WnSoft Forums

Styles Organization

goddi

Greetings,

I now have 3 'Carousel' Styles (Carousel 9, Carousel 8 and Carousel2).

I just downloaded DaveGee's Carousel 8. It did not go to his folder but went automatically to the 'Temporary' folder. DaveGee's folder already had the 'Carousel2'.

I also have a 'Carousel 9' in the 'User styles' but its author indicates it is DaveGee. Not sure why it was placed in the 'Users styles'. So I will move it to join the others in DaveGee's folder.

So my suggestion is to be able to have more control over where the Styles go and how to find them. When a Style is imported, it goes wherever it goes. And finding it is a hunting job.

When a Style is imported, it would be helpful if a dropdown list of the folders you already have appeared and you can accept the predesignated folder or change it to one of your choice.

Also it would be nice to be able to do a Search of the Style names to help find what you are looking for.

And, it would be helpful to be able to copy/paste a Style into a folder if you want to keep special styles (duplicates) together that you use more often.

I know there are probably workarounds for some of these suggestions.

Gary

In this case it goes where I told it to go. By placing it in a "Temporary" folder it gives the user the opportunity to move it to wherever is appropriate. There is plenty of scope at the creation stage to place wherever the author wants and also to add instructions for the use of the Style.

Taking nothing away from your suggestion but you seem not to understand the why's and wherefore's of Creation of Styles.

DG

Why would I expect your Style to go to a Temporary folder when you are the author? Why not warn me first where it is going so I know where to look? I understand a bit about Styles but I think it the functions within the Styles can be improved.

Gary

My Logic is that all Styles could go into a "Temporary" folder because, using this one as an example, you might want to move it to a folder full of "Carousels" rather than categorise by Author's name. I agree that it can be difficult to find Styles after importing. I have been using Temporary for some time now.

DG

Davegee,

I understand your logic, but others aren't following it. Such as Stranger's Styles have gone automatically to his folder, as others have. It would just  be nice if there was a notice where they are going before they automatically go into a folder that you really don't know where it went and then you have to search for it, folder by folder. And, I'd like to put my favorite Styles into a 'Favourites' folder but I don't think you can easily duplicate a Styles (copy/paste) into another folder.

Gary

I probably shouldn't even be piping in here since I am still struggling to learn the various ins and outs of the program along with the specialized lingo. But I think styles (whether pre-packaged with the program or downloaded from some external source) should be able to be easily sorted into folders by categories.  For example one category/folder could be tiling of several images on a single slide, another can be carousel effect of several images on a single slide, another could be cardspread of several images on a single slide, etc.  The user should be able to pre-define the generic categories/folders and then whenever the user created a specific style or downloaded a style created by someone else, it would be entirely up to the user to direct under what category that style should go.  I assume(?) this is doable after the fact but seems much more logical to have this option from the get-go.

Until recently, I had a complete mess of style categories. But, it should be noted, in PTE you can organize all the styles, as they say, according to your taste and color. Which I recently did on my computer. We still need to put things in order with transitions, but with them, unfortunately, there are even fewer convenient features. In any case, developers need to pay more attention to this issue.

Paul

2021-02-11_200251.jpg

More questions about the above screen.  I was hoping you could right-click in the first column and create a category but looks like not.  But I guess you can rename a category.  Then I was wondering if you could move styles within a category to another category but no again.  Then I went searching around the hard disk to see where physically styles and themes might be stored so I could move them around outside of the program.  I did find some promising looking Slide Styles subfolder deep inside the Program Files folder but gave up there.  So I would vote for some better flexibility in categorizing, naming, and moving styles in some way.

6 hours ago, SeismicGuy said:

More questions about the above screen.  I was hoping you could right-click in the first column and create a category but looks like not.  But I guess you can rename a category.  Then I was wondering if you could move styles within a category to another category but no again.  Then I went searching around the hard disk to see where physically styles and themes might be stored so I could move them around outside of the program.  I did find some promising looking Slide Styles subfolder deep inside the Program Files folder but gave up there.  So I would vote for some better flexibility in categorizing, naming, and moving styles in some way.

When you create a Style you can choose or create a Category.

You can Change Directory for an IMPORTED Style. When you do so you can choose or create the Category.

You cannot move a built-in Style.

https://docs.pteavstudio.com/en-us/10.0/slide-styles/main#changemovecreate_categories

DG

12 hours ago, SeismicGuy said:

I was hoping you could right-click in the first column and create a category but looks like not.  But I guess you can rename a category.

A new category cannot be created initially empty. Import any style and you will be able to create a new category corresponding to that style.

13 hours ago, SeismicGuy said:

Then I was wondering if you could move styles within a category to another category but no again.

This is not the case ... you can choose a style, assign it any category from the existing ones, or create a new one. Styles are easily transferred to other categories directly.

Paul

My understanding was that when you imported a style from an external source, the style was automatically placed in a category of the originator's choosing but maybe I am getting this wrong.  For example I downloaded the carousel styles in the previous posts and imported them into PTE and they ended up in a category called User styles (actually it was not clear to me where these were going to be put).  It would be nice to predefine categories and then decide into which category a style should be placed (either a user created style or externally imported styles).  Moving styles from one category to another would also be nice (e.g., the carousel styles that are now in my User styles category would preferably be moved to a category named "circular animated images" or whatever else I might choose).  So are these things currently NOT doable.?

1 hour ago, SeismicGuy said:

It would be nice to predefine categories and then decide into which category a style should be placed (either a user created style or externally imported styles).

This is a dead end for the simple reason that PTE does not work exclusively with presets. Each user can create or change a category to their liking. And in this matter, any framework and restrictions are not male.

1 hour ago, SeismicGuy said:

For example I downloaded the carousel styles in the previous posts and imported them into PTE and they ended up in a category called User styles

You just need to sort the categories once (see my picture above, give the categories your original names, I still have the underscore at the beginning), and in the future there will be no problems finding imported styles. You will see them immediately, because each new style will create its own category, you just need to define the imported style in the desired (for you) already existing category. And get rid of the standard categories in which, for the most part, styles from other users can be added. Otherwise, you will eventually have a dense forest there.

Paul

3 hours ago, davegee said:

Right click on the IMPORTED Style that you want to Move.

Choose Change Directory.

Type in the Name of the Existing Directory that you want to move to or New Directory that you want to Create.

Click OK.

DG

Excellent--that worked, thanks.  Only thing that would have been a bit easier is if at the Change Category box if there was a dropdown box that let you select an existing category to move through instead of having to type in the name again.  But in the meantime it is nice to know that what I was asking could be done.