WnSoft Forums

Unfolding concept

thedom

I have been working on an old "unfolding" concept I created in PTE in 2010 (you can watch this, there is a letter unfolding at 0:29). 
I improved it with the new features available in V10. 

The nine pieces unfolding really gave me headhache and I thought I could never achieve the effect. I wanted it to be universal and to work with images in landscape and portrait format as well and what ever their format (16:9, 3:2, 4:3)

It was really much more complex to realize than my initial 4 pieces unfolding and really pushed my limits more than I thought.

That's why, after days and days of effort, I am glad to be able to present it to you.

I think you should stop making styles and turn your attention to creating a Coronavirus cure. With your brain we would have one by the middle of next week. I don’t know how you think of these style ideas, let alone create them.  Great work.

15 hours ago, thedom said:

I am glad to be able to present it to you.

Great job, Dom!
I was always interested in how this or that effect is obtained, especially in the program in which you like to work. Disclosure of the image itself was not particularly difficult, made a couple of options. There is more to think about to improve some of the details. I'm more interested in whether you managed to make this style universal when it can be applied to various photo formats? Or does each format need a different style?

15 hours ago, thedom said:

I wanted it to be universal and to work with images in landscape and portrait format as well and what ever their format (16:9, 3:2, 4:3)

2 hours ago, stranger2156 said:

Great job, Dom!
I was always interested in how this or that effect is obtained, especially in the program in which you like to work. Disclosure of the image itself was not particularly difficult, made a couple of options. There is more to think about to improve some of the details. I'm more interested in whether you managed to make this style universal when it can be applied to various photo formats? Or does each format need a different style?

What the... !! I am shocked to see how our achievements are alike! And I used the sepia filter too! 
And yet, I swear to you that I have never seen your video. I discovered it just now. Is there brain transfer through the air ??
That's so strange                                            !!

In any case, as you say, the realization of the sequence is achievable for someone experienced.
Honestly, I had issues with the disclosure and I had to really think in 3D space.

Personally, I had to face three challenges:
- make the assembly universal (yes, it is the same unfolding sequence whatever the format)
It's hard to explain but the trick is to achieve EVERYTHING with the main image object as a starting point reference and to build the rest with this reference and dependance. All pieces objects are dependant one from each other. You MUST not use frame, only your image. It's a real headache but at the end, the animation works for all image formats and all points of view.
- render the assembly without 3D anomaly whatever the point of view, and not only with a view on the top.
I made  the assembly in top view... I had to start over almost from scratch! My method was incompatible with change of the X Y axis of rotation!
- make the assembly fluid + add shadows and reflections effects to make it "photo realistic". I continued to polish it this morning. That's the little details which make it look "professional"

Tom, Barry, Lin, Wideangle, Kieron, thanks a lot.
Barry, if I could find a cure against coronovirus, I would be sad but I would immediately stop PTE ! Unfortunately I will continue with this sofware ;-)

1 hour ago, stranger2156 said:

How to make it universal, for all formats, remains a mystery to me ... I will look for such an opportunity.

Here is the concept with a very simple project.
Replace the image with an other image (16/9 for example or even portrait) and you will see that it will automatically adapt to the maximum screen display possible (80% in this case without beeing cropped).
With your skills, it will be very easy for you to study what I mean.

Universal format project 4 Strange_May8-2020_20-53-16.zip

I'm sure it will be piece of cake for you.

I don't know if you already watched it but this demo  is done with with the same concept of universal format :
It works perfectly for every format of picture used for the cover and optimised to the maximum display on screen without beeing cropped.

10 hours ago, thedom said:

Dom, I did it, thanks for the tip! My concept was different from yours only in that it used a frame. After using the picture itself as a frame, everything worked in a wonderful way - the effect has become universal for any picture format. It remains to bring to shine and the effect is ready. )) With your help, I made for myself another discovery in the PTE.

Best regards,

Paul

16 hours ago, thedom said:

Replace the image with an other image (16/9 for example or even portrait) and you will see that it will automatically adapt to the maximum screen display possible (80% in this case without beeing cropped).

Thanks thedom, Very, very good tip.

Pascal.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:37 PM, thedom said:

- make the assembly fluid + add shadows and reflections effects to make it "photo realistic". I continued to polish it this morning. That's the little details which make it look "professional"

Hi Dom, 
I managed to cope with the universality of the effect for any image formats (with your help), but there was a problem with the effects of reflections during spreads. As I understand it, masks are needed for reflections. These masks should be integrated into the U-turn design. The problem is that only the mask can be integrated with the image format corresponding to the project format. As a result, the universality of the effect, with reflections, is again in question. Which way did you realize this? It’s a little strange why the mask stencil does not react in the design in the same way as image objects?

Paul

unfolding.gif

thedom

Collective stimulation brings first results. My version is almost ready. Thanks for the idea of how to make the style adaptive for any image!  I’ll work a little more on the shadows and show the result.

Kind regards,

Aleina

P.S. Result... 

5 hours ago, Aleina Show said:

I’ll work a little more on the shadows

Nice work, Aleina!
In addition to adjusting the shadows, as you promise, think about reflections. Above, I asked Dom about this. Using masks in the created design is impossible. Due to the fact that the universality of the effect is lost. It remains only to manipulate the filters on duplicate images. Not the best option (blurry reflections will go beyond the plane, and this will be noticeable on a dark background). But I think an acceptable option is possible. If the Dom does not offer another alternative.))

Paul