WnSoft Forums

Text Size

Tejano Bob

I am working on a project that has a lot of text pages interspersed with image pages. For the most part the text properties are easy to use and intuitive. But I find it odd that there seems to be no easy way to set the font size and keep it constant between slides. The font size can be controlled either manually in the display or with the Zoom control, but while the Zoom is more precise, it often has to be set to different values to keep the font size constant between slides. In Slide 2, the font size is set to 58. In slide 7, the font size of the header is larger than the text. Yet the Zoom value of the text is much larger than the header.

The TEXT ZOOM value is directly related to the NUMBER of lines in your text, and it changes for each line that you add (or substract).  Choose 100% and the text will fill the frame from top to bottom (in height).

Have you tried to read the on-line user manual:

https://docs.pteavstudio.com/en-us/10.0/how_to_v10/add_text?s[]=font&s[]=size

<<Note also that one line of Text in the above example = 15% Zoom. Two lines of Text = 30% Zoom; three lines of Text = 45% etc. This relationship will continue until the size of the “bounding box” is altered via a mouse action.>>
<<In the next Example it can be seen that One line of Text at 6% gives the same Font Size as 16 lines of Text at 96% Zoom. Knowing this relationship allows the user to create a consistent Font Size across multiple Slides.>>

You probably already know that there is a direct relationship between Text Size for one line and for several lines of text.

(For a given text size), One line of Text at 10% Zoom = 6 Lines of Text at 60% Zoom (etc).

Following Robert's suggestion will give you the same size text across many slides, but it only gives one option.

It would be nice to have options for Title, Sub-Title and Main Body of Text etc.

No, I didn't know about the relationship between Zoom and the number of lines of text. I'll have to go back and study it using this information. 

Update 4-24-2020: 

I have used the online User’s Guide. Frankly, I find it hard to use. It’s not the same as a printed user’s guide.  It’s true that it’s easier to update and keep current.  It has a lot of topics, some of which are for previous versions of Studio. That would be less of a problem if I knew what it was I wanted to do. I don’t even know what all Studio 10 is capable of.  From my perspective, the problem is that it’s a User’s Guide; it’s not  a “learner’s guide.” A printed User's Guide would also be a "learner's guide. I could read through it page by page. Anything that caught my interest I could try it in a project to see if it worked. I could carry it with me to the doctor's office and study it while I waited.

The problem is compounded when I consult the online user’s guide, “Entering Text” for example, and a form is shown  for  inserting a template with more options than I will probably ever use, and, when I click on Insert Template, instead getting this form of options, I get I get a simple list of options. If I click on NameI get the existing text followed by “<%Mainlmg.File Name%>.

As for my question about sizing text, I thought I understood the responses. If one line = 15% , then it would make sense that 4 lines would equal 60%. But when I tried to apply that to my project, it didn't seen to work. One of my slides had 12 lines of text. what should the Zoom be set for?  If I set one line to 20, what would the size of 6 lines. I finally realized that I was in a different dimension. I was thinking picas while the responders were talking screen size, and the relationships hold true. If one line is set for a Zoom of 10, then 10 lines of text is going to fill the screen, and 11 lines would not FIT on the screen.

For a writer, it would make more sense to set the text size in picas in the same place that the text name is chosen.  Whatever difficulties I run into aside, Studio 10 is still a great AV program. Thanks for your responses.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to the help and  a couple of critical comments from forum members, this is no longer a problem for me. As happened so often in my career (when I was working. I'm now retired), I felt like I was being dragged, kicking and screaming, in directions I didn't want to go. That may seem overly dramatic, but nevertheless true. Rather than use text pages, I now make voice recordings to support my graphics. I didn't think my hoarse voice would allow me to use voice recordings, but it did, and my slide show is now a documentary with me narrating.

One of the problems I encountered was in using the Windows 10 built-in recorder, which produces an mp4 file. Something I realized a long time ago is that mp4 is a compressed file, and tends to change words in a song. In attempting to use the recordings in my documentary, I found the problem more severe. I ended up using a more sophisticated recorder, and recording my voice as wav files. I was surprised to find that, while saving my finished documentary as an mp4 video, I did not witness the aforementioned distortion. It makes me wonder if Studio 10 uses a higher quality mp4, or a different compression ratio, in its videos.

At any rate, that's where I am now, and I thank the forum members who helped me get here. But, when all is said and done, I still wish Studio 10 had the option of setting font size in the same place that font style is selected.