WnSoft Forums

Text zooms along with Slide - Possible to stop?

Yaryman

Hello, 
I've searched the forum for a possible solution, but wasn't able to find one. ( Didn't want to be newbie that just asked questions without searching )
Not that it matters, but I used PXE all the way back in 2010, then switched to Proshow Producer. My version has just crapped out. 

OK, on to the question.
I am zooming the image, but the text is enlarging along with the image. I don't want that. 
I was able to precisely place and size the text for the slide using Objects and Animation. 
I was able to zoom the image using Styles & Themes. 
Is there a way to "detach" the zooming of the image from the text that I missed? 
Thanks. 

Orizaba, 
I understand the concept of what you are saying, but I'm not sure how to do it. 
I added the text in Objects and Animations by clicking on the Text key. 
How would I not make that text " a son" to the image? 

Text.jpg

If you move the image, or resize it, you will see that the text goes along the same changes, which can be sometime desired.
To give it independence, so that you can move the text separately from any animation of the image itself, you need to first click outside the image before you hit the "Text" button.
With the present situation, you should "Cut" the text (with "CTRL X" for instance), then click outside the image (in the grey margin around it, for instance) and then "Paste" the text (with "CTRL V" for instance) back into your view.  You will then notice, in the bottom right of you screen, that the Text no longer belongs to the image, and that they are both at the same hierarchical Level.

Thanks, that did the trick. I've included a photo to show how it looks, and because people like pictures. 
Of course that leads to more questions. I see that you can control how long the text appears over the slide. 
Can you fade that text in ( other than the entire slide fade )?  From what I've read in proposed new features, you can't. 
I could be wrong, it has happened just twice before. B)

The other question being, I noticed that if a slide has text added in O & A, and you add a zoom/fade to the slide in S&T, 
the text is now gone. On most shows, I usually add the text first, then add zooms/fades much later in the process.

text2.jpg

11 minutes ago, Yaryman said:

... Can you fade that text in ( other than the entire slide fade )?  ...

Highlight the text object in O&A, in the Animation tab, insert some key frames, activate "Opacity", and set appropriate values.

And do not forget to put the objects in the right order.  Just select an object and then right-click to "ORDER" and then choose from the four options "Bring to Front, Send to Back, Forward one, Back one".  The text should be in Front of the image to be visible.

2 hours ago, Yaryman said:

Thanks, that did the trick. I've included a photo to show how it looks, and because people like pictures. 
Of course that leads to more questions. I see that you can control how long the text appears over the slide. 
Can you fade that text in ( other than the entire slide fade )?  From what I've read in proposed new features, you can't. 
I could be wrong, it has happened just twice before. B)

The other question being, I noticed that if a slide has text added in O & A, and you add a zoom/fade to the slide in S&T, 
the text is now gone. On most shows, I usually add the text first, then add zooms/fades much later in the process.

You have complete control over the text. You can fade it in, out, move it, size it, change font, change color, rotate it, bend it, etc., etc., etc. - all independent of what you do to the slide image. I will show you some samples to see the possible. Text can even have images, videos, etc., running inside. it's all a matter of learning how to deal with it in this software which is new to you. PTE is an extremely powerful environment which allows you to essentially do anything with text that can be done with other objects (images, etc.) Below are a few samples of the possible with text which you can do with a little practice. Many of these things have been contributed in the way of free styles which are available to all PTE users and make it very easy to actually use these techniques while you are still learning how to create them for yourself.

As with any features in software, users generally want more and different capabilities and the developers of this fine product are continually improving and refining the possible. Sometimes reading the requests can give one who has no previous experience the wrong impression. That has happened to you I'm afraid. The answer to your question above about fading in and out text independent of what happens to the entire slide is yes indeed you can.... Your second question answer is no, the text does not disappear when you add a zoom or fade to a slide. You can make the text a child of the image so that it does what the parent slide does, but it is an option, not a necessary condition.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for the info about fading in and fading out the text. 
I'm still having the problem with changes made in Styles & Themes. 
Any change made in S&T not only wipes out any text that's been added as a Son or "equal" it also resets the transition effect time to two seconds. ( which I believe is the default ). 
Even just changing the zoom % setting in S&T resets the slide to the default setting. 
Is there setting I've missed that is causing this? 

Hi Yaryman,

Do NOT add a style AFTER adding text or making changes you want to keep in display time. Select and apply desired  styles or themes FIRST, then make any necessary or desired changes such as adding text, changing slide duration or transitions times, etc.. 

Best regards,

Lin

18 hours ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Yaryman,

Do NOT add a style AFTER adding text or making changes you want to keep in display time. Select and apply desired  styles or themes FIRST, then make any necessary or desired changes such as adding text, changing slide duration or transitions times, etc.. 

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks again for all the help.

Just to make sure I'm totally clear, any change made in Styles or Themes resets the slide to the default settings wiping out ALL changes made in Objects & Animation? 
So just changing the zoom effect in Styles and Themes from 106% zoom to a 108% zoom resets the slide to default settings?

Maybe I'm the only one who adds text as he goes, instead of adding all of it after the show is completely done. 
Maybe I'm the only one who adds a slide after the original setup and then needs to change the zoom/fade effect after. 

Since you can set up the text to operate independently from the slide in Objects & Animation, why would you want a change in S&T to change what

you did in Objects and Animation? 

A style is a kind of macro that you apply in order to save time in O&A. You apply it first, when you start to build a new slide (or a sequence of slides). Further changes should be done in O&A. Once you have applied a style, it isn't there any longer, so there is nothing to change with your style.

