WnSoft Forums

Creating a menu with Mac beta 24

Hi Igor

I've tried to set up a simple menu to run three kinds of files:

1.    Show for Mac (ptshow)

2.    Executable file for PC (exe)

3.   HD and 4K Video file (mp4)

The menu runs and works fine for ptshow and exe files (using the Run Slideshow with Return option).

During making of the menu, I try to use Run Application or Open File option to run the mp4 video, but when I go to where the files are stored, all files are greyed out.

For menus it would be good if we could run the mp4s.

Excellent work in a short space of time, though, well done.

Eric

I agree. The PTE AV Player is probably the best video player available today. If it could open multimedia files (avi/mp4/mp3/..) it would be icing on the cake. If free, I think it would be a popular download and expose PTE AV Studio to a much greater number of users.

I have never made a menu before. Once I had worked out I need to use Run Slideshow and return, I was flying.

I have everything in one folder, all 14 ptshows.  Is there a way I can send everything to a friend? I did a back to zip, but it only included the travel.pte file, the one image and the music. None of the ptshows. I suppose I could zip up all the ptshows , with instructions to copy them to the travel folder? But would the file attributes be right?

Any advice is most welcome. To the support the Iceland show I have a number of silly videos in .mov format, that would be suitable to include on a separate menu.   I'm not sure how to do that. Update, tried runinng a separate video app from the menu, didn't work.

Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 17.53.07.jpg

The open slideshow and return link is "/Volumes/PTE AV Studio/Travel Photography/travel.ptshow"

If I change it to "/Travel Photography/travel.ptshow"

The menu still works. I assume that if create back up as zip for the menu system and then zip up the ptshow files, it should work on a different drive and therefore a different computer? Update, it works on the different drive, should work on a different computer. Sending it to friend.

Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 21.08.25.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 21.08.51.jpg

Mark, if it works in the same way as the Windows version then for Run Slideshow the menu & all shows must be made with exactly the same version of PTE. ie if your Menu is made with Mac beta24 then all of your shows will have to be,

I never use Run Slideshow as for a competition or running an evening's programme I can get shows made with many different versions.

I always use Run Application or Open File but I see from Eric's comments above that doesn't work yet on Mac.

Again with Windows you only need the actual show name in double quotes  eg "show1.ptshow" as long as all shows & the menu are in the same folder.

That way they will work on any computer.

All I ever seem to make these days are Menus, so I am quite 'expert' at them :rolleyes:

Jill

Hopefully, the dot ptshow approach will become available to both Mac and Windows. That the PTE AV Player for Mac will have similar PTE AV Player for Windows.
It would be great to send a number of shows in a package, a menu, that would work with both Windows and Mac.  I do not know if this is, or every will be possible.
I can only hope.

if we are able to use .ptshow files with windows then I don't see why not.
The .pte file can be read by Windows & Mac so even if they don't work straight off it would be just a case of Publishing the Menu again on the other system

I have sent & recevied Windows Menu exe files to/from others & they work as long as the path is not included (and all the shows have the same name on both computers)

Next Beta for Mac will allow use Open Document command in .ptshow presentations.

The menu show will able open PDF, Word, text documents, images, videos and even other .ptshows presentations associated with PTE AV Player.

Jill, the menu and all shows were created with beta 24. I welcome a chat on Friday.

Thank you, Igor. I sent my files to a friend who was able to run the menu and the shows. But the old problem of fonts made everything look weird, as my lovely fonts ;) were replaced with Ariel.  

After a show finishes and it returns to the menu, there is a brief flash of the first slide. 

33 minutes ago, Almark said:

Thank you, Igor. I sent my files to a friend who was able to run the menu and the shows. But the old problem of fonts made everything look weird, as my lovely fonts ;) were replaced with Ariel.  

Mark,

PTE should automatically convert text captions with unique fonts to vector curves and include to .ptshow (.exe). Then the show should display original font on any PC or Mac.

I just created a test show with a unique font and then produced .ptshow and .exe - both files were copied to another Mac and another PC without this font. Text caption looked correctly (not Arial).

Can you create a simple show (.ptshow) and send me? Use a blank slide (no images) and attach to your reply I'll check it on my Mac.

Hi Igor, this is what it looked like on my friends computer. It needed to have Spiffy McGee and Goatskin Brush fonts to make it appear as intended. See screenshot above.  These are not text captions, they are 'buttons'.  Problem sorted by sending the fonts.

Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 10.32.27.png

8 hours ago, Igor said:

Next Beta for Mac will allow use Open Document command in .ptshow presentations.

The menu show will able open PDF, Word, text documents, images, videos and even other .ptshows presentations associated with PTE AV Player.

That sounds interesting.
What happens when a presentation opens media it can natively play (like mp4)? Will it open the data or will it open the player associated with the data (quicktime/mp4)?
Also if a presentation opens a .ptshow file will it run a new copy of PTE AV Player?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

28 minutes ago, tom95521 said:

will it open the player associated with the data (quicktime/mp4)?
Also if a presentation opens a .ptshow file will it run a new copy of PTE AV Player?

Yes and yes.

1 hour ago, Almark said:

Hi Igor, this is what it looked like on my friends computer. It needed to have Spiffy McGee and Goatskin Brush fonts to make it appear as intended. See screenshot above.  These are not text captions, they are 'buttons'.  Problem sorted by sending the fonts.

Mark,

Do you send source .pte project with files, or .ptshow presentation for PTE AV Player?

I just checked for buttons - their captions also save unique fonts in .ptshow presentations.

On 2/15/2021 at 9:58 AM, Almark said:

I have never made a menu before. Once I had worked out I need to use Run Slideshow and return, I was flying.

I have everything in one folder, all 14 ptshows.  Is there a way I can send everything to a friend? I did a back to zip, but it only included the travel.pte file, the one image and the music. None of the ptshows. I suppose I could zip up all the ptshows , with instructions to copy them to the travel folder? But would the file attributes be right?

Any advice is most welcome. To the support the Iceland show I have a number of silly videos in .mov format, that would be suitable to include on a separate menu.   I'm not sure how to do that. Update, tried runinng a separate video app from the menu, didn't work.

If you want to combine multiple slideshows into one then you might try my method. Currently on Windows it is limited to 4 GB in size, but maybe in the future if .ptshow data format can be created outside 32 bit zip container then it will support > 4 GB.

Thanks,
Tom

Slideshows.ptshow

32 minutes ago, macian said:

Thanks Dave, I’ll give it a try.

I assume that your reference to “Preview” means the one in PTE AV Studio, not Mac “Preview.”

Ian

That is correct.

DG