WnSoft Forums

PTE AV Studio is optimized for new Macs with Apple M1

Hi,

We optimized PTE AV Studio 10 Pro (Beta) for new Macs with Apple M1 chip. Now PTE works with the best performance on Apple M1 chip:

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/PTE-AV-Studio-Universal.dmg

It's an Universal Application which includes two versions - for Apple M1 and Intel. By default, you automatically run a native version for your Mac (M1 or Intel).

Also on Mac with M1 you can use Rosetta emulator to run Intel version to compare performance.

Hi Igor,

The new version works great on my M1 mini. Apple silicon video encoding is 3.5 times faster than Rosetta (Intel) mode. Smooth playing slideshow on my 32" 4K LG primary monitor. No crashes.

Thanks for all your hard work on the Mac version.

Tom

Nice progress.

I installed it this morning and it initialized fine this time.  A reminder (to all) to make sure you UnTick [x] Rosetta in Finder's Get Info .... mine was left checked from the previous beta testing so I had to un-check it to make sure I was running the native code.

I had done a small project yesterday in 4K - about 13 mins of 24fps.  This was 13 images, with a faux-frame slide style applied - each image about 1 minute with a 4 second cross fade - Christmas Kids display for the big TV to run on a loop.

Yesterday it took a full hour to render (on the M1) !  Today that was 11.5 minutes - so 5.2 times faster.  The rendered output file was essentially the same size in MB.  Your mileage may vary as these stills were held for a long time before x-fading.

Question to Igor - is this now rendered with the hardware assisted codecs?  Or is this massive speed improvement merely the result of the native code compared to Rosetta. My output was 4K 3840x2160, High Quality, 24p, disabled both P&S and Motion Blue.

Thanks for the work on this ... exciting to use it.

Tom,
Jim,

Many thanks for your quick responses and first impressions on PTE for Apple M1 chip! I'm very glad.

Currently we use only CPU for video encoding in Mac version. It guarantees the same quality as on Intel Macs or Windows version. Native version optimized for Apple M1 chip works much faster than Intel code in Rosetta emulation. Usually Rosetta provides excellent speed, but video encoding is a very heavy task for Rosetta when we use all power of all 8 cores in a CPU. Of course, native M1 version of PTE works much faster. I'll check if we can utilize hardware video encoder in M1 chip for "Quality" mode in PTE.

My new Macbook Air with M1 chip renders and encodes MP4 video to 1080p on 40% faster than my new desktop computer with AMD Ryzen 5 3500X (6 cores, 3.6 GHz, TDP 65 W) with Geforce 1060. It's especially curious taking into attention that Air M1 is fanless and stays hardly warm during video encoding. Both computers used only CPU for video encoding (without hardware accelerated encoders). M1 is insanely fast CPU.

My Mac Mini M1 16 GB is also faster than my Ryzen 7 2700X 8 core, 16GB, 860 SSD, GeForce 1660 6 GB Super for CPU encoding, unless motion blur is enabled.

Tom

Sample Project 1080 60p Hardware Disabled, Medium Quality, Motion Blur Disabled. Also both systems have animated wallpaper running on second monitor.

Ryzen 2:16, 68.52 FPS, 85 deg. C. (Normal 47 deg. C), Fans continuous
M1 2:08, 72.03 FPS, 46 deg. C. (Normal 24 deg. C), Could not hear a fan

If I enable Normal Motion Blur then my Ryzen is faster. Temperatures lower on both chips.
Ryzen 6:37, 23.61 FPS
M1 8:50, 17.64 FPS

Tom,

Interesting results, thanks. 

Ryzen 7 2700X with 8-cores has max power consuption - 105W. GeForce 1660 - 120W

M1 Mac mini has maxium consumption 25-30W in total.

Motion Blur more intensively uses GPU. Of course, GeForce 1660 is faster than GPU in M1.

But Mac mini with 25-30W is comparable with a desktop PC which consumes up to 250-300W.