WnSoft Forums

Text Object

Eddie_AZ

Hi all,

A new user here...a former ProShowProducer 9 user who is now starting to learn PTE. After a bit of a rough start I am now starting to really like the program. Thanks to Igor for his time and help to get started and understanding how PTE works.

One thing I am trying to do is to put some text on a slide for a shorter time than the slide itself is shown. After a little looking around I did figure out how to set the timing for the text object shorter than the slide display time.

However, I cannot figure out how to make the text slowly dissolve or fade out when its time is up...right now it just disappears off the slide abruptly. I don't see anything in the help manual about how to do this. I tried using the same slide twice in a row (one with the text and the other without) but somehow that prevented the slide with the text from showing at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Eddie in Arizona

Eddie.

You’ll need 4 Keyframes to do that. Set your first keyframe opacity to 0%. Set the next keyframe about 1-2s further along the time line at 100%

Your third keyframe needs to be where you want the text to fade out and the opacity remains at 100%. Then the fourth keyframe about 1-2s further along the timeline set to 0% opacity.

Very where these keyframes appear for affect.

Eddie

I was starting to type a similar thing, but Barry is quicker off the mark and has just beaten me to it!!!

(Barry - could this form an idea for videos, aimed at new users,  which are misc and random collections of short sharp snippets of How to Do’s in PT AV Studio, and even Photoshop?)

Regards

wideangle

Thanks for the quick reply Barry!

However I don't quite get how to do what you said...I've never worked with key frames before so I guess I will have to some more trying different things to make the text appear and disappear at the times I want it to. Nothing in the user manual that I can find that says how to do this.

Just a matter of an old guy like me trying to learn new things :D.

I'll try again Sunday evening AZ time when I get home from work - I have an early start for work in the morning so I won't do anymore tonight.

The more I use PTE the more I like it...it does seem to be a powerful program. I just wish the user manual had more detail....or else I am missing something? I never did much with ProShow other than your basic slide shows making them quite similar to a real slide show with a Kodak Carousel projector and a screen showing Kodachrome slides. I even thought of recording the slide projector and then using that noise for a transition but I never did that - that would have been a bit much!

My early PSP shows are of my old Kodachromes scanned and then enhanced with Photoshop and then made into a digital slide show. But I think I can do better now with PTE and some advice from those who are good with PTE.

Thanks again - your help is much appreciated!

Eddie in hot dry Arizona

Thanks Barry! Your video has been a big help to me - I certainly appreciate your time and effort to make it.

I've already learned a lot and I'll be doing some more work with keyframes. Nice to learn something new...

Eddie

Thanks a lot, Barry, for this new tutorial focused on one item in PTE-AV-Studio; It will be a great help for my own presentation to my user's group at the photo club.
Concerning the time that it takes to read a caption or scrolling text, I have been advised to measure the time it takes me to read my own text and then double that time for the reader.  Would you agree that this can be a good starting point?

It sounds as though that might be a bit of overkill to double the time it takes for you to read the text, but I suppose it depends on the quantity. I’ve used scrolling text once, but I did wonder later what possessed me to do that when I could have recorded it myself and used the spoken word.

I have been advised to measure the time it takes me to read my own text and then double that time for the reader.  Would you agree that this can be a good starting point?

jmg, this is good advice and one that we always give. Especially if the text is in an unusual font.

even for just a title we recommend that. The author knows what it says, the audience had to read and digest before you give them any more information.

Jill

Barry: the spoken word is a solution, especially if you can speak at not too fast a pace, which you do so well in your videos.  But I do not like my recorded voice!
Jill: indeed, I tend to be (too) quick when I read a text that I know; it takes longer to decipher somebody else's text and then make some sense of it.

Recording your voice is now much easier than it was when I started. See here. The microphones are not huge in price and are very good direct to USB and the PC

The recordings don’t need much editing. I use Audacity and just edit for noise, reduction, although there isn’t much in the recordings at all. I add  a bit of base, but it depends on the type of room you’re recording in. Even pro microphones can be connected to a PC easily with a small electronic unit, although I’ve not used one of those. 

I agree that a large block of text in an AV is a bit of a turn off 

Well, I’ve been watching a couple of YouTubers over the past 12 months and they are getting some really good results outdoors and they don’t strike me as experts. I do appreciate that Recording live outdoors is a bit more difficult, but isn’t it really down to the quality of the mic.?

I am sure with a different setup you can get better results than you show above, but as always it’s what amount of money are we willing to pay.