WnSoft Forums

How to fix playing size of show on large TV?

goddi

Greetings, When I play my MP4 shows on my 40" TV, the shows look great. However, when I play them on a much larger TV, the shows get stretched out and look pixelated. They fill the entire space of the larger TV. Is there a way to fix the playing size of the show so that it will not exceed a certain size, such as on my 40" TV?

Gary

Physical size of the TV should have nothing to do with it.

Are you comparing a 1920x1080 TV with a 3840x2160 TV?

When you say "stretched", are they distorted or just up-scaled?

Have you investigated publishing at 3840x2160 and trying that on TV's of different size (resolution/pixel dimensions)?

DG

When playing videos on a large screen, it will depend on the media player and its settings, if there will be upscaling or not. When (e.g.) using VLC it is possible to choose settings that upscaling does not happen. When playing exe shows we had in V9 the feature of "Fixed Size", which got lost with V10. So upscaling now cannot be prevented with exe shows.

Greetings,

I create my MP4s using 1920x 1080. I play them on my 40" TV. The shows fill the screen. No problem. Look sharp.

When I bring them to my friends' TVs, which are more than double the screen size of my TV, the shows will fill the TV screen (not distorted), so it looks pixelated, not sharp.

I'd like them to play on any TV so they play no larger than how they display on my 40" TV to avoid them being 'stretched' out and not looking very good.

Is there a setting in PTE to do this or is it a function on each TV? I am playing the shows using a thumbdrive plugged into the USB port of the TV.

Since TVs vary in screen size, I'd like to stick to how they play on my TV and also be able to play them on the various TV screens without them filling up the larger screen size and look pixelated.

Gary

Gary,

are you prepared to make two versions?

one for the 1920x1080 tv and another for the higher res tv?

If so, add the 1920x1080 mp4 to a 3840x2160 project and set its zoom to original size. The 1920x1080 mp4 will then play at its correct size on a background of your choice ( on the higher res tv).

DG

11 minutes ago, davegee said:

Gary,

are you prepared to make two versions?

one for the 1920x1080 tv and another for the higher res tv?

If so, add the 1920x1080 mp4 to a 3840x2160 project and set its zoom to original size. The 1920x1080 mp4 will then play at its correct size on a background of your choice ( on the higher res tv).

DG

Dave, That is what I want to avoid. I am going to be sending a lot of my shows to my relatives and I don't know how the shows will actually play on their various TVs they have. And I'm trying to keep the file size down to be able to keep within the Send Firefox max size limitation. I just want to be able to fix the max screen size of the show as it is seen on any TV. Maybe it is the quality of the TVs. Ronnie has a 65" 4K and has no problem but I am sure my relatives don't have a 4K TV.

And I don't have access to a larger TV to test what a 3840x2160 will look like with my shows.

Is it technically possible for PTE to have a max size for MP4s to be shown on TVs to avoid the shows being expanded too much on larger TVs?

Gary

I'm a little confused by your request.

If these larger TV sets are 1920x1080 and you want the show to use only a part of the area available then downsizing (interpolation) will be involved.

Interpolation of any kind (up or down) should be avoided even though PTE handles it very well.

DG

Dave.... What is happening is 'upsizing', if I understand the terminology. The larger TV is making the show to fit the larger screen by just spreading it out. And I would like to avoid it. I guess I am not being clear enough. I just don't want the show that I created to be stretched to a larger size where it gets pixelated and unsharp. Am I the only one who experiences this? I'd like the show to stay at the same size as what I see on my 40" TV that displays the MP4 show just fine.

Gary

Once again, IF we are talking about a 1920x1080 tv, then what is happening is that the SAME 1920x1080 pixels must be bigger pixels for bigger screens.

The mp4 is NOT being stretched, it is using the same number of pixels albeit bigger pixels.

If you want to use less of the screen then it has to use LESS pixels.

It is only when your 1920x1080 pixels show is being shown on a 4k screen that "stretching" takes place - one original  pixel would be represented by FOUR pixels on the 4k screen when it is fit to the screen.

I understand what is happening. Ok...whatever you call it, stretching or whatever, how can I prevent it from happening? Can it be prevented?

I don't want to have to create multiple shows for different sizes of TV screens. Can 'bigger pixels for bigger screens' be prevented on larger TVs if the show is created as 1920x1080?

Gary

4 hours ago, Ronniebootwest said:

Goddi.

Maybe Igor can answer this problem, why not contact him?

Igor usually joins in discussions like this. I am hoping he would give us a response. I'll try a more direct approach later. Kind of surprising no one else seems to have this concern or a solution.

