WnSoft Forums

Use of tiff file format [DONE]

Dewcal

Hi,

I can't answer for the developers, but since PTE already supports PNG, there really doesn't seem to be any advantage in supporting tiff that I can think of. The uncompressed file size makes tiff files very costly to store. There really isn't any advantage over a low compression jpg in terms of image quality that I've ever noticed and since you can have uncompressed png it seems like an unlikely probability. If used to make an exe show for PC or Mac, tiff results in a huge file size. When used for a video there is no penalty, but then there is no advantage either that I know of.

Best regards,

Lin

Barry,

Thanks for reply - have no problem with being able to do batch conversion - for some reason I do not like jpg, so would most likely go with png.

Igor,

Will watch this space with interest.

Thanks again.

Maybe it is my eyesight, but I can not tell the difference between a full resolution TIFF and PNG or 100% JPEG when all three are inserted into a PTE project.

However, the file sizes are 140Mb (TIFF), 25Mb (PNG) and 11Mb (JPEG). To me that is a no-brainer.

I am open to persuasion though by means of a verifiable demonstration.

DG

I just checked for specification of TIFF format and feeled a fear about support of this monstrous format:
Not sure that it's a good idea to support this format and it will never be supported fully and correctly.

1. Mode:
Single image, multiple pages, layers.

2. Color: 
RGB
CMYK
YCbCr
CIE Lab
Indexed
Grayscale

3. Compression:
PackBits (RLE)
Lempel-Ziv-Welch (LZW)
LZ77
ZIP
JBIG
JPEG
CCITT Group 3, CCITT Group 4

So many free batch converters. If you are publishing in executable format the file size would be very large. I guess the convenience not having to convert might be nice but I doubt you would notice quality difference. Until 10 bit video becomes common I doubt if most people could tell the difference. Maybe Igor could read tiff and save internally as png without quality loss.

https://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

https://www.irfanview.com/

Tom

• Igor changed the title to Use of tiff file format [DONE]