WnSoft Forums

Coming Soon. PTE AV Studio for Mac

Igor

Today I've compiled first ARM version of PTE AV Studio for future Macs with Apple Silicon. It has some issues, but the main code already works on my Mac for developers with Apple Silicon CPU. The speed and smoothness are great.

Intel version of PTE AV Studio for Mac also works fine on Apple Silicon in emulation. This emulation is invisible for users. It just works as native application for ARM CPU.

So PTE AV Studio will be available for any Macs - with traditional Intel CPU or with future Apple Silicon CPU.

Igor,

Are  you planning to use the Universal 2 Binary option to create a single Mac file that contains ARM and Intel versions of the slideshow media? Will Windows computers also be able to create a Universal 2 Binary in the future? I know that some of these questions can probably not be answered until you test.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

I can't say about Universal Binary format right now, because all development tools for Apple Silicon are in early Beta versions.

Probably Universal Binary format will mean double file size of the installation file.

Regarding Windows. The most likely, adapting of PTE code for ARM CPU will not be too hard, because we'll do the same job for Apple Silicon now.

Tom,

Yes, Apple Silicon (A12Z CPU) is very fast. It stays cool and quiet even in 3D games like Oceanhorn 2 and when I encoded video in PTE 10. Regrettably I can't publish any measurements according NDA signed for Apple.

I tried to create an Universal Binary format - the same application for Intel and ARM Macs. It simply doubles file size of the installation package. So it's a difficult choice - offer an universal PTE which weights 100 MB, or two installation files for Intel (50 MB) and ARM Macs (50 MB).

• 2 weeks later...

Today I launched almost fully working PTE 10 on Mac with ARM CPU (Apple Silicon). It works great on ARM CPU.

So now we have united code for native Intel and ARM versions of PTE 10 on Mac. It will be one united program (Universal Binary).

If Microsoft release ARM version of Windows 10, we will adapt PTE for Windows on ARM, too.

Hi Igor,

Congratulations on porting your code. I'm guessing you are not allowed to comment on ARM vs. Intel performance in PTE since that would be posting a benchmark? My guess is due to optimized Apple GPU the ARM version will be slightly smoother in transitions/frames per second compared to Intel/AMD. I'm waiting for an ARM Mac Mini like the developer kit except with the A14 instead of A12 CPU.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

Yes, I signed NDA to receive this Mac with ARM CPU for developers. We can't speak about performance and difference.

I can say only that native ARM version of any app will work faster, although old apps for Intel CPU also work very well in emulation.

I attach a screenshot with PTE AV Studio 10, native version with ARM code which is working on my Mac with Apple Silicon (ARM). It works absolutely smooth for any effects and animations:

PTE-on-Mac-with-Apple-Silicon.jpg

Igor,

Thanks for the update. Apple has managed to compete with Intel and AMD on the desktop with the custom ARM chips.  Rosetta 2 performance is a nice alternative. Microsoft will probably respond with more ARM software in the future.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We will start Beta testing of PTE AV Studio 10 Pro for Mac today later. For the first Beta we'll invite only 7-10 members and other members will be invited once Beta 2 and 3 are ready. We want make sure that everything work as expected well.

Please note that first Beta version contains some known problems. And not all features may work correctly in Beta version.

Also creating of executable shows for Mac or Windows will not be available in first several Beta versions. You can create only MP4 video with HD or 4K quality. Fullscreen preview in realtime with all features is available.

• Igor changed the title to Coming Soon. PTE AV Studio for Mac