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary,

You have said that your relatives do not have 4K televisions so you're actually anticipating a non-issue.  A 1080 p (1920x1080 pixels) show will look perfectly fine on any size screen which has a 1080p resolution. It will not look "pixelated."  The only time a 1920 x 1080 video will be interpolated is if it is displayed on a 4K display.  

Best regards,

Lin

Greetings,

Ok...I am just assuming their TV is not 4K. But since they are in another country, I can't confirm that right now. But when I viewed my PTE shows last week on their large screen TV, I did not like the results. And maybe their TV is not '1080p'. So, let's assume the PTE shows will 'look perfectly fine' on any size screen. I don't agree, but let's just simplify my question. I don't like to see the show on such a large screen. It's like sitting on the front row in a movie theater. Just too big for my eyes. So...my quest is to be able to limit the size of a PTE MP4 show to a smaller area on a large screen TV, as would be shown on a, say, 40" TV. Is this not possible?

Gary

Gary,

Since there is no longer a "fixed size" feature with PTE AV Studio 10, it's not possible for the program itself to constrain the size of the display. Various players can do that but the first question which must be answered is "how are your relatives playing the videos on their TV's?"  If they are using just a USB device and not some type of intermediary player, then there is no way to constrain the display size. On the other hand, various players which connect to televisions via HDMI ports such as VLC media player have more options. Perhaps someone who has HDMI connected players can give you more information. There are also electronic devices which can constrain the size of the display such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Player-AGPtek-Full-HD-Digital-Drives/dp/B00TOAAHG4/ref=asc_df_B00TOAAHG4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312112196361&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=271941390180568105&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028883&hvtargid=pla-493105751471&psc=1

Best regards,

Lin

If you use VLC or similar in some way then it amounts to the same thing!

By changing the size of the "window" you are, in effect, downsizing the original mp4 to a dimension which is acceptable to the viewing distance from the tv i.e. Interpolation downwards.

You are losing "resolution" - if that is what you want you might just as well use "framing" and place a window in the middle of the slide.

It is the same thing. 

I agree about larger TV screens - there is absolutely no point unless you increase the viewing distance and/or get a 4k tv. If I could find a 4k tv in a 32-40inch package I would upgrade immediately but they do not seem to exist (yet).

DG

Dave, Lin...Ok. Thanks. Understanding that plugging in a thumbdrive to the TV, as I had initially mentioned, the size of the display can not be constrained. I'll check into things like you mentioned, VLC media player, etc., via HDMI. The problem is that the relatives would not all have such devices. But that is my problem.

Solution is to see if they can just play them on a computer monitor...:mellow:

Thanks...

Gary

Hi Dave,

Here there are several 40 inch 4K televisions being advertised. I don't know is Vizio is available in the UK or not but here are some local ads. Samsung advertises here with a 43 inch version as well as the 40 inch version mentioned by JT above..

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-40-class-led-v-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6333198.p?skuId=6333198&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=1079&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1260573&ds_rl=1266837&ds_rl=1268709&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3_PckoP85gIVUPDACh0vXQfoEAQYASABEgI8FvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Best regards,

Lin

On 1/10/2020 at 2:36 PM, jt49 said:

When playing videos on a large screen, it will depend on the media player and its settings, if there will be upscaling or not. When (e.g.) using VLC it is possible to choose settings that upscaling does not happen ...

38 minutes ago, Lin Evans said:

... Various players can do that but the first question which must be answered is "how are your relatives playing the videos on their TV's?"  If they are using just a USB device and not some type of intermediary player, then there is no way to constrain the display size. On the other hand, various players which connect to televisions via HDMI ports such as VLC media player have more options ...

Sometimes things have to be said twice :)

52 minutes ago, Lin Evans said:

... Since there is no longer a "fixed size" feature with PTE AV Studio 10, it's not possible for the program itself to constrain the size of the display ...

It really is a pity that this features has gone :angry::(

57 minutes ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Dave,

Here there are several 40 inch 4K televisions being advertised. I don't know is Vizio is available in the UK or not but here are some local ads. Samsung advertises here with a 43 inch version as well as the 40 inch version mentioned by JT above..

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-40-class-led-v-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6333198.p?skuId=6333198&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=1079&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1260573&ds_rl=1266837&ds_rl=1268709&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3_PckoP85gIVUPDACh0vXQfoEAQYASABEgI8FvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin, perhaps I should have been a little more specific. Last time I checked SONY do not do anything smaller than 43inch which is too big for my needs. If they do anything smaller it is not available over here. 40 would be my limit but it would also have to be Sony. Not interested in any other makers.

DG