WnSoft Forums

Coming from ProShow Gold

Scott S

As one who utilized ProShow Gold for over 10 years from the recently closed Photodex Corporation, can anyone here recommend that this is a quality alternative?

My gut is that this is also an amazing program for slide shows.

Just wondering if anyone here had experience transitioning from PSG to WnSoft?

Thanks so much!
Scott S

:) 

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply! That's my feeling so far surfing the web, too.

Photodex recommends "Photopia," and while they might be amazing in their own right, I really resist subscription software. Just do not appreciate it. So I am thankful that this is a buy program rather than monthly.

Do you recommend the highest version of WnSoft's PTE AV?

57 minutes ago, Scott S said:

Photodex recommends "Photopia,"

And what else could they recommend, if not a company that outbid them (some developers also moved to Photopia). I worked hard Photopia for a month at the end of last year. Too many negative aspects remained in the new program from predecessors, many bugs, and poor support. I do not see a good future for Photopia.

1 hour ago, Scott S said:

Do you recommend the highest version of WnSoft's PTE AV?

I do not know your needs, given that you worked with ProShow Gold. I worked for more than 10 years with ProShow Producer, so I chose PTE AV Studio Pro to the maximum.

Paul

There is only one download & the free trial lasts for 30 days.

You can easily switch between versions in the Trial to see the differences - settings/preferences

If you want to do any sound editing  or image manipulation in PTE rather than an external program then go for the Pro

If you do go for the standard & then find later that you need the Pro, you just pay the difference in price.

Jill

Scott

As well as the demo video recommended by Igor above, and produced by Barry Beckham, take a look at the large collection of videos on Barry’s website. They will quickly give you a feel for PTE AV Studio Pro and how it compares with what you have been used to. 

Regards

wideangle

On 4/10/2020 at 11:08 AM, stranger2156 said:

And what else could they recommend, if not a company that outbid them (some developers also moved to Photopia). I worked hard Photopia for a month at the end of last year. Too many negative aspects remained in the new program from predecessors, many bugs, and poor support. I do not see a good future for Photopia.

I do not know your needs, given that you worked with ProShow Gold. I worked for more than 10 years with ProShow Producer, so I chose PTE AV Studio Pro to the maximum.

Paul

Agreed, Paul. I just have this "thing" about not dropping endless money on subscription monthly services. I don't even do Adobe/LR, because of this. I am utilizing On1Raw at this point. Thanks for your "take" on their support. That was one of the things I loved most about Photodex, was the support. If you found Photopia's poor, I'd be "out" on them with that alone. I always "courted" Pro Show Producer, so think if I go the PTE AV Studio, I'll definitely go for the top. Thanks again!@ 

On 4/10/2020 at 4:19 PM, jkb said:

There is only one download & the free trial lasts for 30 days.

You can easily switch between versions in the Trial to see the differences - settings/preferences

If you want to do any sound editing  or image manipulation in PTE rather than an external program then go for the Pro

If you do go for the standard & then find later that you need the Pro, you just pay the difference in price.

Jill

Thanks, Jill! based on this, I think I'll go for the Pro :)!

On 4/11/2020 at 9:13 AM, wideangle said:

Scott

As well as the demo video recommended by Igor above, and produced by Barry Beckham, take a look at the large collection of videos on Barry’s website. They will quickly give you a feel for PT AV Studio Pro and how it compares with what you have been used to. 

Regards

wideangle

Great Suggestion!
Thanks so much, wideangle!

Hi All,

I, too, have used Proshow Producer for umteen years and found it very satisfactory but I have migrated to PTE Av Studio Pro as, like some of you, Photopia still needs alot of work on it.   I, too, do not like subscription service anyway.   PTE AV Studiio Pro does everything I need but it is a learning curve! but I am winning and will produce my first AV in the next day or so.

David

Scott, I was also a ProShow user for several years, first Gold, and then Producer. I also tried the trial version of Photopia. While it is more compatible with ProShow projects than Studio 10, I think Studio 10 has more to offer and easier to use. I'm having a difficult time with some of the things I want to do, but that is only because things are just done differently in Studio 10. Some things, I'm finding are actually easier, and there are a lot of useful tutorials by Barry Beckham on YouTube. At first I felt I was a babe in the woods, but the members of the PTE Forum have been very patient with me. I am at the point now where I am ready to purchase Studio 10.

On 4/10/2020 at 5:03 PM, Scott S said:

As one who utilized ProShow Gold for over 10 years from the recently closed Photodex Corporation, can anyone here recommend that this is a quality alternative?

My gut is that this is also an amazing program for slide shows.

Just wondering if anyone here had experience transitioning from PSG to WnSoft?

Thanks so much!
Scott S

:) 

I too was a ProShow Producer user. I found the transition to PTE  different. Styles are applied differently for example (Easier in PTE) The commands are different. The forum users were extremely helpful. My main concern was how to manage text in PTE as I use a lot of text in my shows. Forum members showed me work arounds. I only wish that I could work out how to make the 1500 slide styles I have for Producer work in PTE!

Rosemary

• 7 months later...

I've used ProShow Producer for many years but there were aspects of it which were unsatisfactory: (1) instability (2) doesn't cope very well when there are separate sounds being played at the same time (music, commentary and sound effect) and (3) inability to really zoom in on the equivalent of the "objects and animation" editor making alignment of (for example) a .png file over a .jpeg file very difficult. I experimented with Photopia but wasn't impressed and like many others was very unhappy with the subscription based model. Having experimented with PTE AV Studio, I bought the professional version today. It is not as intuitive as ProShow by a long way but Barry Beckham's video tutorials have been invaluable and, to be blunt, without them I would have struggled.

I do understand why the keenest AV workers (and I include myself amongst them) like PTE so much but there are a few areas where ProShow is superior:

1 it is more customisable

2 It is easier to copy settings from one slide to one or more others particularly captions/text. Rosemary A above says there are ways round this but I've not found them!

3 I prefer ProShow's model of separating slide thumbnails from transitions and having different icons for different transitions.

4 I like ProShow indicating font sizes

5 Significantly quicker to load projects

6. It doesn't interfere with Microsoft Excel ! 

I will now use PTE for the vast majority of new slide shows unless there are lots of captions when I'll stick with ProShow because, overall, PTE is a much better product. Just a pity I can't import my existing ProShow files.

Philip, you have highlighted my beefs about the differences between ProShow Producer and PTE AV Studio. My particular beef is with the text module and having to resize it with every slide unless you copy and paste the slide with the text the size you want, then delete the original text and enter the new text. Igor did say that this problem would be addressed in future versions. I sincerely hope so.

Rosemary A 

Regarding the font ... some settings, in my opinion, need some logic. For example, on the O&A tab in the text properties there is an option "Remember default font", and this option only affects the name of the font, but not its size. On the other hand, in the presets of the project options, I can adjust the font, size, shadow and position in the viewport. But this only works for titles in the project window, not for new texts in O&A.
And I also noticed that a font size like 5 for a custom title on an O&A slide appears as 10. And that size does not match a size of 10 for text added to a slide in O&A. Such "logic" when working with text is a little disorienting.

Paul