WnSoft Forums

Unexpected action after inserting blank slide [SOLVED]

Beemer

After completing my first AV and saving as MP4 I decided to insert a blank slide so as to add credit for my audio track.   I did this whilst the cursor was on the first slide.  The result was that the original first slide appeared to disappear or be overwritten.   I deleted the blank slide and the original reappeared.   What did I do wrong.   Is there a better way to add a credit for the free audio?

Ian 

Dave,

When I did this I saw a very narrow blank slide at the extreme left but no original first slide.  When I deleted the blank slide then retried, every slide thumbnail on the timeline had been stretched (!) which looked very strange.  I closed the file before it auto saved.  It reverted okay when reopened.  To solve this I inserted a blank slide at the end of the slide list and added the credit there.

I'll try to insert at the front on my next video.   For info,  I used 16 slides with Ken Burns effects.  This was intended for possible website use by another,  so I exported my images from Lightroom as JPG 3840x2560 and 80% quality.  The published MP4 file was 506MB and 2'25".

Ian

Yes,  I highlighted the first slide then selected insert a blank slide.   It definately did not look correctly inserted and because it "deleted" or was placed on top I decided to remove it.  On doing this the first slide reappeared..

Ian

because inserting in Timeline depends where you put the pointer & can make slides overlap if the gap between slides is not big enough to insert a new one.

Yes I know that you can then adjust the positions but a newcomer to PTE may not realise that there is an overlap - as in this case?

I always insert, move or delete in Slide view and use Timeline for adjusting slide duration & transition times.

Jill

A bright red colour beaming out from the grey should be enough to alert even a beginner that perhaps the software is telling us something important.  I suppose my clumsy point was that there are no rules and it’s the end result that counts.

A beginner doesn't, I have just had this exact case. Someone sent in an AV and when I played it I could see that the transitions were jumping rather than flowing smoothly.

They sent me a picture of the timeline and I could immediately see the problem with all the red overlaps.

As they were brand new to PTE they hadn't realised what the red was.

When you know it is easy, but when you don't know it isn't.

Jill

17 hours ago, jt49 said:

Inserting new slides, and rearranging slides should be done in the Slide View.

......and I tried it and it worked just fine.   Tried it as before and again the first slide was overlapped.  Surely that is not by design?

Ian

In the Timeline it will always be "dropped" according to the Cursor position that you chose and if your Transition Duration is such that it overlaps another slide then that is what you will get.

Most people use the Slide List for this but some use the Timeline quite happily and with no problem.

Once you understand what you are seeing and doing it will eventually become clear.

DG

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

..... Surely that is not by design?

This is difficult to assess. There are situations where inserting a slide using the timeline can be useful: If you want to split an existing slide into 2 slides without changing the starting points of all existing slides.

Think about it?

That is probably the one place it will not work.

If you add the blank anywhere else and allow the for the Transition Duration when choosing the cursor position it will work without the Red overlap warning.

I do not use the Timeline for adding slides - I use the Slide List (personal preference)

26 minutes ago, Beemer said:

I made sure that the cursor was right at the left before the insertion.  

Ian

If you do this in Timeline, then yes it will overlap the first slide.
If they have the same duration then it will appear that it has overwritten the first slide

In slide view you can position the cursor on the white part just before the first slide (or just after the last) & PTE will insert the blank in the correct place.

Jill

• Igor changed the title to Unexpected action after inserting blank slide [SOLVED]