ordered what I think is about the same card as you did. I ordered an MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti VENTUS XS with 6 gig which should be plenty of power to run PTE optimally. It apparently has the same feature of killing the fans until needed so should be nice and quiet when running animations in PTE shows.

I know the 1660 is perhaps a little faster than the 1650 but I hope everything else is as compatible with PTE and my ASUS motherboard.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Hardware acceleration really helps speed up encoding videos in PTE. I have an 8 core AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU that is almost as fast encoding video. My 1660 super was shipped yesterday, but it might be a couple of days before it arrives. The only problem you might have is Nvidia driver support on older versions of Windows. Nvidia ShadowPlay is a really good screen recorder so I hope that works on your system. I sometimes use Windows 10 Game DVR, Bandicam, Faststone Capture, and Filmora Scrn. I know you have other screen recorders you could use too.

Thanks,
Tom

The 1660 Super is finally installed. PTE may not need 6 GB of GDDR6 but I can probably use it for other applications. GPU temp did go up to 50 deg. C on 4K lossless encode. The WindForce cooling system is great. The only problem is that the Gigabyte card has 1 hdmi and 3 displayport connectors so I will need to get an adapter to use my older DVI monitor for the second monitor.

Tom

Benchmark_Results.jpg

Wow!!! Those are FAST encodings!  I received an email from B&H this morning and my card has shipped so I'm expecting it Monday or Tuesday. It will be fun getting it installed - I'm hoping I don't have to replace the power supply, but it will make encoding large videos fun again. My present nVidia card is just a bit long in the tooth and PTE doesn't find it capable of GPU rendering so the new one will be perfect. 

Thanks for the info on the 1660 - it made my choice an easy one.

Best regards,

Lin

I had a spare DVI monitor so I connected it to the 1660 using a displayport adapter. Windows 10 extended the desktop and PTE also recognized the 3rd monitor. Also PotPlayer can run different screensaver on each monitor. Wallpaper Engine also is running different PTE video slideshows in the background on each monitor. I do have another DVI monitor but I ran out of displayport adapters so I can't test a 4th monitor. I'm running out of desk space. :)

Tom

3monitors.jpg

3monitor_faststone_capture.jpg

Hi Tom,

I finally got my MIS nVIDIA 1660 ti and the new Samsung 4K display installed and working. It's a great card and the 4K 28" display is pretty cool.  Now I've got to get a few software things figured out and then I can use PTE AV Studio 10 Pro to full advantage. I'm still scratching my head over my 30" 2650 x 1600 display crashing as soon as I plugged it in to the new graphics card. It was a complete surprise. It's been working perfectly so I thought it might have been caused by the new card but that wasn't the case at all. I put the old GTX 760 back in and same problem. I pulled all the cables and just turned on the display and same problem so definitely the display died - what a coincident! 

When I installed the new 4K Samsung and got the drivers sorted and installed everything works perfectly. It was a good thing that I had credit with both B&H for the card and with BestBuy for the display or it would have taken me six months to save the $600.00 and I wouldn't have been able to use PTE AV Studio except on my old laptop which has an almost useless integrated graphics and Win 7 64bit OS. 

It's all working well now except that with the 4K display it's literally impossible to see the Photoshop CS6 Extended icons. They are TINY !!! There is no way to "fix" it, I'll just have to do most of my Photoshop work on my old XP or the laptop. Adobe has refused to do anything about the problem which is widely discussed on the web. All other software works fine.

Best regards,

Lin 

• 2 weeks later...

My third DVI to display port adapter arrived today. Since I had another old DVI monitor gathering dust I plugged it into the 1660 via adapter. Windows 10, Wallpaper Engine, PotPlayer screen savers, and PTE 10 all recognized the 4th monitor and it works perfectly. GPU running at 49 deg. C, 40% load, and 2 GB of GPU memory.

My tuxedo cat blocking my view is the main reason I have so many monitors. Now I can just Windows + shift + arrow key my app to another monitor. The missing piece of the puzzle that should arrive this week is a glass cover to keep her from sitting on the keyboard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5NJG1K/

Tom

• 5 months later...

Hi Michael,

It's a great card. I highly recommend Gigabyte versions of Nvidia cards due to windforce cooling. The 1660 has no problem driving 4 monitors. The wallpaper and screensaver mentioned above is working great.

Tom

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom

I have just upgraded my whole set up by purchasing a brand new system I now have the following .

MSI MAG Meta Ryzen 5 8GB 512GB SSD 1TB GTX1660S with 6GB and armed with a list of possible upgrades it can have . From switching on the slowest thing is putting in my PIN Number every thing seems instant . I purchased this in the knowledge that it had one of the best graphics cards for my PTE AV 10 and my 2020 version of Photoshop . About upgrading I was before I received it thinking of upping from 8 to 16 GB but now I can see it in action I do not  think  I will bother .

You have a great system. AMD and NVIDIA work great together. PTE is very efficient (system  memory < 500 MB and GPU memory <2 GB). Photoshop CC might use 16 GB on large images. The only upgrade to my 2 year old Ryzen 7 2700x has been a 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD.

Starting to plan for my next computer. If Apple sells a Mac Mini ARM with 14x cpu I will probably buy one.  If not maybe a AMD 5000 APU computer. The integrated graphics on the new AMD cpu should be enough to run PTE. Maybe someday PTE will be ported to Android since it can run on the Mac ARM instruction set.

Tom