WnSoft Forums

How to fix playing size of show on large TV?

goddi

Maybe it is me, but I still do not understand what Gary is trying to do?

if VLC were used what parameter would be used to limit the size? It would have to be determined by the user and not the author. If Gary wants to fix the percentage of screen used he can already do this. But it cannot be varied by the user. Is the user capable of setting up VLC ?

DG.

3 hours ago, davegee said:

Maybe it is me, but I still do not understand what Gary is trying to do?

if VLC were used what parameter would be used to limit the size? It would have to be determined by the user and not the author. If Gary wants to fix the percentage of screen used he can already do this. But it cannot be varied by the user. Is the user capable of setting up VLC ?

DG.

Greetings,

Apparently, I have not been clear enough with my question. Think of having to sit a few feet away from the very large TV screen. You'd rather have the video to be sized smaller for a more appropriate distance you are sitting from the screen. I'd just want a way to input into a PTE show so that the video shows up in a maximum preset smaller window on a TV screen.

You mentioned VLC. At first I thought you were talking about something like the WD Media Player device, a separate physical box. But VLC is a media player program to be used on a PC and ported to the TV via HTML, as I believe. So VLC is not the answer. These relatives will just put the thumbdrive into TV and the show will display as big as whatever the size is of the large TV. Can't get too technical with them.

Yes, VLC has the Zoom feature of '1:4 Quarter' that might work but, again, that would be a function at their end that would require them adding in a PC and an HDML cable. And I don't have a large screen TV to actually test this out. Wouldn't the 'Zoom 1:1' just still fill the large TV screen? Dunno.

Gary

Perhaps this is a silly question, but, if the relatives are used to watching a large TV from a few feet away, would they actually want to view a smaller image?

Maybe you see it as pixelated, but if they are used to this, then surely they will accept it?
I know you want your show to be seen at the best quality, but would they actually notice?

Jill

8 minutes ago, jkb said:

Perhaps this is a silly question, but, if the relatives are used to watching a large TV from a few feet away, would they actually want to view a smaller image?

Maybe you see it as pixelated, but if they are used to this, then surely they will accept it?
I know you want your show to be seen at the best quality, but would they actually notice?

Jill

Jill, As a matter of fact, I notice it. And, at a friends house, who had a large TV screen, he did not notice the difference between his reception between what he was getting on his cable and through his network. The network feed was good. The cable was so terrible that I could not watch it. After I pointed it out, he planned to call his cable people to check his cable box. So maybe people just accept what they see, but I care about my presentations. Bigger is not better, in my book.

I also have a problem with my photo club. They display images using the Community Centers overhead projector on a pull down screen. The  display quality of the images is really terrible. Lack of color and pixelated. No one has complained much. I am trying to get them to use a large flat screen TV. Smaller, yes, but so much better quality. So some just don't 'see' the difference until it is pointed out. I don't want my PTE shows to just look OK. I want them to see what the quality that I made with PTE.:)

Gary

1 hour ago, goddi said:

Greetings,

...........Yes, VLC has the Zoom feature of '1:4 Quarter' that might work but, again, that would be a function at their end that would require them adding in a PC and an HDML cable. And I don't have a large screen TV to actually test this out. Wouldn't the 'Zoom 1:1' just still fill the large TV screen? Dunno.

Gary

Hi Gary,

IT's an "HDMI" (High Definition Multimedia Interface) cable.... 

Best regards,

Lin

Gary, 

Just consider this.

You have made your show at glorious 1920x1080 resolution.

Now you want play it at less than full screen on a 1920x1080 tv.

Let's just clutch a figure out of the air and say that your show will now become 1280x720.

Is that what you want? If so why not make the show at 1280x720 and present it on a black 1920x1080 bg at original size? 

It is a much simpler solution.

Whichever way you look at it, if you resize your show so that it only takes up a percentage of the 1920x1080 tv screen you are going to be watching a lower resolution show.

DG

14 minutes ago, davegee said:

Gary, 

Just consider this.

You have made your show at glorious 1920x1080 resolution.

Now you want play it at less than full screen on a 1920x1080 tv.

Let's just clutch a figure out of the air and say that your show will now become 1280x720.

Is that what you want? If so why not make the show at 1280x720 and present it on a black 1920x1080 bg at original size? 

It is a much simpler solution.

Whichever way you look at it, if you resize your show so that it only takes up a percentage of the 1920x1080 tv screen you are going to be watching a lower resolution show.

DG

Dave, All I can say is when I play my PTE shows on my 27" 4K monitor, they look great. When I view them on a large TV screen, they suck. Bigger is not better. Apparently, since "there is no longer a 'fixed size' feature with PTE AV Studio 10, it's not possible for the program itself to constrain the size of the display," as Lin said, there used to be a fix but not available in the newer PTE version.

Gary

Given how well PTE AV Studio handles 4K video and large images now. Especially via a 60p Mp4. Would this now be the time to make our shows as both HD and also 4K.

If had a 4K TV and I was keen to view my shows on it, I’d make them that size.

Gary,

Wondering if the issue is not a function of the particular TV.  Most TVs have something that resembles a "Format" setting where it can be changed from "Normal" to "Stretch" to "Fill" or whatever.  Typically this comes into play if you are watching a non-HD TV show which will display as a 4:3 square in the middle of the screen.  You can  change the format to fill the screen in a number of ways.  Stretch makes people look sort of fat.  Fill (if I remember correctly), cuts off the tops and bottoms of the display.  Can't remember what the other options are or do.  I have run into this in my RV because I have an HD-TV but only a "standard" satellite dish.  If I watch programs from my over-the-air antenna, which are typically broadcast in HD, I don't need any adjustments but if I watch a program via my DIRECTV box, I have to fiddle with the format of the TV to see programs in the most pleasing manner for me.  Same thing happens with standard DVDs.  Perhaps you could have someone load your show and fiddle with the "Format" settings to see if they have any effect.  Just a thought.

Greetings,

I don't believe the solution to my question has to do with changing the TV's 'Format setting'. I am familiar with what you are suggesting. That feature would only change the aspect ratio in the full (large) screen area. My goal is to reduce the overall playing size of the PTE show on a large screen TV. Similar to what you can do when you play an MP4 with WMP and you can resize it as you wish with handles on the edge of the window.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

What you have not told us is the resolution and quality setting of the original JPG  images you gave to PTE?   Even if you did crop the jpg to 1920x1080,  if you used too much compression when saving them then when the video is displayed on a 4K TV (note,  not twice the resolution but 4 times the resolution) the viewed quality will be much worse.

Ian