WnSoft Forums

Saving/downloading project?

Thorne

Hello to the PTE-AV community,

My name is David.  I previously used Photodex, that is, until finding out the site had shut down (and I lost videos that customers had paid for!).  I tried another platform and it was very difficult to use (actually, torture would be more accurate).  Then, I found PTE-AV!  While I've only started (and have much to learn), this program is truly amazing!
Can someone please answer 2 questions?
- When I download a project and save it to my desktop (a Firefox icon appears) and after opening it, there is nothing but code that is displayed.  Sometimes, a mp4 icon does appear and the video plays flawlessly.  
- I opened up PTE AV earlier today and my project was gone.  Yikes!  Fortunately, it had been downloaded and saved to a file (again, only code was visible after opening it), and after going to the "file" tab, clicking on "open" and locating the project, it was restored (but, without the audio/soundtrack).
1. how can I open & view a video after downloading it to my desktop (so no code is displayed)?
2. How can I make a back up of a project in order to avoid having it disappear after PTE AV has been closed?  I tried using the "create backup in Zip" command, but that did not save the project.
Being a newbie, I'm pretty sure something obvious was overlooked.  So, if any members of this forum could be kind enough to help me resolve this issue, I would appreciate it a great deal.
Thanks,
David

3 hours ago, Thorne said:

- When I download a project and save it to my desktop (a Firefox icon appears) and after opening it, there is nothing but code that is displayed.  Sometimes, a mp4 icon does appear and the video plays flawlessly.  

Please be more specific.  What "projects" are you downloading?  Any projects you create in PTE AV are created on your local machine and there is no need for downloading.  If you are talking about downloading shows that other people have created, that depends on the format in which they are displayed.  If you are downloading YouTube videos, you will need special software to download the .mp4 files.  There are many apps available.  If you are downloading actual shows from Slideshowclub.com, then you unzip the files into a directory of your choosing and run the .exe file (for pc -- not sure what the Mac steps are).

- I opened up PTE AV earlier today and my project was gone.  Yikes!  Fortunately, it had been downloaded and saved to a file (again, only code was visible after opening it), and after going to the "file" tab, clicking on "open" and locating the project, it was restored (but, without the audio/soundtrack).

1. how can I open & view a video after downloading it to my desktop (so no code is displayed)?

Depends, again, on what you are downloading.  Look for Youtube or Vimeo downloaders.  Or in some cases the author provides a direct link to an .mp3 file and you can simply right click the link and do a "Save As".

2. How can I make a back up of a project in order to avoid having it disappear after PTE AV has been closed?  I tried using the "create backup in Zip" command, but that did not save the project.

If you are working on a project, you need to do a "File/Save" before you close PTE AV (although the program is typically smart enough to ask you about closing your current project before you shut it do.  You can also save the entire project as a zip file (File/Create Backup in Zip) or you can save the entire project including music, slides, other items into a new folder by using (File/Template/Create Template from this Show).

Being a newbie, I'm pretty sure something obvious was overlooked.  So, if any members of this forum could be kind enough to help me resolve this issue, I would appreciate it a great deal.
Thanks,
David

David, if none of my responses answer your questions, then please provide more specific details of the problems you are having.  In addition, to what Bill said about viewing Barry Beckham's tutorials, you should also read the Online Help Guide which can be reached by pressing F1 within PTE AV or by clicking the "Online Help" at the very top of this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi David

I have had similar problems in the past and this is my closing down sequence

one left click on File

one left click on Save As

one left click on the storage location, in my case, E drive 

double left click on AV sequences

double left click on the title of the sequence

double left click on PTE ( or EXE if you prefer, but then the sequence cannot be changed)

ensure the correct title is displayed and I always add a version number  ie V1, V2 etc. I give a new V number after every session and delete earlier versions later.

one left click on Save and close PTE

the next time you open PTE on your computer it will open where you left off.

Works for me. hope this helps !