WnSoft Forums

Apple Mac with M1 chip, anyone bought one yet?

Hi folks,

I see Igor's new beta 12 will work with the M1 chip, or Apple Silicon. Has anyone bought one yet? I might give my granddaughter my MacBookPro and get a new one.

(The excuse is my granddaughter really needs a laptop, not that I want a new toy, of course!)

I have ordered the 16 GB M1 Mac mini but does not ship until mid December. Also ordered a budget LG 32 inch 4K monitor. All the YT reviews I have watched so far using the M1 to edit multimedia have been very positive. My main concern on the monitor is getting the text sharp at 4K.

I find it a little strange that most of the reviewers are amazed how fast timeline scrubbing is on their M1 Mac video editors. It's normal behavior for PTE to rapidly scrub the timeline or full screen preview without waiting to generate a proxy file or background rendering. I think PTE will be very fast on the Apple M1.

Tom

Yes, Beta 12 is already compatible with new Macs on Apple M1 chip. This Beta includes Intel code which works with Rosetta 2 emulation on M1 chip.

Future Beta 13 or Beta 14 will be fully optimized for Apple M1 chip and will be Universal App (code for Intel and M1).

We very need your help with testing.

I notice Apple has recently changed their cut to 15% in the Apple Store for developers with sales below 1 million dollars. Not sure how much of a delay it takes to get tested and approved but maybe some day we will see WnSoft PTE AV Studio in the Apple Store.

Tom

Tom,

Currently we pay 6%. Compare with 15% or 30% in AppStore.

Another problem of AppStore - all apps should work in a sandbox. It's a very complicated system of file rights to give app an permission read/write any user file. I realized that we will implement/test it several months. If a project links images/audio from different folders, macOS will ask user's permission for every folder.

And finally, PTE in AppStore means that you have to buy again PTE, instead of using the Pro license together with Windows version.

So we decided to release the first Mac version outside App Store.

I think the Apple store is good for advertising of software to a wider audience but I didn't think about folder security. I hope the Gatekeeper problem does not happen again. Do the binary slideshows have to check in with Apple Gatekeeper/OCSP before running or just the PTE installation with code signing check?

Thanks,
Tom

macOS checks ALL apps with Gatekeeper before run it.

When we build a new DMG installation file with PTE, we send it to Apple for checking. In fact, it's antivirus from Apple. If Apple approves it, we receive a signed DMG file and then we can distrubute it for end-users.

In other words, security checking is the same as for apps in App Store.

Apple can block any app for all users at any time.