WnSoft Forums

A global opportunity to reflect the horizontal and vertical layers?

stranger2156

Hello everybody

I did not find in the global settings of the layer the ability to make the reflection of the layer horizontally and vertically. In the file list, you can rotate the photo left / right. But there is no reflection, which in my opinion is more important when constructing effects, for example, on the reverse side (in which the reflection of the original occurs).

Best regards

Paul

Hi Dav,
This is not what I need, something is wrong with the translation in the translator. For example, in an album, I turn the page and show the photos on it from the other side. And they turn out to be mirrored horizontally. And I need the original. Therefore, I must first reflect them horizontally, and then they will become as needed. To do this, each time the rotation along Y is not rational, because this makes it impossible to make copies of original layers.

Best regards

Paul

Colleagues, I write in the "Discussions" section in order to find optimal solutions. Which saves us time. I know the solution, I showed it in the project. But this is not an optimal solution. As I said, there can be a simple solution, as implemented, for example, in the PSP. Any image can be mirrored globally and forget about compatibility with duplicates. I enclose a screenshot below. Indeed, in the file list, you can rotate the photo left / right. Why not add mirroring there?

Best regards

Paul

30-12-2019 19-18-37.png

I'm confused. It would appear just as easy to type 180 in rotate "Y" to achieve this as to add yet another way by clicking in a "flip" horizontal box?  The added value of doing it the way it's presently implemented is that you have the option of literally any value of "Y" or "X" rotation. A simple and extremely quick "style" could be generated to implement this globally on any images where it was desired. I guess I'm not understanding the value of having yet another box providing essentially the identical feature?

Best regards,

Lin

The reason for clockwise or counterclockwise rotation (right or left 90 degrees) is there because people take images and especially videos with some cell phones which do not have an auto-rotate function. This allows quick correction in PTE  without resorting to doing the rotation via the "X" rotation in Objects and Animations.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your question. We didn't add a special Flip command because Rotate Y = 180 for an Image layer will make same effect. We're trying to keep the interface of PTE as simple as possible and avoid duplicating tools. Maybe it's less intuitive for beginners, but we thought that Flip command is not used too frequently.

Rotate commands in the popup menu appeared 16 years ago for images without EXIF rotation tags and now kept for compatibility. 

1 hour ago, Igor said:

...  We didn't add a special Flip command because Rotate Y = 180 for an Image layer will make same effect  ...

This is only true if  Rotate X  is zero. Compare:
1)  The original image with "Rotate Y = 180" and "Rotate X = -45" 
2)  An externally mirrored version of the original image with  "Rotate Y = 0" and "Rotate X = -45" .

An additional flip function would not be that bad !

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 7:40 PM, Lin Evans said:

I guess I'm not understanding the value of having yet another box providing essentially the identical feature?

Unfortunately, I will not have the opportunity (for some time) to argue with simple examples the need to mirror horizontally. But I will definitely return to this topic later.
Lin, today I came across a style (or rather, users of my forum presented it with us) Flag Waving 2 and I immediately remembered our discussion on the issue of mirroring. Your style shows a horizontal mirror image. How can this be changed now so that it is quick and easy.
P.S. Mirroring in Photoshop is not an option.

Best regards

Paul

20-01-2020 11-33-08.png

20-01-2020 11-35-15.png

Hi Paul,

It's a long story...  Long ago Dave G introduced a "waving" style which was a cool thing for images and I thought it might be nice for adding a flagpole at one end to wave little PNG flags.  The problem was, that the side which was more or less "stationary" (didn't wave) on the image was on the wrong side to attach to a flag pole. The simple and quick solution was to horizontally flip the flag before using the png image so rather than totally rework the animation I just flipped a large group of flags horizontally, created a quick "style,"  and posted a link to a zipped archive so users who wanted to play with this little style could choose their flag from the content and use it.  

At the time we were discussing a new feature which has been planned for PTE to allow saving any screen image as a jpg or PNG image at full resolution. I think Igor still has plans to add this feature. Having this would make it very easy to save a horizontally flipped image without using a screen capture or taking the original image into an image editing program such as Photoshop. The only way to make this style work with a non flipped flag would be to rework Dave's original waving style and there just wasn't enough interest in it to warrant the time necessary.

Here's a link to the zipped archive of horizontally flipped flags if you want to experiment..

Best regards,

Lin

http://www.lin-evans.org/flippedflags/HorizontallyFlippedFlags.zip

On 20.01.2020 at 4:23 PM, Lin Evans said:

Here's a link to the zipped archive of horizontally flipped flags if you want to experiment..

Hi Lin,

thanks for the detailed and comprehensive answer on the history of this style. My goal, in this topic, is to show the need for the PTE to have horizontal mirroring capabilities. On the example of your style with a flag and a flagpole, we see that after a certain work, making changes with mirroring (in the existing situation) can be very costly. When only Photoshop remains the best way out.
P.S. By experiments I did not mean your style, but other possible cases (simpler), when the lack of horizontal mirroring creates certain problems or a waste of time.

Best regards

Paul

13 hours ago, stranger2156 said:

...  when the lack of horizontal mirroring creates certain problems or a waste of time.

Some users seem to stick to the opinion that "Rotate  Y  =  180" gives the same result as horizontal mirroring, which is only true in special cases.

A simple workaround: Insert the image (for which you want to see horizontal mirroring) twice, the second version as child of the first version (covering the parent at 100%).  For the child set "Rotate  Y  =  180". Do all other settings for animation with the parent.

17 hours ago, jt49 said:

A simple workaround:

This only works with centers of rotation X = 0 and Y = 0. In many works, at least by mine and my colleagues on the PSP, the displaced center of rotation is an ordinary phenomenon. In addition, it must be borne in mind that the need for mirroring that arose may appear at a certain stage of the work already done. And this circumstance may put you in a quandary.

On 12/31/2019 at 4:43 PM, Igor said:

We didn't add a special Flip command because Rotate Y = 180 for an Image layer will make same effect.

Hi Igor, this is not so ... one of the reasons described above (This only works with centers of rotation X = 0 and Y = 0.)

-----------------------------------------------

jt49 - This is only true if  Rotate X  is zero.

-----------------------------------------------

5 hours ago, stranger2156 said:

This only works with centers of rotation X = 0 and Y = 0. In many works ...

Not quite true. Of course you have to take care that the child always covers the parent at 100%. This is easy if the center is static, but becomes awkward if not. In these cases it might be better to go via Photoshop. I rarely work with displaced centers. I think that I would rather work with a nested set of frames. Example: The style published here.

29 minutes ago, jt49 said:

In these cases it might be better to go via Photoshop.

I have already said in this thread that using Photoshop for mirroring is not an option. It’s the same as hammering nails with a smartphone when you can take a hammer. In this case, the hammer is the option of horizontal mirroring that is not available in the PTE.

43 minutes ago, jt49 said:

I rarely work with displaced centers.

These words can only cause a smile, among hundreds of users ProShow Producer. The shifted center of rotation is one of the pillars of the slide show philosophy in PSP. The fact that PTE users have a different philosophy, in this regard, does not mean that PTE should not change. At least for the reason that PTE is now in the focus of interests of former producers.

58 minutes ago, jt49 said:

I think that I would rather work with a nested set of frames. Example: The style published here.

I agree ... because I don’t see the need for this style to shift the center of rotation.
But there may be other examples, for example here -

https://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/topic/22450-3d-book-testing-in-the-pte/

https://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/topic/22542-merry-christmas-and-happy-new-year/

https://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/topic/22450-3d-book-testing-in-the-pte/?do=findComment&comment=145096