WnSoft Forums

Through My Kitchen Window

Lin Evans

My daughter and grandson were out visiting and overheard me say I was thinking about building a little squirrel feeder to help the little bushy tailed critters through a tough winter. They play in my backyard tree and tease my pit pup and service dog Ruby who has learned to not only tolerate them but ignore them as they scamper along the cedar-slat fence and leap gracefully to and from the tree. I was quite surprised at Christmas to find a big box on my front porch. When I opened it, it contained a cedar-wood squirrel feeder and a huge sack of mixed squirrel feed. I got out my step-ladder and installed it on my tree, filled it up with feed and soon the little bushy-tailed, bright eyed critters had figured it out and were enjoying their time at the "snack-bar."  When I have nothing else to do, I snap a few pictures of them and here are a few of those in a small slideshow...

Lin & Ruby pup

Hi Lin,

Nice presentation and nice feeder. We have hummingbirds in the summer but not many squirrels. They probably don't like to eat redwood tree bark and they don't have the right kind of nut.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Kieron, Tom,

Thanks - just a fun way to remember some of the little furry critters who live out their lives in some pretty harsh conditions. They modified the plastic a bit on the feeder to make it a bit wider and deeper so they could get their head and neck in with less effort. It's amazing how quickly they learned to just lift up the lid and stand on the platform and nosh away. They spill just enough to keep the doves and other feathered critters happy. My neighbor has a bird feeder so the neighborhood is pretty popular with both birds and squirrels and the occasional bunny. The little bunnies can slip under the slight passages along the fence. They are small enough for bunny doors but too tight for the neighborhood foxes so they feel safe dining every night in the yard on the little bit of vegetation which survived the winter.

Best regards,

Lin & Ruby pup

Hi Aleina,

It's fun to watch them play. I don't get out too much any more and having a little mini-wildlife show in the back yard keeps me from getting bored for sure!  Between my pup Ruby and the squirrels, bunnies, birds, butterflies, bees and such we have lots of things to photograph and observe.

Best regards,

Lin