WnSoft Forums

Ken Burns effect

canico

Hi,

I don't use themes very often. I think you just select the number of slides required (8 or more) for KB effect.  Then select Styles and Themes, select Themes Tab, select Ken Burns Effect, select Apply.

https://docs.pteavstudio.com/en-us/10.0/themes/main?s[]=themes

Tom

Hi Canico

Start a new project and add your slides (8 or more). It is easier to work in the Slides view rather than the Timeline view.

Now make sure that all of those slides are highlighted in the Slides view (Click on the first one then Shift Click on the last one).

Now just follow what Tom has suggested. The Ken Burns Effect will then be applied to all of those slides which were highlighted.

Regards

wideangle

To apply the effect to non-continuous slides in the slide view, click on the first one and Cmd click (Mac) or Ctrl click (Windows) on each of the slides you want to carry the effect.

Rather than offering yet another explanation, I suggest you take the time to view this video.  Also, for the Ken Burns theme, I have discovered that you DO NOT need 8 slides.  It will work with any number.  In addition, you can also chose a single slide, or multiple slides (not necessarily contiguous even) and go to "Styles and Themes", click the "Styles" button, choose "Basic" and then use any of Zoom In, Zoom Out, Pan Left, Pan Right, Pan Up, Pan Down (which is essentially what the Ken Burns effect is) and have even more control over which slides have which motion.  The "Theme" is just a quick way to give motion to a large number of slides quickly.  Anyway, look at the video linked below.

The point about adding 8 slides is just to be able to see the different effects contained in the theme, but yes, you don't need 8 slides to apply the theme.

You need to know about an issue which you may not be aware of, relating to the suggestions from macian and mhwarner when applying the theme to non-contiguous slides.

When you do this, the effect will be applied to the slides you have chosen, as you would expect, but the positions of those slides will change, and become contiguous.
This behaviour occurs when you apply any style to non-contiguous slides. It is not just themes where it happens.

It is a non-expected side-effect which has been flagged up in the past, and has previously been acknowledged by Igor for future consideration.

Regards

wideangle

2 hours ago, wideangle said:

When you do this, the effect will be applied to the slides you have chosen, as you would expect, but the positions of those slides will change, and become contiguous.
This behaviour occurs when you apply any style to non-contiguous slides. It is not just themes where it happens.

It is a non-expected side-effect which has been flagged up in the past, and has previously been acknowledged by Igor for future consideration.

Thanks for pointing this out wideangle!  I did not realize this.  Probably because I don't usually apply styles or themes to noncontiguous slides.

It’s an issue with styles that many people won’t be aware of, and one which needs resolving. It quickly messes up projects where slides are being synced to music, for example.

Another issue with styles which many newcomers won’t be aware of is if you apply one style to a slide and then go on to apply a second style on top of it, the effect of the first style is removed. Again, this issue has been acknowledged for future consideration by Igor. 

Regards

wideangle

50 minutes ago, wideangle said:

Another issue with styles which many newcomers won’t be aware of is if you apply one style to a slide and then go on to apply a second style on top of it, the effect of the first style is removed. Again, this issue has been acknowledged for future consideration by Igor. 

Regards

wideangle

Not being able to apply more then one style to a slide is a serious shortcoming IMHO. 

It was the first caveat I encountered when I switched from Proshow Producer to pte av studio pro.

Work on the shelf for Igor.

The shortcomings of Styles listed above are "old news" and I believe that if it were an easy job for Igor it would have been done by now. I was one of the first to ask for "Additive Styles" and I am still hopeful for this feature in Version 11.

In the meantime, I just make Styles which combine all of the features I want - combinations of features - and keep them for future use.

If you are unfamiliar with the procedures of creating or combining Styles, just ask. There are people here who can help - myself included.

DG

Thanks to everyone who has replied, plenty of things I did not know.

I have watched Barry Beckham's video  and am curious that my version of Studio 10 does not look like that. How do you get three columns of slides and a long list other images to select from ? 

39 minutes ago, Paul L said:

Well that's exactly what I've been doing since, make my own styles that combined features I often use.

That was the original intention for Styles. It is only when you rely on other people's Styles that you run into difficulties.

Here are a couple of (Very Simple) Styles which I have created recently. Apply to more than one slide to see the whole effect. Text can be modified during the application of the Style or in O&A afterwards. The Text element was added very easily to the original Burns etc Style. The Intended use is for 3x2 images in a 16x9 Project.

There are at least seven elements to the "Burns etc with Text" Style each of which could be an individual Style and the Transition is Multi Variant.

Burns etc.ptestyle

Burns etc with Text.ptestyle

DG

I am also confused with the inter-relationship between Styles and Themes (as I probably also posted elsewhere).  I have a practice group of 8 slides just because the Ken Burns Effect Theme likes there to be 8 slides.  On the Themes screen next to Ken Burns Effect it indicates that there are 8 styles but I haven't figured out a way to examine what each of those 8 styles is (other than watching the preview).  I was thinking that I should be able to somehow see the Settings of each one of the 8 Styles but cannot figure out how.

Also, is there a way of tweaking one or two of the 8 slides in the Theme or is it that once you assign the Theme to the 8 slides then none of them becomes individually tweakable.  What I mean is that suppose I want more Zoom on one of the 8 slides or more Pan, is there a way to edit that individual slide in the group of 8 or not.

Does what I am asking make sense?

Click on a slide in the Slide List.

Click on the Objects and Animation Button.

In the Objects Panel click on the Object that you want to edit.

The Object will have two or more Key Frames.

Click on each  Key Frame in turn and edit the Zoom or Pan by the Zoom, Pan and/or Framing controls. 

DG

Yes I keep going to the online help and kind of get weary searching for exactly what I am trying to find.  I guess this is the problem with extremely powerful apps where there are so many things going on that are available all at the same time.  It would be nice to have 2 modes of starting the program--basic/quick start and advanced.  I hate to sound like a broken record but that was much of the "charm" with MOTV.  The things you could do were pretty powerful, especially with the multi-picture slides and various effects, but things were arranged in a very intuitive friendly way.

Hi SeismicGuy

I get what you are saying, but with unfamiliar software, even intuitive programs are not so intuitive until you start to find your way around them. The more you do that, the more intuitive they become!

To really get into this software, and see what it can do, and how to do it, I would certainly recommend spending half an hour here and there to watch some of the free Barry Beckham videos, which you can find under:

Tutorials and Video Lessons->PT AV Studio-Tutorials

Regards

wideangle

On 1/29/2021 at 1:20 AM, davegee said:

Click on a slide in the Slide List.

Click on the Objects and Animation Button.

In the Objects Panel click on the Object that you want to edit.

The Object will have two or more Key Frames.

Click on each  Key Frame in turn and edit the Zoom or Pan by the Zoom, Pan and/or Framing controls. 

DG

By the way, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for and is analogous to what I was doing after randomizing a bunch of slides with Ken Burns Effect in MOTV.  After randomizing I would then step through slide by slide and tweak anything I was unhappy with.  The Objects and Animation on PTE lets you do basically the same thing and you can also step through slide by slide.