WnSoft Forums

Previously saved Shows in Pictures to EXE not playing in Mac Big Sur

DaveCo

Hi, 

I am new here, so if this is not the right place for this please let me know.

I have had Pictures to EXE for a few years. Shows that I saved there, both for Windows and to play on Mac PC, both worked well.

Since I have upgraded to Big Sur and also (at the same time) to PTE AV Studio 10, any saved shows for a Mac, will now not play. I get a popup saying, There is not a programme on this computer able to play this file.

Please could you help with this?

Many thanks

Dave

Dave,

Since Catalina (10.15) and including Big Sur (11.0) macOS doesn't support 32-bit applications anymore. Executable shows for Mac created in old version of PicturesToExe were 32-bit apps and will not play in Catalina or Big Sur. I'm sorry about this problem!

If you have original project files, open each project in PTE and create a MP4 video. We recommend to create a MP4 video for Mac with HD or 4K quality. Regrettably we can't predict all changes in future macOS versions and MP4 format would be the best option with wide compatibility.

Right now we're finishing the Mac version of PTE AV Studio 10 which is a 64-bit app for Intel Macs and Macs with M1 chip. We're still working on executable shows for Mac in this new version.

I know nothing about Macintosh's Big Sur, but I got this today from the Tim Grey eNewsletter.

Gary

=======================

Today's Question

Do you feel it is safe to upgrade to the latest Macintosh “Big Sur” operating system? Do the Adobe applications work with this new version?

Tim's Quick Answer:

I do not recommend upgrading to the new “Big Sur” version of the Macintosh operating system, at least until there is an updated bug fix for the current version. However, the key Adobe applications are compatible with this new operating system version.

More Detail:

The “Big Sur” version of the Macintosh operating system represents a rather significant update, but it is also an update that has been reported to have quite a few stability and compatibility issues.

One of the major updates in this new version of the operating system is support for Apple’s new M1 chip. Some of the newest computers from Apple make use of this processor rather than the Intel processors that had been in use for prior computer models. This introduces some additional compatibility issues for applications. Adobe has indicated, for example, that their applications will not natively support the M1 chip until 2021.

The issue of the M1 chip is only a factor if you buy one of the new computers with this chip. However, the Big Sur update also creates some concerns about stability and compatibility.

I highly recommend waiting at least until there is a bug fix release for the Big Sur operating system before upgrading. I also recommend confirming compatibility for the software and devices you will be using to ensure you won’t run into any issues there.

In short, I suggest not being in any particular rush to upgrade, so you can avoid the frustration of stability and compatibility issues.

Hi Igor,

Thank you for getting back to me about this. I thought this could be the problem, but didn't know if there was a fix for it or not. 

I cannot wait for the Mac version of PTE AV Studio to come out. The work arounds that have to be done when you are using a Mac are many. However, the efforts are well worth it to be able to have the PTE AV Studio programme.

The PC that I used for Pictures to exe, is now so old, it needs putting down.

Gary,

Thank you for your reply, however, it is a bit like locking the stable door when the horse has bolted. I had already said that I had upgraded to Mac Big Sur.

Thanks again to both

Dave