WnSoft Forums

Menus on Macs

tc_leeds

I have recently installed PTE AV Studio on my Mac and am trying to replicate menus for showing AV's as previously created in Windows. I can set up the menu but when a video or Mac exe file ends it returns to my desktop and not the menu. Any advice please?

TC

7 hours ago, davegee said:

Check this Setting for the Menu:

Untitled-1.jpg.afe6e4aa83577c81eeadc9db1a1890f6.jpg

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion but that box is already checked. Effectively what is happening is that the menu will run a video etc but when it ends the menu has been minimised rather than remaining open. It can be reopened but that is not what is required. I guess I must be doing something wrong as I have not had this problem in Windows version.

TC

I have noticed this on my Mac where the menu loses focus after playing a video or slideshow. My solution was to create .pteav slideshows (video or photos) and then run as a slideshow from the menu. The player knows it does not have to start a new process to run the .pteav data file.

Tom

On 6/22/2021 at 5:30 PM, tc_leeds said:

I have recently installed PTE AV Studio on my Mac and am trying to replicate menus for showing AV's as previously created in Windows. I can set up the menu but when a video or Mac exe file ends it returns to my desktop and not the menu. Any advice please?

Regrettably it's a behaviour of macOS. 

When you run another app (or open a video) from a fullscreen app, this original app will be minimized when launched app finishes its work and macOS will return to the desktop.

The same happens even in Finder. Enable a fullscreen view in Finder and double click on a video file to open VLC or QuickTime. When video finishes and you close the player, macOS will return you to the desktop and Finder will stay minimized.

Two workarounds: 

1. Wrap a video clip to a second show (.pteav file) and use "Run Slideshow with Return" command to run it.

Run Slideshow with Return command guarantees that a launched show will return to the menu show at the end.

2. Or switch the show to a windowed mode. In a windowed mode, the menu show will stay active when a launched app (video) closes.

I wonder if it would be possible for the player app to natively support mp4 video without requiring a .pteav container file? It seems like there is no conversion of video when creating a .pteav file?  That might add to the versatility of the player.

Tom

19 hours ago, Igor said:

Regrettably it's a behaviour of macOS. 

When you run another app (or open a video) from a fullscreen app, this original app will be minimized when launched app finishes its work and macOS will return to the desktop.

The same happens even in Finder. Enable a fullscreen view in Finder and double click on a video file to open VLC or QuickTime. When video finishes and you close the player, macOS will return you to the desktop and Finder will stay minimized.

Two workarounds: 

1. Wrap a video clip to a second show (.pteav file) and use "Run Slideshow with Return" command to run it.

Run Slideshow with Return command guarantees that a launched show will return to the menu show at the end.

2. Or switch the show to a windowed mode. In a windowed mode, the menu show will stay active when a launched app (video) closes.

Hi Igor,

Many thanks for the two solutions. I have just created a video wrap and that works well and reverts back to the menu.

Not sure about how to switch to a "windowed mode" but would like to try that as well. How is this done please?

TC

22 hours ago, tom95521 said:

I wonder if it would be possible for the player app to natively support mp4 video without requiring a .pteav container file? It seems like there is no conversion of video when creating a .pteav file?  That might add to the versatility of the player.

Tom,

Technically, it's possible, but may require a special command, because existing users may expect opening a current video player associated with a video file. Anyway, the good idea.

4 hours ago, tc_leeds said:

Many thanks for the two solutions. I have just created a video wrap and that works well and reverts back to the menu.

Glad that you found a solution.

4 hours ago, tc_leeds said:

Not sure about how to switch to a "windowed mode" but would like to try that as well. How is this done please?

In the Project Options > Screen tab > change Full screen mode to Windowed mode.

Or before call a video from a show double click on a window - it switches between a full screen and windowed mode in any show on Mac.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Tom,

Technically, it's possible, but may require a special command, because existing users may expect opening a current video player associated with a video file. Anyway, the good idea.

Posted as a suggestion.
https://www.pteavstudio.com/forums/topic/25128-add-a-new-button-action-play-video-with-return/

Thanks,
Tom

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Glad that you found a solution.

In the Project Options > Screen tab > change Full screen mode to Windowed mode.

Or before call a video from a show double click on a window - it switches between a full screen and windowed mode in any show on Mac.

Hi Igor,

Have tried "Windowed Mode" but still returns to desktop and not the menu. Will use "Wrap" method as I can get that to work OK.

Thank yo

TC