WnSoft Forums

Custom Text on all slides

Dewcal

Please bear with this question as I am a newcomer to PTE - a refugee from Producer!.  I am making my first slide show which is a very basic sequence of images from the last nine years of a local sing along and will have some 200 slides of the various artists.

I wish to include the exif date of capture on each slide and have been able to do this via "select all" and getting the text field from the "comments" box.  So far, so good.

This text appears to default to the top centre of the image and is in white.  I wish to have the text in black and at an angle of 45 degrees in the top left corner of each image.  I am able to do this via "objects and transitions" for a single slide.  If I select more than one slide, the "objects.." option is not available.

While I can go into each slide and manually set position , rotation and colour is there a way to do this for all slides?  The only exception would be the title slide.  Hopefully I have missed something very obvious to allow this to happen.....

I am not using any styles / transitions other than the very basic ones....

Any help would be appreciated.

OK - RTFM - has allowed me to get the required text into the top left of each slide, however I am still struggling to rotate it to 45 degrees for all slides without doing it automatically....

Hi Dewcal,

It's a pretty simple solution. After applying the text template so that the text appears on all slides, just seleect the first slide and go to Objects and Animations. Select the text object then Rotate the text as you want it to appear then go back to the slide list with that slide selected and click on "Slide Styles and Themes."  Choose slide styles and click on "Tools" and create a quick style which will do what you want. Select all slides and apply the style and all your slides will have the text rotated as you wish. By doing it this way, you can solve multiple issues. You can select a different font on that first slide, select a different color, add or change drop shadow, etc. and when your new style is applied, all images will share whatever changes you have made.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Wideangle,

What he said was "I am not using any styles / transitions other than the very basic ones...."   I can't know what that precisely means.  As with any style use, existing transitions "may" be changed if they are different than the transitions in the creation of the style. Styles, if used prior to applying a new style, would be undone by applying a new style, but again it's not possible to know precisely what has been done already. 

The proper way to achieve what is desired would be to first do the text template, then create and apply the style, then where any different styles were desired - first open the slide in Objects and Animations, copy the existing text, apply the new style and then open that slide in Objects and Animations and "paste" the original text. Any changes in transitions could be applied to individual slides which had a style applied without affecting the rest of the style's effects.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Yes, agreed - it's not quite clear about the detail with regard to the basic styles used.
Your suggestion of what could be done to achieve what's needed should help.

(I just thought I'd try to emphasise the fact that applying a style will tend to undo what has been achieved from the application of a previous style, and that you cannot just apply one style on top of another and expect to keep all the effects.
This may not be apparent to new users.)

Regards

wideangle

Lin, Wideangle,

Many thanks for replies, I will try to "create" a style tomorrow when I next get a chance.  Sorry if not clear about "basic styles" - I can only say that I have not knowingly applied any styles to to the show.  I have merely added the slides ...

One day i may learn more about PTE!  Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Keep in mind that if your slide has a dark color in the upper left hand side, a black font might not be visible.  If you create the style and want to use it on multiple aspect ratio slides, you will need to move it far enough into the slide so that it will be seen on less than a 16:9 aspect ratio slide. Of course after applying the style, you can always go to individual slides and modify the position of the text manually.  Also, if some of your slides are in portrait mode, the position will have to be adjusted accordingly.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

All slides for this "show" are 16:9 landscape so will name the "style" accordingly! I have been in and changed the colour on a couple of the slides where the visibility is low as you surmise.

I have previously used text with a white edge / stroke to help the black colour stand out when on a darker background - will wait until I know PTE a little better before I try to be this clever!

Many thanks again.

Dave

Easy, just add a light coloured drop shadow to the text. The larger the number in the distance box the softer and more diffuse the shadow. You can get it to just be a lighter background to the text to make it stand out.

Jill

Tonton,

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to put together your informative video.  It makes sense of what Lin, Wideangle and Jill had said.

Very much appreciated.

Again thanks to all who have helped me on this issue.

Dave