Hi Yaryman,

I'll try to address your questions. Changes made in Styles or Themes doesn't set the slide to the "default" settings, it sets the slide to the settings chosen by the person who created the style. Sometimes that might be the same as the default settings, sometimes not depending on what the style does and how it appears or is designed to appear.

If you use a style or theme, use it BEFORE making any changes via slide options or Objects and Animations.  When someone creates a style or theme, they set the display time corresponding to the desired effect. There are options before applying a style to change the timing to make the animation faster or slower. When you change this timing you can see the effect BEFORE applying the style to a slide or slides.

There are many reasons why a change in styles and/or themes changes what has been done in Objects and Animations. The primary reason for a style is to give someone who has less programming knowledge an opportunity to avail themselves of the talents of a more experienced user. Most frequently styles create animations and that means they affect what happens in Objects and Animations. The person creating the style has no clue what you may have done in the way of making changes from the defaults so it would be impossible to create a logical style without having pre-assumptions about conditions. It's simply not logical to try and leave things such as text as they "were" in Objects and Animations because the style creator may also be making a style which uses text which can be modified by the user of that style. How would the creator of a style know, apriori, what was potentially already in Objects and Animations? 

If you decide to use a style or theme, just do it BEFORE making any additions of text or other animations to a slide and you will have no problems. If you make changes and "then" decide to use a style it is going to undo any changes you have made to the slide. That's just the way it is.

Best regards,

Lin

If you want to use a style AND have text on multiple images, you can apply the style, then add your text and make a new style from the resulting slide and apply that to all other slides.

You can, when you add the text, right click and select TEXT COMMENT. When you apply your Style you will be prompted to insert the text before pressing OK. It is still editable afterwards.

DG

P.S. Igor is aware of the shortcomings of Styles in this area and has promised, in a future version, that the subject of ADDITIVE STYLES will be addressed.

It looks like I could achieve the desired zoom/fade out effect using key frames in Objects & Animation? 
Is there a way to create a template that has key frames already set up at the beginning and end of each slide in O&A so that all the would be required is to change settings? 
Pretty much every slide I include in show has a fade/zoom, then a few have an extra effect. 
This photo shows what I'm use to. ( yes, it's software from a different company ) It looks like O&A page. I can change the size of image/text/video all without effecting the other settings. 

keyframe.jpg

Yes, it's a simple thing to create a style which performs a fade/zoom, but you need to say whether you want to start with a small image and zoom-in or start with a large image and zoom out. A starting keyframe is put in every image by default so all you need to do to make a "template" (which is a style in this sense) is to take a single image of the aspect ratio and orientation you want to use for your style. Set the default display time and amount of zoom (in or out). Decide if you want a border or another image or even the same image as a blurred background, etc., Set an ending keyframe, do your zoom and set the attributes such as smooth, slow down, etc., whether you want a border or not and if so the color and size. Once you have the individual slide exactly as you want to see all your slides, then go to the slide view and click on Styles and Themes, choose "Style" "Tool" "Create Style."  When your style is created you can apply it to any or all images by simply selecting each or all in the slide list then applying. Do NOT add text unless you know you want text in every slide. You can add the text after the style is applied.

If you create a single slide exactly the way you want all to appear then save the project as "File" "Create Backup In Zip" and post this zipped archive with a link, I'll be glad to make a quick style(s) for you. It's a very simple thing to do once you understand how it works.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, 
Thank you again for your time and patience. 
I don't want a style & themes template because as discussed, one change there wipes out the objects and animation text. 
It seemed doing zooms/fades in objects & animation allowed me make change that were layer specific like in the photo I just posted.  
Is it possible to do zooms/fades of the slide layer in objects & animation?

Here's how my slide shows get made. 

Go to Europe. Shoot 6,000 to 8,000 images. Shot 100 time lapses. Shoot 100 lousy videos. Come home. 
Select RAW files in Photo Mechanic to work on.
Work on those files in Lightroom, Luminar 4, and finally size and crop them in Photoshop to 4800 x 2700. 
Then I start to build the slide show. The slide show starts with how ever many slides I've worked over. It's never all of them, so the show continues to get bigger & bigger. 
As I build the show, I add text to photos that need it, or where I can google search information about what the photo is. 
It's a continual process.
Build time 20 time lapses, then use about 3 in show. 
Look at 100 lousy videos, and then use 20 seconds total in the show.  
I don't know if a slide will be zoomed/faded at any point during the building process. I may build 10 slides one way, and then change them later. 
Then after days, or weeks of work I end up with this. 

Hi Yaryman,

Give me a few minutes and I'll make you a quick tutorial video to show you exactly how to do what you are doing in the vast majority of your show. As you mentioned, it's mostly very slow zooms in and zooms out with sometimes text and sometimes no text. It's very easy to do and you can either use styles or not. You'll see how to keep the text from zooming with the image or, if you want, how to make it zoom with the image. The advantage of using a style is that you can pre-set things like smooth, slow down, etc., for the image without having to do it for each image. The disadvantage of using a style is that when you apply it "after" adding text, you will lose the text. On the other hand, you can easily go to a slide which has text, go to Objects and Animations and copy the text, apply the style which will add the desired zoom in, zoom out, etc., then simply paste the text you have copied back after the style has been applied. I'll also show you how that's done. I think using styles would make perfect sense because you simply apply the style THEN add the text rather than the other way around. I'll show you and put the tutorial video under this text in a short while...

Best regards,

Lin

Sorry, my internet was down for a while - here's the video: