WnSoft Forums

Automatic video trimmer for .pteav data output

Verison 10.n has amazing video playback quality without requiring video optimization (converter). After a video is inserted into the slide list the O&A Adjust Time Range can be used to set in and out points (trim). Even if you are using just a small part of a large video file the complete video file is included in the .pteav data file.

Maybe it would be possible to have an automatic trimmer that reads the Adjust Time Range in and out points and do a lossless cut at the nearest keyframe before and after the trim time. It would help reduce the file size without affecting quality.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom

Not sure what you are suggesting is a good idea.  As you know, when PTE optimises a video clip, it usually reduces the size which in turn takes up less room in the completed show. The two video clips I included in my latest "Cats" show were 8.03mb & 15.5mb after trimming & optimisation. I can't say what they were before optimisation as they were trimmed from the originals at the same time as optimising.  Whether your suggestion would make videos easier to use in PTE, I'm not sure. If it would, I'm all for it, but keeping file sizes small helps users with older hardware.

IMO one thing that is missing from the existing full screen "trim screen" are start /stop / & pause buttons which would give better accuracy than dragging the start & stop marks.

Regards Rosy.

Hi Rosy,

It could be an option. Convert/Trim is great but if you want to keep the original quality of the video it's better not to encode the video again (like jpeg, it not lossless). That is why software like Bandicut smart encodes only small sections to the nearest full keyframe. I would use Bandicut as external video editor but it will not save/overwrite the file. Another option that might work is a video split in the timeline (if it can keep the original video quality) like we have for audio.

A play/pause option in the convert/trim and adjust time range would be nice.

Thanks,
Tom

There are low, medium, and high quality settings for the convert/trimmer. Converted file size is variable depending on many things.

For custom video publishing there is a lossless setting, which I'm guessing adds more keyframes, higher bitrate, profile, etc. The file size is usually much larger on lossless encoding.

Video is interesting but complicated.

Thanks,
Tom