WnSoft Forums

Update - Installation error (Solved)

Barry Beckham

I tried to update PTE AV Studio to version 10.0.6, but got the attached 

I tried uninstalling PTE and reinstalled from the wnsoft site, but still get the same warning and installation does not complete. I tried again and tried skipping the file but cannot get PTE AV Studio installed

snap148.jpg

Barry,

It seems that PTE AV Studio is running while updating. Close manually all running copies of the program. Also check Task Manager, probably PTE AV Studio couldn't correctly finish its work and stayed in background.

If it doesn't help, restart Windows and run update again. It should help.

Barry,

Two possible reasons:

- Two instances of the program are launched by the user (I think it's not your case).

- Or the program freezed on closing (before the update or after video encoding).

Anyway restarting of Windows should solve this issue.

Barry, from the error message, it appears that perhaps a cache was responsible. You deleted all the files and rebooted and still had the problem. Generally, when a complete delete of all files is performed by Windows, a cache is cleared but in this case it appears perhaps that didn't happen. Since others haven't had the problem, I'm guessing that it was a Window's error. The important thing is that you now have it working. Danged computers can do strange things. When I installed a new nVidia card in my Win 8.1 system, I simply unplugged my video cable and plugged in a new one to my 30" display. Instantly I had no video and really strange flashes and such and I had carefully grounded myself before touching anything. The bottom line is that my $500 30 inch 2650x1600 display was trashed. Go figure. I've changed displays perhaps 50 times over the years and NEVER had an issue before. Just bad luck I guess...

Best regards,

Lin

I have a sneaking suspicion that the issue is a local one, but still surprising because in all the times I’ve installed PTE, especially when testing I have never had one install fail till now. I’ve had another curious issue in the past few weeks that make me believe the PTE problem is in fact a Windows one.

My main PC would not boot past my sign on screen some weeks ago, unless I removed the LAN cable. It took me ages to discover this because it never occurred to me that an internet connection would cause that failure to boot. Once booted the cable could be inserted and everything worked. The PC appeared to have corrected the error, but it cropped up again some weeks later. Same issue and will boot only when not connected to the internet.

Once again it seems to have righted itself somehow, but this latest issue might mean I am need of a format and clean up, but just don’t have the time or the inclination right now.

What happened with the trashed Monitor, I hope that issue didn’t leave you $500 down :o

Hi Barry,

Yes, danged Window's issues can be deceiving. Sadly, Microsoft never really debugs their operating systems, they just create new ones complete with new bugs. Unless the bug is widespread and blatantly obvious, they just ignore it and drive on. Years ago I used to modify some internal Windows codes to  bring up a Window's image and a message which said essentially "Windows 95. - 711 bugs and counting" when the user booted up.  Attempts to get Microsoft to debug the system just resulted in the release of Window 98 - Sigh...

Sadly the monitor which had very little use had to go to the junk yard (cost me $25 just to get rid of it). I had it for a couple years, but never used my Win 8.1 system much except for testing. When PTE AV Studio 10 beta was being tested I had to switch because my old XP is 32 bit so now even though I vastly prefer Win XP to Win 8.1 I use the newer system pretty much daily. 

Such is life I guess...

Best regards,

Lin