WnSoft Forums

Testing alpha channel video import

tom95521

I decided to test different video codecs with alpha channel support that are compatible with PTE 10. You can use alpha channel videos for animated objects when you want the background of the slideshow to be visible (logos, 3D text, etc.).

My PC is running Windows 10 and PTE 10.
Spinning RGBA cube created in VirtualDub2.

I found 4 formats (3 codecs + GIF) that work. I think my favorite based on average file size and smooth preview playback is FFv1. Animated GIF does not like higher frame rates so it skipped frames at 30 fps during preview but is smooth when published as a video. To create the animated GIF I used GifSki. File sizes can be very large depending on resolution, number of frames, and compression method. If you use a transparent video in your slideshow I recommend you publish the slideshow as a video instead of EXE. I have the project file if anyone is interested but it's 300 MB.

Results
Publish Show as HD Video
Screen Capture of Preview window

More information about the codecs that work with PTE 10.
HuffyUV
FFv1
QuickTime Animation
Animated GIF

The other formats/codecs that I tested that are currently not compatible with PTE 10.

CineForm
APNG

Tom

Hi Lin and Aleina,

The best codec may change depending on resolution, number of frames. and type of content. Objects with fewer colors might compress better with Quicktime Animation/RLE.

It is interesting how PTE handles animated GIFs. They can be imported as an image or as a video. If imported as an image it seems the only first 85 frames are uncompressed and stored in a buffer for smoother playback for Preview/EXE format. For very large animated GIFs (like the 1,000 frame cube) imported as a video the playback is not smooth. Perhaps Igor can decompress the complete GIF into memory buffer. I tried adjusting the animated image settings but was unable to fix the problem. GifSki does a great job dithering 256 colors without any noticeable banding.

Thanks,
Tom