WnSoft Forums

Convert/Trim Freezes with Overwrite

goddi

Greetings,

I found a problem when I try to trim a 'converted' video clip and try to rename it by removing the second 'converted' in filename to overwrite the first converted clip.

More details: I trimmed a video clip and saved as 'filename.converted.mp4'. I then tried to trim that clip. The filename would have been 'filename.converted.converted.mp4'. But I wanted to save it by overwriting the previous file so I edited out the second 'converted' to save it as 'filename.converted.mp4'. But the process freezes. This happened twice.

And I noticed that the file that is created when it freezes is 'filename.converted_.converted.mp4'. (Notice the underscore). The file is only 262 bytes and blank. (version 10.0.13)

Gary

42 minutes ago, goddi said:

And I noticed that the file that is created when it freezes is 'filename.converted_.converted.mp4'. (Notice the underscore). The file is only 262 bytes and blank. (version 10.0.13)

Hi Gary,
I think I can guess about the reasons for the failure during the second pruning, if I understood your actions correctly. You crop the video and leave the new default name (xxxxxxxx.converted.mp4). OK. The second step, the newly trimmed video is trimmed again and the program sets a new name, i.e. one more converted (xxxxx.converted.converted.mp4) is added to the end. But you decide here in the window to fix it in order to overwrite the already cropped source. To which the program, before starting the conversion, asks whether it is necessary to overwrite an existing file. And after confirmation, she first deletes the source, and then realizes that there is nothing to convert. Therefore, an "empty" video file is created.
It seems to me that the name needed to be changed only after re-trimming and converting.

Paul

I have noticed something similar when I completed a show, created an MP4 video then re-named it. I expected to find the re-named MP4 in the pictures folder of the show but couldn't find it, only a blank square with the new name. I used Microsoft's search facility & found the re-named MP4 in an un named folder on my D drive. So I copied it &  added it to the picture folder of the show, strange.:unsure:

22 hours ago, Igor said:

Gary,

You cannot overwrite the same file.

If you open and convert filename.converted.mp4 file, a destination file should use another filename.

Greetings Igor,

I don't understand that you say I can not overwrite a Converted/Trimmed file with the same name. I want to trim a previously Converted/Trimmed clip and keep the same name. Seems like a normal Windows function to overwrite a file.

Why would it give me a useless file with a filename with an 'underscore'? And remove the previously converted/trimmed clip?:

TrimError.jpg.6ac959a00b0ac1a122b6ef02c76203d7.jpg

When I try to do this, I do get the question if I want to overwrite the previous file. So it looks like it will do it, but it does not:

TrimOverwrite.thumb.jpg.e39f1465b00ec8982e2816ce9cc2345f.jpg

Then, I try to close the window of that appears after the failed overwrite, but it will not Close:

TrimNoClose-2.thumb.jpg.4400bb209028ce5e49a0eec444ffc112.jpg

Then I tried to delete these two useless files from the PTE File List, but I can not. Says they are In Use. I removed them in the Task Manager App list. Then try to delete them using Windows Explorer, but, again I can not. Says they are In Use. I closed/reopened PTE, and still not able to delete them.

TrimNoDelete.jpg.0f593645c2c09f3985ca1bccb4f012a4.jpg

There is something not right, I believe.

Gary

=====================================

TrimNoClose-1.jpg

Greetings,

Your 'converted.converted' file is only35.6Kb, so that is the 'empty' file, similar to what happens to me. And your original 'trimmed/converted' file disappears. I don't receive the 'Video not found'. It seems to me to be a problem that you can not trim/convert an already trimmed file (.converted.mp4) and rename the '.converted.converted' back to just '.converted'. Seems you have to accept the 'converted.converted' filename and then have to delete the  original 'converted' file and then rename the 'converted.converted' file back to 'converted' in a separate step. Does not make sense that you can not just trim/convert a previously converted file and overwrite the filename since it asks you if you want to overwrite it. And why does it put in an underscore in the file name???

Not sure why I have the problem with closing the windows after I try to overwrite the file. I have to re-boot to clear them out.

Gary