WnSoft Forums

MS Excel gets stuck [SOLVED]

Loikkanen

I also use MS Excel. I have made quite a few Visual Basic Modules (macros). If I have used and made changes to my PTE slideshow and DO NOT CLOSE PTE, my excel modules get stuck. I have to kill Excel from Task Manager. This does not happen if I close PTE.

I suspect that PTE reserves some libraries so that other applications cannot use them. This does not happen if I use Excel (and don’t close it) and after that use PTE. 

The libraries used in my MS Excel are listed here. PTE version: PicturesToExe Deluxe 9.0.22

temp2.png

• Loikkanen changed the title to MS Excel gets stuck

What version of Windows you have?

I never heard about a similar problem with PTE before.

PTE 9 loads only basic system libraries which are required for any app. PTE and Excel should work independently.

Try the following. Start a new project in PTE and close the program. Run PTE again (which appears with a blank project). Check MS Excel app.

A conflict is possible if you open the same file in PTE (image/video/audio file linked in a project) and in MS Excel. 

Win 10 Home, v. 1909, build 18363.1316

I have never opened the same file in PTE and Excel. Never.

Some Excel modules work ok, but one of the major modules causes the stuck. I tried it just now. This module reads data from Internet html-pages. And there is lot of copying and pasting data from clipboard. Some code is attached below.

For some reason PTE displays 'not responding' when running Excel. PTE is open but there shouldnt be anything running there (as far as I know). But there is, because 'not responding' -message is displayed in Task Manager with PTE. 

Strange.

temp4.png

temp1.txt

Maybe this problem is related with large volumes of data frequently copied via Clipboard in Excel modules? PTE checks Clipboard to see if copied data contains slides or objects for the editor to highlight the Paste button in the top toolbar and in the main menu.

Normally this problem shouldn't occur, it's a bit strange that Excel modules use Clipboard so intensively instead of direct copying the data or via files.

We'll try to reproduce this situation (after the release of Mac version soon)

Check also memory usage and GPU usage (not CPU) by Excel and PTE. See here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/351073/how-to-monitor-gpu-usage-in-the-windows-task-manager/

The modules in Excel are written by me. In this case it was the only alternative to use clipboard (long story...). 

When PTE is open but not used (for several minutes) why there is any activity in PTE? It is definitely PTE causing the problem because if I close PTE, Excel runs ok.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 9:30 PM, Philip Smithies said:

Exactly the same problem. When PTE is open, Excel cannot cope properly with copying from the clipboard and brings up an Error message. Close PTE and Excel works fine.

Hi Philip,

Does this problem occur with a certain large Excel table, or with any table, even very simple?

I have old version Excel 2013 on another old PC, and I tried to open a large table with 10 columns and 6500 rows. PTE 10.0.14 was opened in background.

I couldn't see any problems with PTE or Excel. Copying of large columns (and all sheet) from/to Clipboard worked fine in Excel. No delays or errors.

We need to reproduce this issue to find a solution.

• Igor changed the title to MS Excel gets stuck [SOLVED]