WnSoft Forums

Snowglobe Styles Demo and Styles To Download

Lin Evans

Hi Folks,

With Christmas coming on and in the parts of the world which have winter during Christmas, many like images and such with snow. I have created a multitude of snowglobe styles and some falling snow styles which make it quick and painless to drop in a critter or picture inside a snowglobe. This is a demo of some of my globes and below I'll post the links to the styles for download. Sorry about my voice - it's still difficult to clearly enunciate and pronounce certain sounds so bear with me on this.

Best regards,

Lin

Large snow globe for 16_9 aspect ratio with more snow.ptestyle Snow_In_Crystal_Decanter.ptestyle Snow_In_Decanter.ptestyle Snowglobe Antique Silver Base.ptestyle Snowglobe For PNG Image With Transparent Background.ptestyle Snowglobe for Portrait Images.ptestyle Snowglobe For Transparent PNG Image.ptestyle Snowglobe Three to Two Aspect Ratio.ptestyle Snowglobe Transparent For PNG Internal Images.ptestyle WinterPark_Ripple_With_Blue_Decanter.ptestyle snow 12 seconds.ptestyle Snow One Minute.ptestyle

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the snow. :) Very nice. Living in Northern California on the coast we get rain but rarely any snow. I was looking at this video about foreground and background snow (small snowflakes only behind person) but was not sure how it would work in PTE. Davinci Resolve/Fusion can do this but I'm guessing I could create a custom mask in PTE and put the small snow in the background layer? 

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Actually, it's easy to do in PTE. Just load my snowfall style(s) and if it's not already done, put one of the PNG snowfall files behind a PNG cut-out of the main character. Just go into Photoshop and create a PNG of the main subject and have the small flakes fall behind the PNG and of course above the main image. The PNG overlay  perfectly coinciding with the main image allows the layering needed. I often use three "sizes" of snowflakes. You can use the same snow PNG file and just adjust the zoom to vary the size of the snowflakes..

Give me a few minutes and I'll post an example... I generally use three sizes of snowflakes when I create a snow scene. It's not easy to make a style of flakes falling behind a subject because the overlay can't be created automatically in PTE. Neither would it be possible to make a mask to do this automatically because it would depend on the subject. The easiest way is to create the overlay and add it to the snow PNG's in the proper place. Obviously one would want to name the snow size PNG's appropriately... 

Best regards,

Lin

Here ya go Tom.  Sorry I couldn't find a more suitable image with a darker background to make it easier to see the smaller flakes in quick order. I purposely left a slight error on the overlay so you can see the smaller flakes going behind. Just look above her shoulder on the right side of the screen and you'll see smaller flakes going behind with the larger flakes in front. I've actually been doing it this way on many of my snow scenes for years... 

Of course this is with a still image, not with a video. To do this with a video in PTE you would need chroma key extraction so you could run a green screen duplicate on top of a regular video of the same subject. I suspect this is how Davinci does this internally. Hopefully Igor will implement the newer alpha channel video modes soon and then it would be much easier. Most video companies which produce alpha channel videos also will give you an alpha mat which can be used for this purpose with PTE. It's easy enough to play the alpha matt as the video mask.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the transparent png cutout method. I have some photos of cats that I can use as test subjects. For video of a moving subject it would probably take a polygon mask editor with a number of keyframes (object tracking).

Tom

LOL, you posted before I could finish editing my text. My guess is that the way Davinci does it is by creating internally a green screen (alpha channel) duplicate as you can do in some of the Adobe products. The green screen is stacked over the original video and provides the layer needed to hide whatever.

Best regards,

Lin