WnSoft Forums

How to Trim a Video

Tejano Bob

I have several questions about this topic. First is where to find the instructions in the User Guide. I've made several searches and can't find them. I have loaded a video, and I have found "Trim Video Beginning" in the options list. I clicked on the option, and nothing seems to change. I can view all the frames in the video, but cannot find how to trim the video. I was looking for a scissors icon, but could find none. My other question is, "What if I want to trim the video to a piece in the middle?"

I think I was able to trim a video. It seems simpler than in ProShow, but a lot slower. But I don't know how to save it. I see a "Play" bu tton and a "Close" button. The "Play" button does nothing (didn't work when converting a presentation to video either). It looks like extra files appeared in the File List, but I can't identify which is the trimmed video. My question, where is the trimmed video saved?

52 minutes ago, Tejano Bob said:

I think I was able to trim a video. It seems simpler than in ProShow, but a lot slower. But I don't know how to save it. I see a "Play" bu tton and a "Close" button. The "Play" button does nothing (didn't work when converting a presentation to video either). It looks like extra files appeared in the File List, but I can't identify which is the trimmed video. My question, where is the trimmed video saved?

Same Folder as the original. Note the file name before you click OK.

DG

you can just trim the video in the Timeline & you don't need to save it.

Put the play bar where you want the video to start.
Right click & select Trim beginning of video

Move the following slide up to where you want the video to end.

Job done - very quick

Jill

OK, I think the problem is resolved. After several tries, I was able to end up with a trimmed video . . . I think. First of all, I wasn't sure where the trimmed video would end up. I overlooked the name and location that was shown in the lower left corner. When I realized where the converted video was being saved, I tried running it. It eould run, but looked like it had just saved the full video. I'm not sure why. A couple of other times, I just got a screen that said the video couldn't be found. The last time it looked like it had trimmed the beginning but had not trimmed the finish. But what I discovered, as the converted video finished, the finish was trimmed exactly as I had designated it. In between WAS the entire video. The original video must have been recorded twice. I haven't checked it out yet, but that had to be the reason. Thanks to all for your patience. JKB: I still have to try your method. Looks interesting, and may answer a question I had about trimming just the beginning.

JKB: I finally got around to trying your method. It works good for trimming the beginning of the video, and I can move the slide up to where I want the video to end in the viewing screen But how do I set that point to trim the end?

You don't need to, unless the video is a very large file & you want to reduce the final exe file size.
If making an MP4 then it will only contain the portion you are using.

You can also drag the same video multiple times into the Timeline and trim it for each part that you want to use.

You can go into Objects & Animation & select Adjust Time range in the Properties tab.

Then just move the start & end pointers to where you want the video to start & end.

If you physically want to trim the video & Create a new file then right click the video in the File List before adding it to the Timeline & set the Trim points (the same as in O&A)

Make a note of where the file will be saved & click OK
It will normally be saved in the same folder as the orignal, with the same name with .converted at the end.

I just find it so much easier to trim in the Timeline, you can always fine tune it then if you don't quite get it right first time.

Jill

• 1 month later...

What a backwards way of doing things. You can easily trim the beginning of a video from the time line. But to trim the end, you have to go to the source video and trim it there. Then you have to wait while a new video is created. No kudos for pre for THIS one.

I gave you 3 different ways to trim a video depending on what you want.

The quickest & easiest is in the Timeline

As I said above, you don't need to trim the end - just move the following slide to the point you want the video to end.

Very quick & easy.

Jill

• 2 weeks later...

"Just move the slide to where you want the video to end" doesn't end the video. It simple sets the start point for when you press play. There seems to be some complex ways to accomplish something that turns out to be quite simple (except that the User's Guide seems to lack a simple explanation). I had wondered why trimming the end of a video couldn't be as simple as trimming the end of a sound track. Just grab the end of the video and slide it back to where you want the video to end. Well, It CAN. I tried it once, and it didn't work. Apparently the video was too long, and I ran out of range. I could shorten the video, but no as much as I wanted. For shorter videos it works great.

As for deleting a section in the middle. the suggestion that somebody made works well. Just trim the source video twice, trimming the beginning of one, and the end of the other. Then combine the two.

Thanks to all who tried to help me and weren't getting through to me. I went back and reread all the suggestions, and they helped.

1 hour ago, Tejano Bob said:

Just move the slide to where you want the video to end"

This is the slide following the video.

In Timeline view the length (duration) of a Slide is determined by where the following slide starts

If your video is say 30 secs long & you only want the first 10 secs, then position the following slide (or video) at 10secs - Simple

Jill